+ Reply to Thread

GETTIN' MY I-760 TOMMORROW, CANT WAIT!

After about 2 weeks of debating, i chose the i-760 without even seeing it in person. Most, if not all of the verizon stores, dont have them anymore and online they are listed as while "supplies last." I use an iphone as my cell at work, and i didnt even really consider getting one. Dont get me wrong they are great little machines, but touch keyboards only...blah! They would have to seriously increase the touch keyboards performance for me to ever consider getting one. I cant wait to get my phone tomorrow! a bit bulky...pull up your skirt sally, this is a real phone! Ive read around but what would upgrades does this phone NEED?

sorry to any and all sallys reading this, that comment was in no way directed towards you. lol

Get yourself a good finger friendly shell. PointUI is good for a free option. SPB Mobile shell is better but not free. SPB Mobile Shell 3 just came out but I still prefer version 2 myself. There are also tons of threads here in these forums about "must have" apps. Do a search.

Pointui
    Spb Mobile Shell » Products » Spb Software

Clueless Noob
    I like HTC Home, Skyfire and Icontact.

Have fun

I guess it goes without saying but I'll say it anyway. The WM6.1 upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by semper_rideo View Post
    I guess it goes without saying but I'll say it anyway. The WM6.1 upgrade
    If your getting it from Verizon new it will already have 6.1. I got mine a few months ago and it already had 6.1

yah i was stoked about it coming with 6.1 on it already.

i need to get a 2gb mem card before i start loading crap on there right?

Get an 8MB card. They're pretty cheap. I'm not sure if the i760 can handle a 16 MB or higher card.

Office depot has a sale in my area. 8GB cards for $19.99 so definately go for that. Haven't found any info on if it can handle the 16 or 32 GB cards

mgautrea- did you mean GB. i'm sure they support 2gb cards atleast, not mb.

semper-rideo - wow. 19.99, i'll go check and see if its here. i work for a gsm cell store, and i still have VERIZON, lol, our 2gb wit adapters is 34.99!!! expensive! i can get it for cost, so i might get it.

can anyone point me towards some articles intended for the technically retarded? i am AMAZED by what some of you have done to your i760, but this is my first pda. i have expierience with computers, but i always have a couple computers and dont have to worry about screwing them up. i cant even get another i760 if i wanted to now. and the saga is crap imho.

Yeah, I meant 8 GB! Maybe you can get a 8MB card for really, really cheap. LOL!

this is a great video of a guy running TouchFLO on an i760. I installed it and find it very efficient and refreshing compared to straight 6.1

YouTube - Manila 2d on a Samsung SCH-i760

heres the DL site: (you want the third option, plus the fixes after that)
    xda-developers - View Single Post - [App] [4.28.09-Update 23]M2D - NEW manila 2d build 1.20.19131530.00 NOW UP

Quote Originally Posted by montana22 View Post

can anyone point me towards some articles intended for the technically retarded? i am AMAZED by what some of you have done to your i760, but this is my first pda. i have expierience with computers, but i always have a couple computers and dont have to worry about screwing them up. i cant even get another i760 if i wanted to now. and the saga is crap imho.
    Read read read... this is the best place I've found for info on the i780. If this is your first PDA phone.. I would plan on doing a hard reset after the first month. you will find so much to play and so many options to try that you end up loading it up with a ton of stuff you won't need, and that may cause the phone to be unstable or just bogged down... I found whenever I get a new phone its a three month process of trying different apps, interfaces, and utilities, resetting, until I get the right combination that works for me... Heck that's why we all hang out here, cause we like to mess around with our phones.
    Here's my list of things to look into:
    -Somebody already mentioned Touchflo.. I like it too
    -T-9/Ezinput-There is a thread that discusses adding a SIP addon that provides T-9 functionality. I've loaded that one, but it is kind of large, but worth trying if your a T-9 warrior
    -Big button dialers-There are a few dialer apps that provide big buttons-any thing is better that the dinky buttons on the default dialers
    -AEButtonPlus- The button layout on the i760 is soo non PDA standard it drive me crazy until I got this utility and was able to reprogram in some button options
    -VitoCopyPaste- This is a cool utility that adds a copy and past function to the Center button from any place, not just when the OS or application allows it.
    -I saved the Samsung Task swapper from when the phone was WM6.0... I like it as a quick way to swap to apps as there is no "go back button" I posted it somewhere
    My personal utilities I use all the time:
    -MyMobiler- great app to have on the desktop to remotely control your PDA
    -PhoneDashboard- Track my minute usage and give me warngings as I reach my limit
    -PHM Regedit-nuff said

This ougth to keep you busy for awhile!
    Mark
    Last edited by MGuzzy; 06-05-2009 at 10:46 AM.
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

The very first thing to do to the phone is a hard reset.

Lots of setup advice from MRailing on the i730. Found here.

Then the FAQ list in red at the top of this forum. Found here.

MGuzzy- thanks for the help, i'm going to go look into all those.

Jpinsl- thanks for the help as well, i did read the faq, i did a hard reset the first day i had it.

i have had nothing but good luck with this phone so far, no freezing up or anything.

i checked to see what my data usage was at this weekend and i had somehow opened an app and left it going( my guess???) that used up 4mb. i went and checked what i was up to that night and i had just previously download the mobile manager for netflix, i must have logged in and then left it open? i thought it would have to be loading different pages to keep charging though.... i opened pandora and saw the warning about data usage so i didnt open into the program...i need unlimited data, but 30 bucks...yeeeesh

Quote Originally Posted by kiint View Post
    this is a great video of a guy running TouchFLO on an i760. I installed it and find it very efficient and refreshing compared to straight 6.1

YouTube - Manila 2d on a Samsung SCH-i760

heres the DL site: (you want the third option, plus the fixes after that)
    xda-developers - View Single Post - [App] [4.28.09-Update 23]M2D - NEW manila 2d build 1.20.19131530.00 NOW UP
    If we install this theme will we lose any other info?
    -George

George- Try the spb mobile shell 3 trial. it lasts 30 days and its only 30 bucks to keep it. it is AMAZING!!!

Yeah, I got SPB Mobil Shell 3 about two weeks ago and i love it. The new "Now" screen is much nicer and it has a ton of cool features. I haven't notice any battery drain from this program. Runs great, looks great, not expensive, easy to use and it makes our phone look a lot newer/hip-er too.

Holy hell this is nice. I really like it, it deosnt lag and it is alot easier on the eyes. Thanks for making me try it. The only thing I dont like, is that My Moblier deosnt work anymore :/
    -George

nice man...i was hoping you tried it.

i wonder which skin is the best for non stylus use. the spb mobile isnt too bad. i really expected more out of the touch screen. my girlfriend has the samsung glyde and i'm pretty sure her touch screen is better.

did you try the manila 2?

Not yet, im gonna use this for a few more days and then try some other stuff to see what I like better.
    -George