+ Reply to Thread

Horrible Reception

Just picked up a used SCH-i760 from eBay. I previously had a BB Curve 8330, but couldn't afford the data plan anymore. I couldn't remove it from my plan until I switched to a non-BB phone, so I did some shopping, reviewing, and settled on a i760. So far, I'm loving the phone; nice features, fast processing speeds, great 3rd party apps, etc etc. My only complaint so far is I can't get reception anywhere it seems. I deliver pizzas part time, so I've been around the city with it, and best I've gotten is 2 bars; most of the time I'm lucky to get one. I can't get any calls at all inside my house, and have already missed a few important ones . Is there anything I can do? I did some searching, but no one seemed to find a fix except for trading in their phone......since I bought used, I can't do that

I have not done the WM6.1 update, am connected to the EV network, not 1x, and have added SMSMinder, PointUI, S2U2, S2P, S2V, G-Alert, and G-profile.
    Last edited by RadRacer; 06-13-2009 at 02:16 AM.

Have you done a PRL update for your area?... That is dial #226 option 2
    Mark
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

if i get conneced, the call is usually dropped before i can do anything. Also, when i turned the phone on this morning, EV was replaced with 1X

found one spot in my house where I can actually make a call, but no texting. I called *228 and updated the towers or w/e it is (option 2). Still the same as before......I've also e-mailed the seller of the phone to see if I can get a replacement.....

Well, the *228x2 does seem to have helped some; I can actually make calls most of the time. I'm still only getting 1xev instead of EDVO, any idea why?

I'm thinking of doing a hard reset.....
    Last edited by RadRacer; 06-13-2009 at 11:53 PM.

Did a hard reset and backed up my pim file on my mSD card. I'm trying to copy it back over, but I can't; says it's either too large, I don't have access, or it's in use. Think I just screwed myself over, once again- first time was buying this phone, 2nd erasing all my contacts and info.....

What firmware version are you running? There is a bug that is documented here in the threads that sounds like what your are describing. I think the latest OS version was designed to fix it...
    Mark

Edit...
    PSou can use Total Commander to copy the PIM.VOL file.. just make sure non of the PIM apps are running. Personally I use PIMBackup as it will also backup call logs, texts, as well as contacts and the calendar
    Mark

It's running WM6, haven't done the 6.1 update since I don't have a USB cable. Hoping to get one here soon; any idea if I can do it off my mSD card?

I got my contacts reloaded: I renamed the original pim file; apparently you can do that while it's in use, but not move/delete/overwrite it. Then copied the original pim w/my contacts, powered on/off, and it loaded the right pim file on restart.

EDIT: looks like I have firmware v.AH08.17233
    Last edited by RadRacer; 06-14-2009 at 12:43 AM.

Look at your Software version in the, lessee I got a warranty replacement phone in March and its version i760.07 V.BJ10 19202... and I think this is fine... If I recall phones with version BD14 had the 1x/evdo issue... checkout these threads:
    EVDO, MEID? Is my phone broke?
    and
    Possible I760 Recall

Mark

PS: you'll need a USB connection to upgrade the firmware.
    Last edited by MGuzzy; 06-14-2009 at 01:18 AM.

That's what I got; i just removed the i760.07 part, assuming it was on all of them. so, it's i760.07 V.AH08.17233

And, I just ordered a USB online; should be here mid-next week. Guess I'll just have to make do until then

Yeah if you're still using WM6.0 I think its worth it update to WM6.1.. read through the upgrade thread that talks about the features that are added...like threaded texting.. I've found it to be better overall. I don't remember if it addressed any reception issues.. but the list of fixes and features are listed in the sticky threads...
    Mark

Ya, I had planned on going to 6.1, just haven't purchased a cable yet. I was checking my phone, and I don't have a MEID, just a ESN......

The other thing is you just might be in an area with poor reception...EVDO will drop to 1X with poor reception.. my home office is in a cell phone hole and I get that all the time... do you get low reception everywhere?
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by MGuzzy View Post
    do you get low reception everywhere?

Pretty much; I have a feeling a software update won't fix bad reception almost everywhere. I did find one spot where I could occasionally send a text and get EVDO......I'm probably going to send the phone back for a replacement.

I just did the update. phone is abit quicker and im now connected to EVDO , but I still get/drop signal frequently. it took me almost an hour to call in and get the phne programmed......