+ Reply to Thread

How to prevent dialing to the internet

How do I prevent the phone from dialing to the internet? I woke up this morning and for some unknow reason I had been connected via broadband access, to the internet for 6 hours.

Is there anyway I can make it atleast ask me if I want to connect via broadband? I know when it does start connecting it TELLS me it is connecting but if I dont see that then it just stays connected forever.

I dont have the plan for broadband, so it charges me to dial-up. I find there are enough wifi hot spots that I really dont need the plan.

The easiest way is to go into the connection manager and change the password to something else... that way it will never authenticate a connection.
    Mark
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

so I went

Start > Settings > Connections > Connections > Manage Existing Connections

Then I selected "Broadband Access #777" and clicked EDIT
    Then pressed NEXT
    Then pressed NEXT again
    Then Changes the password and pressed FINISH

I then opened the internet explorer to see what happens and it connected automatically without asking for a password

Did I do it wrong?

Ok, so I changed the #777 and just deleted one of the "7s" so now its stored as #77 and when I try to connect it fails.

Is this a good or bad idea?

That'll do it too.. if it doesn't dial the right number it will never connect... and if you DO need it you can always add the other "7" heh heh
    Mark
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Mardroid

Using WiFi Connection

I took out 2 of the 777 in my verizon connection because they told me I would be charged because it connects automatically. if I get a picture message I just ad it back. Another way you can do it is turn off your phone when using wifi. I'm still being charged 8 cents this month for using data and I haven't even used it. Verizon needs to fix this because I'm already paying for text mms messages and I shouldn't be charged for that data connection.

Does anyone know if you can retrieve mms messages without using the phone connection, by just using Wifi?

Thank you
    Marilene

Let me add that I was recently in Puerto Rico and my phone connected to the internet automatically so I had to call VZW as I had the phone set not to connect to the internet when romaining. FOr whatever reason, my i760 showed it being on a VZW network.

I called VZW customer support and they said they will remove the charges for data but it will take a month before the charge show up.

Sorry but I think this is BS. VZW customer support said they would call me back when they get the minutes. I believe I have a greater chance of winning the powerball than VZW callling me back.

Anyways, just to be safe I would advise changing the 777 to another number when going to Mexico, SA, CA, and/or Caribbean just to be safe. They really stick it to you on phone/data usage when in these places.

Dean