+ Reply to Thread

The End of My i760 Dynasty

I got my i760 when it first came out. I have been very happy with it. However, I have left Verizon for ATT and yes, you guessed it, an iPhone 3Gs.

I absolutely LOVE it. Like many of you, I put a tremendous effort into customizing the interface of my i760 to exactly what I wanted. This is actually a hell of a lot harder to do with a phone than it is a computer. On your computer you can trick your desktop out all you want but at the end of the day it's probably covered by your browser or some other app. But your phone? A million different sources of information have to be at the touch of your thumb at all times. That quick phone call or driving direction or whatever. It's so important.

Why You Should Stay with the i760

You are a business user - You need absolutely every feature that Outlook provides. The iPhone can do it but not unless your IT department truly embraces this. Others will argue that this can be done without them but not if you really need solid access to your Outlook.

You need to type a LOT - Again, die hard iPhone users will argue that the soft keyboard in the iPhone is as good if not better once you get used to it. Put as much effort into learning the i760 keyboard (which IMO is the best keyboard in the industry) and you will write novels with minimal effort. Before I left corporate America (recently) I used to get 300 emails a day. The quality of my responses to these emails in content, grammar and spelling often defined who I was and was key in leveraging my career. A keyboard was very important to me.

Same goes for texters. Most kids send hundreds, even thousands of texts in a day. I don't think that the i760 is an ideal phone for teens but the keyboard sure is nice.

Why I Like the Iphone More

It's better (to me) in almost every way.

First off, the applications are fantastic. Not just the ones built in but the ones that you can get at the Apple store. Most of the best ones are free. The most expensive app that I have seen so far is about $6.00. Most are closer to $1-2. But again, I have yet to spend a dime on apps because of all of the fantastic free apps. WM was terrible in this respect. Most freeware for the PPC is awful and the stuff that you pay for is $10-30. Honestly, I was going to jailbreak my phone so I wouldn't have to pay a fortune for all of the apps I wanted but I simply don't need to.

I also have to say that so many of the WM apps didn't work or were incredibly buggy. Most of them also significantly slowed the device down and forced me to reboot all the time.

I'm also thrilled to death with the interface. I ran every app and modification there is to get the i760 to look and/or act like an iPhone but it just didn't do it justice. I love the HUGE gorgeous touch screen.

Don't misread my post, I am not here to bash the i760 nor am I trying to fanboy the iPhone or get others to follow me. I just wanted to post why I made the switch after supporting this board for more than 2 years.

Thanks all for your help in the past.

Good feedback, thanks! Hope you let us know how things go with ATT. If I may ask without being rude, what is the price difference between your new vs old plans? We have been looking at doing the same thing.....

Thanks, Carlos

Quote Originally Posted by cgonzgo View Post
    Good feedback, thanks! Hope you let us know how things go with ATT. If I may ask without being rude, what is the price difference between your new vs old plans? We have been looking at doing the same thing.....

Thanks, Carlos
    The plans are identical (for me). With both carriers I got unlimited data, 450 minutes and a minimal text message package. Both prices were the same.

So far, as a carrier, ATT has been excellent, better in fact than Verizon in my area (SF Bay). I consistently looked at how many bars I had with Verizon in various key places that I frequent and ATT has had more bars in those locations. Of course I can't guarantee you will see similar results.

I came from AT&T to Verizon because of the lack of coverage. I travel all over the country and Verizon has better coverage overall. there may be places where my coverage is weaker but on the whole I have stronger coverage more places than AT&T.

On the drive between Clearwater, FL and Tallahassee up US 19 I always have coverage, sometimes weak i admit. My partner has AT&T and on several stretches has no coverage for half and hour or so.

I'd like to play with the IPhone. if it comes to Verizon I may try it.

Quote Originally Posted by lwleedy View Post
    I came from AT&T to Verizon because of the lack of coverage. I travel all over the country and Verizon has better coverage overall. there may be places where my coverage is weaker but on the whole I have stronger coverage more places than AT&T.

On the drive between Clearwater, FL and Tallahassee up US 19 I always have coverage, sometimes weak i admit. My partner has AT&T and on several stretches has no coverage for half and hour or so.

I'd like to play with the IPhone. if it comes to Verizon I may try it.
    I used to travel a lot too. Verizon will be superior nationally for sure.

The word is that the iPhone will not come to Verizon until their 4G network is done and a 4G iPhone comes out. That could be a very long time from now.

I have been doing business on the road for a lot of years. What I am finding (personally) is that as time goes on, email is has become more and more of a standard for communication and phone calls have reduced dramatically and that's coming from someone who has been in sales for 20 years.

Phone calls are certainly still mission critical for business but let's face it, if you really want to have a solid connection with your customers at any given time you will manage your time to make those critical calls from a land line. Even on Verizon in an area known for having good coverage I can drop calls.