+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is it just me or does the i-760 NOT sync with Outlook??

I've looked around the other threads but I did not find any definitive answer.

SURELY the i-760 will sync with Outlook...right?

I am running XP, have ActiveSync, and the i760 version says:

s/w version: S:i760.07 v.BJ10.19202

h/w version: H:i760.07.V.Q

I can't get any calendar features to sync, only LOW tasks will sync, and emails are only unread emails....What am I doing wrong?

the definitive answer is YES

If some features are not syncing they may have been deselected in the options. I assume you already have Active Sync installed and running on your PC.. in other words it connects. Click on the Tools pull down>options and freom there you can select the Outlook items that you want to sync..
    Hope that works
    Mark
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

so there is hope...

Thanks MGuzzy for the definitive answer...now I just gotta figure why it isn't syncing.

I do have ActiveSync installed and running. I have everything in the options menu you mentioned selected (check in the box) except media center selected to sync.

Only my Notes and Files sync properly - tasks, emails, contacts, and calendar just don't share info from the PC to the i760...

I'm completely stumped...

Quote Originally Posted by dcarr102 View Post
    Thanks MGuzzy for the definitive answer...now I just gotta figure why it isn't syncing.

I do have ActiveSync installed and running. I have everything in the options menu you mentioned selected (check in the box) except media center selected to sync.

Only my Notes and Files sync properly - tasks, emails, contacts, and calendar just don't share info from the PC to the i760...

I'm completely stumped...
    When you say "Sync with Outlook" do you mean to your Outlook on your computer at home or do you mean the Outlook for the company that you work for? And by Sync do you mean you want your Outlook stuff to sync when you plug your device into your computer or do you mean real time access to everything in Outlook wirelessly wherever you go?

If you want to be wireless to your company's Outlook then you need to connect to an Exchange server. Your IT department has to do that.

If you want to have real time wireless access to your own Outlook that isn't running on a server then I need more info. What mail account are you running on Outlook? Is it a web based email like Gmail or Yahoo that you just use Outlook to run it rather than using a browser?

Sync to Outlook - Sync to Outlook on my computer at home.

By sync I mean Outlook stuff (mail, tasks, calendar) to sync with i760 when connected to the computer.

Thanks

Sync to Outlook - Sync to Outlook on my computer at home.

By sync I mean Outlook stuff (mail, tasks, calendar) to sync with i760 when connected to the computer.

Thanks
    Ok that we can fix. I need some info though. What is the source of your email, calendar, etc. Is it Gmail, Comcast or Yahoo Mail set up to run in your Outlook client?

What happens when you attempt to sync with your computer? Vista or XP? Does Sync recognize your device but not transfer your email and stuff? Or can you not Sync at all?

I realize that we are talking about a wired connection, not wireless but do you have a data plan in the event that you'd want to sync wirelessly?

Comast

Computer OS is XP Media Center Edition.

When I connect, ActiveSync runs and goes through the process of syncing yet nothing shows up in my calendar on my phone; only completed task show up or low active task; only unread email will sync.

Wired connection via USB when syncing...no data plan - I just access web through wifi.

Have you looked in the logs to if there is any sync errors? Also what version of Outlook and What version of AS are you using. I've seen errors syncing certain items (Contacts but not calendar for example) when there are errors in the PST file on the PC [that can be usually be fixed by running ScanPST on your PC] or corruptions in the PIM.vol file on the Phone (backup your PIM data with dotfreds PIMbackup utility, delete the PIM.vol and let the system create a new one)...
    There's a couple of ideas.
    Mark

Outlook is 2007
    ActiveSync is Version 4.5.0 (Build 5096)

I am not sure how to locate the current PST files - I scanned my backup PST file and it did find some errors. I guess I could backup Outlook, scan the backup, then restore that backup...

I ran the PIMbackup utility and made a copy of my current files and saved that copy onto my SD card. I used FileExplorer to find the PIM file, tried to delete it but got the following error:

Problem deleting the file "pim"

Any suggestions?

I greatly appreciate your help so far

To find your current PST.. from in outlook there are a few ways (the steps are paraphrased for quick typing)..
    1) go to Tools>accounts> data files and you'll see were your email is being delivered to...
    2) go to folder view>right click on the Personal folder>properties>Advanced and you should see the location of your PST in the filename field. YOu can copy the path from here and paste it into an explorer window.. to get to the folder.
    When you run ScanPST make sure you are running the most recent version... Its likely you may have different versions on your PST here and there. if you have Office 2007 it would have installed one too. what I do is search the hard drive for ScanPST and then run the one with the most recent date.

To delete the PIM.vol file you'll need to use a third party app because the built in file explorer will see it as a system file and won't let your delete it. I like Total Commander its free and very featured... also make sure you don't have any apps running that could be access the file, like the calendar or contacts app. use the task manager to kill any programs..
    Mark

OK. I found the current PST files and ran the ScanPST - no difference in the sync

I installed TC to my mobile. Ended all task through the task manager. Ran TC and attemted to delete the PIM.vol but got the same error saying that the file could not be deleted.

Try doing a soft reset...

Done...still no change.

What about performing a hard reset...I've got nothing on the phone that I wouldn't care to lose?

From what I have read, that would delete all the info in the current PIM file.

Yes... if that option is alright.. then you setup a new partnership within ActiveSync.. which may be a good thing as well.. Hard reset AWayyyyyy
    gotta go see some clients... keep us posted..
    Mark

Well...hard reset performed.

Still acts the same. Here the oddity in it all...

Emails - nothing syncs unless it is unread
    Calendar - nothing syncs period
    Task - nothing synced
    Contacts - I had a lot of contacts that synced but by no means all of them - it is like it found another/older "contact" folder and synced it - that's the strangest one...syncing but not my current contact list!

Looks like a dead end right now. I got the phone for 2 main reasons - Wifi and syncing...sure wished I could sync this baby.

Just had a thought.. ActiveSync will only sync with the items in your primary personal folder (PST)... are you storing some of your stuff in an alternate PST file? In other words do you have multiple Personal folders open in your Outlook?
    Mark

When I look at the data file area I only see 1 pst file.

I made a backup of this file then deleted it through the desktop file explorer.

I created a new pst file and tried syncing - still didn't sync properly. I then reloaded the current backup of my pst file and nothing has changed on the syn end of things. Still not working...arggggghhhhh

Well...hard reset performed.

Still acts the same. Here the oddity in it all...

Emails - nothing syncs unless it is unread
    Calendar - nothing syncs period
    Task - nothing synced
    Contacts - I had a lot of contacts that synced but by no means all of them - it is like it found another/older "contact" folder and synced it - that's the strangest one...syncing but not my current contact list!

Looks like a dead end right now. I got the phone for 2 main reasons - Wifi and syncing...sure wished I could sync this baby.
    This is getting annoying! It should just work! Ok so I reread the whole thread... and made the following observations
    1) Files and notes DO sync (these items are external to Outlook) but anything in from Outlook DOESN'T. Or at least originally it didn't but now it syncs some stuff... Has the behavior changed since doing the things we tried?

2) When you say "it found another Contact folder" makes me think that everything is working but perhaps its syncing with another PST. If you go to folder view do you see more than one Personal Folder, more than one top level item in that tree? Each one would correspond to a PST file, often Archive folders get left open too. OR go to Tools>accounts> and check to see there is more than one personal folders listed in the drop down that shows the available data files.

3.) Have you looked in the Active Sync log files to see if they indicate anything is amiss... reference the website for where the files are stored:
    ActiveSync 4.x Troubleshooting Guide - Logs & Services

It sounds like its syncing from something... I'm trying to figure out from where. If its not that, that leaves some setting somewhere..
    Mark

Also check out this at Chris's website
    ActiveSync 3.x Troubleshooting Guide - Missing Calendar, Contacts or Task Items

You never said if the ActiveSync settings were set to Sync all items or if they were set to something else.
    Mark
    Last edited by MGuzzy; 06-30-2009 at 09:12 AM.