+ Reply to Thread

USB Charger WITHOUT Syncing?

Sorry everyone... I looked and did not find an answer. Any help appreciated. I am looking to charge my i760 via a USB cable WITHOUT syncing with that computer. I use multiple computers and have had some glitches when syncing with more than one laptop.

I find PLENTY of USB chargers that will charge AND sync... however, they will not with what I need. I am just looking for a basic cable that I can coil up and stick in my laptop bag... and the shorter the cable, the better.

Any help?

Just use the Charger Base and don't plug in the USB cable. or use the cable that came with the base it doesn't sync.
    Lenny

Lenny,

Thank you for the reply. I am simply hoping to avoid dragging around bulky items in my laptop bag. I am also hoping to charge my i760 by connecting it directly to my laptop (thru a USB cable) and yet NOT sync my info while doing it.

Thanks again.

I know that if you split open the cable and cut one of the wires, it will do what you want, but unfortunately I don't know which are the signal and which are the power wires so I don't know which ones to cut, and that is probably not the kind of thing you want to experiment with unless you have an old PC you don't care about.

Alan

You could probably use one of the 3rd party sync&charge cables, but don't establish the partnership with the laptop. If you don't need to sync with the laptop, there is not even a reason to install Activesync (or whatever it's called in Vista). The power should still flow through the USB even if the sync software is missing.
    Otherwise, get a universal USB power adapter along with a sync&charge cable.

I'm not sure what OS you are using... with Vista you get a prompt asking if you want to explore the device or sync.... If you choose Explore is disables syncing.

For WinXp, here's something that I've done. I use a program called WM5torage that allows you to access the SD card in the phone as if it were a mass storage device (thumbdrive). It will disable ActiveSync, but charging still works. Great freeware; just Google it or you can find it at the Author's forum over at Modaco.com
    WM5torage - WinMo @ MoDaCo

Mark
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Yes, I was going to suggest that because it's precisely what I've done in the past, but it does limit what you can do on the phone while activated (although the latest version boasted read-only access to the card while activated?)

The other alternative is to plug it into a Linux (or MAC) box.

* On the second laptop - couldn't you just not have ActiveSync installed or is it all automated in Vista? If you do have ActiveSync or the Vista equivalent can't you just uncheck every sync option - like I have it ready to sync my Calendar and Contacts, but not my tasks. Could uncheck them all.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

I have Windows XP Pro. I also have Activesync installed. I thought about removing Activesync... but then I remembered all the warnings with the phone... "WARNING... WARNING... DANGER... DANGER" about not connecting the phone to a computer without Activesync already installed. Has anyone ever had their phone connected without Activesync installed?

Go in to Active Sync or WMDC (depending on OS) and uncheck the box to sync over USB. Then you'll get power, but no sync connection.

DOH! I will try this tomorrow. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelPastor View Post
    I have Windows XP Pro. I also have Activesync installed. I thought about removing Activesync... but then I remembered all the warnings with the phone... "WARNING... WARNING... DANGER... DANGER" about not connecting the phone to a computer without Activesync already installed. Has anyone ever had their phone connected without Activesync installed?
    Danger Will Robinson!.. LOL.

If you uncheck the sync option its just like plugging in your phone without ActiveSync installed... I can only imagine it will burp when it can't find drivers to install. That's why I suggested the W5storage option so you get some functionality out of the connection!
    Mark

It really won't burp. I've done this numerous times with different phones (i730, Kaiser, Touch Pro 2) without an issue. I recall it installing a generic modem driver without any issue (that's how it saw the phone without AS), but you'd be safe to cancel the driver installation altogether since you don't actually care if the phone gets anything but power from the connection.

Well I use the term "burp" loosely in that you get the driver notification and I too just cancel out and go about my merry way. As I recall on my system because I had done a firmware upgrade at one time it just loads the Samsung drivers.
    mark

Charge Without Sync

USB uses the two middle pins for data and the two outer pins for power. See USB Pinouts.ru.

/******
    I have not tested the following hack, but the concept should work. I have hacked an old data/charge cable to power an LED light for my keyboard and that worked. The concepts are the same, neither need the data pins/wires.
    *******/
    Here goes....

So you don't have to mess up your data/charge cable, you could hack up a passive USB extension cable. Most of these are like 6ft long, so you could try a couple mods before you run out of wire. I'd try striping the extender somewhere around the middle of the cable.
    !WARNING!: If you get the wiring wrong (like twisting the 5v lead to either data wire) you could really mess up your device. So make sure you get the wire colors right. That said, their should be one white and one black wire for data. The red and green wires should be the 5v and the ground respectively. Use a multimeter or something like that to make sure you know which wires are which.
    Short the data wires. Just cut em, strip em, and twist em together (D+ to D-, should just be white to black). Do this for the data wires coming from both the male and female ends of the extender. Then try plugging your charge/data cable into your hacked extension to make sure this thing will work.
    GEEKNOTE: Some USB ports will not work at all if you just cut the data wires and don't short them, probably to protect your machine.
    If this hacked up extender will let you charge without sync, then go ahead and cut everything down to a really short length, like 2inches long, and re-connect all the wires with the shorts and everything. That way you have a much smaller cable to carry.

Hope that helps.
    I wouldn't say I've been missing it Bob.