+ Reply to Thread

Can the on-screen keyboard not pop-up?

Is there any way to configure the virtual on-screen keyboard to NOT pop-up unless I press that little keyboard icon that shows up on the bottom center of the screen? Thanks.

Check out this thread for some possible ideas on that.

-Max
    Last edited by Max Peck; 07-09-2009 at 03:27 PM.
    General Aviation is not the stepchild of modern aviation, it is it's father.

Is this with the keyboard slid out or left in? My virtual keyboard only pops up when the phone is closed (I don't type without the regular keyboard).

Quote Originally Posted by Max Peck View Post
    Check out this thread for some possible ideas on that.

-Max
    I checked out that forum. The following reg change:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Sip\AllowChange (DWORD)
    from its default 1 to 0

That just completely disabled the on screen keyboard, I dont want to do that. I just dont want it to pop up unless I click on it.

"PHM's Pocket PC Power Toys" and ZENOkeyboard are blank keyboards so when I needed it I would have to click on the keyboard icon then choose a keyboard then when done typing I would have to click the keyboard icon again then choose the blank keyboard again. Thats kind of a pain too.

Any other thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by 2ksilverbullet View Post
    Is this with the keyboard slid out or left in? My virtual keyboard only pops up when the phone is closed (I don't type without the regular keyboard).
    If the phone is closed my virtual keyboard will pop up in any app that requires text input. For example just opening my text messages screen will popup the keyboard so I have to click the keyboard icon at the bottom to hide it so I can see my text messages.

There is a tweak tool for the HTC Diamond called "DiamondTweak". Tweak 20 says:

20. Keyboard (SIP)
    20.1 Automatic display (popup)
    20.2 T9 Mode
    20.3 Suggest Words

Looks like 20.1 is exactly what I am looking for. The Diamond is a Windows mobile device so this must be possible to do on our phone too. I'm a little frightened to install this on my i760. Can someone offer guidance?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=409540

Quote Originally Posted by marioval View Post
    I checked out that forum. The following reg change:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Sip\AllowChange (DWORD)
    from its default 1 to 0

That just completely disabled the on screen keyboard, I dont want to do that. I just dont want it to pop up unless I click on it.

"PHM's Pocket PC Power Toys" and ZENOkeyboard are blank keyboards so when I needed it I would have to click on the keyboard icon then choose a keyboard then when done typing I would have to click the keyboard icon again then choose the blank keyboard again. Thats kind of a pain too.

Any other thoughts?
    Yeah, I tried the registry setting myself - sure enough it completely disabled the SIP. Not what I had in mind. Good thing the device has an actual keyboard or it would have been hard-reset time!

-Max

Quote Originally Posted by Max Peck View Post
    Yeah, I tried the registry setting myself - sure enough it completely disabled the SIP. Not what I had in mind. Good thing the device has an actual keyboard or it would have been hard-reset time!

-Max
    Yeah I exported the reg key before I tried so I would have been ok either way.

Weird, that mine never pops up automatically, never has on any of the 4 i760's that I have had.

Quote Originally Posted by cgonzgo View Post
    Weird, that mine never pops up automatically, never has on any of the 4 i760's that I have had.
    You must happen to not be using any applications that do that. The SIP doesn't pop up "automatically" - it is directed to do so by the writer of the application.

-Max