+ Reply to Thread

i760 and Verizon MiFi 2200 hotspot

Has anyone been successful in connecting the i760 with the MiFi mobile hotspot?

MIFI?

Quote Originally Posted by pabill View Post
    Has anyone been successful in connecting the i760 with the MiFi mobile hotspot?
    Don't have any personal experience with it, but should connect just like any other WIFI link.
    Question is, Why would you want to? The 760 already does what the MIFI does! As a matter of fact, you can use WMWIFIRouter to accomplish the same thing. i.e. Connect your laptop to the 3G data line with WIFI.
    Don't see any reason to use it or pay more for the same data usage.

John

Quote Originally Posted by jjwaller View Post
    Don't have any personal experience with it, but should connect just like any other WIFI link.
    Question is, Why would you want to? The 760 already does what the MIFI does! As a matter of fact, you can use WMWIFIRouter to accomplish the same thing. i.e. Connect your laptop to the 3G data line with WIFI.
    Don't see any reason to use it or pay more for the same data usage.

John

I already had the MiFi for laptop use before I got the i760 from a friend who upgraded to something else. I can use the i760 without a data plan and was planning to connect it to the MiFi. Problem is, the MiFi works fine with the laptop and the i760 works fine with other WiFi hotspots but not with the MiFi. I spent a good while on the phone with Verizon tech support and they couldn't get it to work either. Then they said to install Windows Mobile 6.1 which I did... and it still won't recognize the MiFi.

One forum said that Verizon had blocked the i760 from working with the MiFi but tech support said no. I was hoping to find somebody who had gotten it to work to see if it was actually possible.

The i760 has trouble connecting to any WiFi that doesn't broadcast its SSID. Check the settings on your MiFi to make sure it is broadcasting the SSID. Might want to change from WPA2 back to just WEP at least for testing too, although with the 6.1 upgrade you should be able to do WPA2.

Alan

Still, why pay $60.00 a month when the same data plan for the 760
    is $30.00 a month and the 760 will do the same thing as the MIFI thing?!
    Cancel the MIFI and get the fully functional plan for the 760.
    Tether to the 760 with either ICS, free cab file (which verizon deleted)
    or WMFIRouter (30.00) for full WIFI hotspot ability. Do a search for Tethering
    on this forum.
    Makes sense to me.

MiFi FW upgrade is needed, and it will fix problem. Issue is with router FW used, expect FW upgrade soon.

Quote Originally Posted by pme991 View Post
    MiFi FW upgrade is needed, and it will fix problem. Issue is with router FW used, expect FW upgrade soon.
    thanks... would that FW upgrade likely come from novatel or from verizon?

Quote Originally Posted by pabill View Post
    thanks... would that FW upgrade likely come from novatel or from verizon?
    It would come from VZW, they need to approve all FW releases.