+ Reply to Thread

Sorry guys, I finally jumped ship

Well, I sold my i760 yesterday, and got the new BB Tour. I sold my i760 to a guy locally, for $100. I figured that was a pretty good price. The BB will take some getting used to, but so far, I like it.

One interesting note:
    When I tried to do a hard reset on my i760, to clear my data, the phone asked for a password. I never set any sort of password, so I was pretty confused (and looked stupid in front of the guy who was buying it). I went into the password settings and confirmed that I had no password. Finally, I just created a password, then used it to do the hard reset. Why would it ask for a password when there is none? Oh well.

Also, when the salesman saw that I had the $29.99 data plan, he told me that I shouldn't have been able to get that for the i760. He said technically that data plan isn't for that phone. But I know pretty much everyone on this forum has it. Hmm. . . .

Thanks for all the help guys, you certainly make it easier for non-tech guys guys like me.
    Last edited by Stromboy84; 07-21-2009 at 10:16 AM.

I read alot of these types of threads and I'm sure the phone isn't for everyone. I have to say, I'm a techy nerd at heart but just don't have the time to devote to it that I used to (4 kids later!!) but this phone ALMOST does it all for me. I have had next to zero issues (as I knock on my crappy wood laminate desk). I mainly use it for entertainment (Sirius, Pandora, games, etc) so I can't speak from a corporate users perspective but this phone is solid. I think I've had to hard reset 2 times in almost 2 years, and one of those was because I found the apps I needed and wanted to wipe the phone and start from scratch.

If only it had built in GPS. Although I'm certain it would die a quick and painless death strapped to the handlebars on my dual sport bike...

I would LOVE to hear a compare and contrast of the two(i760 and BlackBerry Tour) since that is the one I am leaning heavily towards now that my Verizon 2yr contract is up.

Here are some of the main things I LOVE about the i760 and use most often and will need to be 100% sure you get after the move to the Tour:
    -Ability to sync with my MS Outlook (at home - no server involvement)
    -Ability for ALL of the MS contact info to migrate into the Blackberry in a similar fashion (contact photo, notes, birthdays etc ALL included)
    -Ability to set reminders on calendar events that SYNC with Outlook - i.e. 30minute reminder before a conference call (that I can then snooze for 15 minutes etc)
    -Different ringtones for different people
    -Different ringer settings changed QUICKLY as I move from a meeting (silent/vibrate) to my office (LOUD) etc.
    That's the brief list - I plan on going in to a VZ store to take a look at one but what are your initial impressions of it? I would love to hear more about it - THANKS and good luck!!

-B
    Last edited by Bmann; 07-22-2009 at 07:02 PM.

Hey stromboy84, would you be able to try amAzeGPS on your tour and report how it works? There is no Tour version but I think the Bold version will work. make sure you download specifically the Verizon version. Let me know how the following works if you can:

*Map accuracy
    *Yellowpages search accuracy
    *Internal GPS works
    *Voice Navigation works

Thanks

here's the download link, use the first link on the page that says "Download application that fix GPS problem for BlackBerry Verizon 9000 (Bold) [jad] (722 KB)"

Also make sure to write down the username and password that gets generated at the top of the page

download amAze
    Last edited by marioval; 07-23-2009 at 08:35 AM.

Bmann- I just got it 2 days ago, and have been moving, so I haven't done much with it besides email and internet. I haven't synced it yet, because apparently, Blackberry is getting ready to release a Mac version of their desktop software (so you don't have to use 3rd party stuff). So I can't really answer your questions, but I will say that I love the Tour.

marioval- amAzegps was the first gps software I download. For some reason, I can't get it to find any satellites. But other software like BB Maps, Nav4All, and Google Maps work great with the GPS. Other Tour users apparently like amAzegps, so maybe I'm doing something wrong. Again, I've only had it for like 3 days, during which I've been moving.