+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Flashlight application for i760 that works

Believe it or not i recently bought a sch-i760. I have used many pda phones, but i really am liking this phone. Anyway, i came from the ppc-6800 which had a cool flashlight app that allowed me to turn on my flash very easy. Anyway, I just thought that i would report that a new application that says its only for the omnia does work on my 760. You can check it out here

mFlash freeware for Windows Mobile Pocket PC.

Its called mflash. I looked through the forum and didn't see that anyone has reported this yet, so if someone has already posted this info sorry.

This was a great find for me.

I forgot you will have to install .net framework 3.5 if you don't have it already. just google ".net framework 3.5 .cab" and you should find a .cab file that is easy to install
    Last edited by mooneyb; 08-08-2009 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Additional info

Good find.. I can't wait to try it. I tried writing a flashlight app but couldn't find the hardware calls to enable it as they are on the HTC devices. So the closest thing we had figured out was to turn the flash on with the camera in Video mode.
    Edit: works great! I love the turn any text into a morse code text message! and disco strobe will make me the life of the party!
    Mark
    Last edited by MGuzzy; 08-10-2009 at 12:51 AM.
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

I have wanted this for some time now. I remember we had a thread on this a while back, but we all resigned ourselves to turning on the video camera as MGuzzy said.

I saw this app but was scared away by the "Omnia only" warnings. Thank you for being our test pilot on this - I will try it immediately. Thanks and welcome

* awesome -works fine so far - has morse code and a strobe - it's the simple things in life.
    Last edited by luca_bras1; 08-09-2009 at 10:41 AM.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

The only thing lacking now is being able to map a hardware button to the on switch in the is program. Oh well, I am happy with the way it is.

So how is a flashlight app better than just turning the screen on? Or is your goal to make this as complicated as possible?

That is fine for most situations and I have a little app pLamp which gives you an all white screen.

This toggles on the camera's led flash which is much brighter (same as turning on the video camera). It is very handy and it is only 70k on my storage card so no worries.

I could not get it to work. Got error message. Tried soft reset and reinstall, to no avail.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Tizi View Post
    I could not get it to work. Got error message. Tried soft reset and reinstall, to no avail.
    I had the same problem. I installed the net framework 3.5 .cab and it works great.

Ha! I actually had a use for it today.... I was behind a PC trying to read the serial number with no light... what to do? pull out the trusty, i760 and fire up the light! It was great!

I noticed on thing though ... if you tell it to 'morse' a long message it may get stuck strobing!.. It kept strobing even though I exited the program. I ended up having to soft reset.
    Mark
    Last edited by MGuzzy; 08-11-2009 at 12:33 AM.

Great application. That light is bright! I also had to upgrade my .Net Framework to make it work correctly and that SOS is awesome too. Great find.

My only complaint is that by default I would want the light to go on as soon as fire up the application and shut off when I exit.

Also, softkey support - is it very difficult to incorporate? No complaints tho - this is so much better than firing up the camcorder which can take more than a few seconds.

This is why I love this phone. This will come in handy so often, its not even funny. I showed my gf this app and she was very impressed with it. She also knows I love my phone more than her.

When I tried to use this, I realized I had to upgrade the .NET framework as suggested. It says that it requires 6M of space. Does this seem right to you guys? I keep all my apps in main memory now and that would have a big impact.

I don't mean to hijack a thread, but I'd like to suggest a different LEd flashlight app.

Samsung i760 Camera LED Flashlight Digital Moose Tracks

This one is very simple. You can't map any buttons, but it uses the soft buttons to turn the flash on and off, and has adjustable on time and cooldown timers to help you not burn out your LED.

This little app has worked wonders for me, has never locked up or skitzed out, and the app cab and required samsung cab add up to under 700k, so it's very small

No hijacking at all. Thanks for mentioning this app. I've never seen that one.
    Mark

Hmm, interesting. I'm a bit concerned about the API install - what is that exactly? Is that like a platform on which the flashlight application runs? Do they have to be installed to device or is installing to the SD card ok?

I'd be willing to switch just for the soft-key support (YAY!) alone, but for some reason the API thing has me worried.

Quote Originally Posted by dezined View Post
    I don't mean to hijack a thread, but I'd like to suggest a different LEd flashlight app.

Samsung i760 Camera LED Flashlight Digital Moose Tracks

This one is very simple. You can't map any buttons, but it uses the soft buttons to turn the flash on and off, and has adjustable on time and cooldown timers to help you not burn out your LED.

This little app has worked wonders for me, has never locked up or skitzed out, and the app cab and required samsung cab add up to under 700k, so it's very small
    tried this download but when I tried to click on and use it a
    pop up said I need a newer version of .net frameworkcab. This phone is only 5 months old from VZW.

Your probably need .net framework 3.5 - MANY useful WM applications require this so it's in your best interest to install it imo.

I believe this is what you want, but do double check my work.

Download details: .NET Compact Framework 3.5 Redistributable

Thats the same one I found but
    wow 33mb,can I put it on the SD card?

I posted a link to this thread at XDA awhile back.. here it is again. you can get the .net for PPC. I've tried this little mod and I think it works.
    Updated 3/3/2008**GUIDE: Speed up OEM ROMS with NETCF3.5 without cooking - xda-developers
    Mark
    Last edited by MGuzzy; 01-05-2010 at 10:14 PM.