+ Reply to Thread

New "Page Plus" Unlimited Voice and Text plus 20MB plans...

Just wanted to give you guys a heads up on the winds of change in the pre-paid cellular market. Page Plus seems to be throwing down the mallet with their new $39.99 Unlimited Voice/Text with 20 MB of Data Plan. After being gouged by VZW for several years now on lackluster, overpriced plans and services, I am jumping ship to these guys. I spoke to a CSR and they are able to activate my I760 on their network without difficulty whenever I am ready. Page Plus uses VZW's [pre-paid] network, so compatibility is a non-issue and I only use wifi on my I760, so I could care less about broadband.

I actually called VZW to find out if they have a retention plan or anything in response to this. The rep just tried to get me to switch to one of their Nationwide Select plans for $79 or so, and just had no idea what to do in this situation. Finally, she just said that VZW does not price match plans with ANY company whatsoever and I just thanked her for her time and hung up.

Only things that worry me are the lack of handset insurance for the I760 and the ability to tell when I am roaming on the I760, so not to incur additional charges. The former is not a huge issue, as I can just pick up another I760 off of Ebay or whatever pretty reasonably. And for the latter, I will just have to see, as I have not had to worry about roaming charges since like 2003 or so.

If any of you guys have a complaint or story to share about Page Plus's service or anything, please do. I would be interested to hear any firsthand experience by I760 owners or whomever else.

Page Plus - Prepaid Wireless

Clueless Noob
    My wife has been on PP for voice for over a year without a hitch. they have saved us a ton of cash on her phone vs VZW. I will have to check out his new option for me. THANKS!

What area/loaction is this for? Is this nation wide? I'm in NY and wouldn't mind reducing my phone bill ($62.00is a month) with no data plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Fannatick View Post
    What area/loaction is this for? Is this nation wide? I'm in NY and wouldn't mind reducing my phone bill ($62.00is a month) with no data plan.

Page Plus has the same exact coverage as VZW's Pre-Paid Service Coverage Area, which is a very wide encompassing areaa and it is Nationwide for the most part.

This looks promising, what is the difference between vzw's pre paid coverage area and the regular contract area? and 20 mb should be enough for light web browsing and checking gmail regularly shouldn't it?
    Last edited by bell boy; 08-15-2009 at 07:36 AM.

The other thing that might be a factor is does it use broadband or WAP only? If it is the later how will it effect the i760?
    Turbo please keep us posted how it goes for you cause I just got an email from CS and they said internet won't work w/ the i760, another CS on the phone told me the only way to find out would be to try it by opening an account.
    Last edited by bell boy; 08-17-2009 at 09:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bell boy View Post
    The other thing that might be a factor is does it use broadband or WAP only? If it is the later how will it effect the i760?
    Turbo please keep us posted how it goes for you cause I just got an email from CS and they said internet won't work w/ the i760, another CS on the phone told me the only way to find out would be to try it by opening an account.
    Well, I took the plunge and switched to Page Plus [PP] last week. It was a pretty straightforward process. I ported my VZW number to them and it took about 3 hours to get me back up and running again. As I stated before, I don't need data as I use WiFi only, so the Unlimited Text and Talk Plan plus 20MB [UTnT] is perfect for me. However, supposedly internet on the I760 works out of the box but I have not tested it to be certain, and honestly I could care less if it does as data can get pretty expensive on prepaid. What I can confirm is that the service is awesome [same as it was with VZW ] and I have yet to experience roaming [charges] in the greater Chicago area. There is no tax or additional fees with Page Plus, so $39.99 is all you pay every 30 days, period. I even bought the initial $40 UTnT activation card from an online discounter for $36 [again no tax], and a couple of $50 refill cards for about $45, which brings my cost down even more. In addition, PP gives you a $12 credit to your account for porting a number over to them.
    If you don't send many picture messages, care less about mobile data access and don't want to spend $120 per month for a comparable VZW plan, then the Page Plus UTnT plan is pure win.

Thanks for the update. Let me know if you ever try to use the data. I primarily use wifi but would like to check email and weather occasionaly while on the road so confirming that the browser is functional will seal the deal for me and I too will change to PP

Quote Originally Posted by bell boy View Post
    Thanks for the update. Let me know if you ever try to use the data. I primarily use wifi but would like to check email and weather occasionaly while on the road so confirming that the browser is functional will seal the deal for me and I too will change to PP
    As I have said previously, per the guys over on HowardForums, all Verizon PDA's have the internet working out of the box w/o need for modifications. But I believe they charge something like $0.60/MB or so over the 20MB that you are allotted with the UNnT Plan, so YMMV.

http://wiki.howardforums.com/index.php/Page_Plus

Thanks I am aware that the browser works out of the box, it works fine right now and I have looked at the plan and know that they charge .0012/kb. My concern is as I have stated earlier is they use wireless aplication protecal to send data as opposed to broadband and I want to make sure it will work w/ the i760. In my conversations w/ their CS I have not gotten a difinitive answer. One of them said the only way to know if it will work w/ this phone is to try their service. I do not feel like canceling my current contract to try page plus only to find out it doesn't work. This is were you could be of assistance and let me know if the browser works w/ their data method. I primarily use wifi but would like to know if their data transfer is compatible w/ this phone. So if you happen to take the chance and see if it works I would be grateful to know the outcome. Thanks in advance.

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    I would like to know this to.

Would like to use opera or pie with the 20mb you get with PP plan.

Turbo,
    Please let us what you have found out? I have spoke w/ customer service and this is what I get
    "The smart phones will use a different means of connecting to the internet that is not provided or supported by Page Plus. Since it is not supported by Page Plus, we will not be able to be of assistance in setting this service up. We recommend you check online with some of the different forums out there to see how to set up this service."
    We are really interested if their data works w/ the i760 to complement the wifi I primarily use.

Sorry for the harassment but It seems as though it works fine
    http://wiki.howardforums.com/index.p..._and_Page_Plus
    HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - Can't use internet with Verizon phones??
    your confirmation would seal the deal
    Last edited by bell boy; 09-02-2009 at 08:04 AM.

I just ordered a SCH - i760 off ebay to use with PagePlus. I had a palm treoo 700w hooked up on it before and the data worked fine. I hope the new new phone coming will too. I will let you know. As far as PagePlus, it is awesome. There is a rumor going on that they will be offering a data plan soon.

Thanks, I have yet to do the jump to PP and this is a determining factor. It would be nice if someone could figure out how to use QNC w/ the i760 as well

got the sch - i760.... works great on pageplus. Data works great through wifi and edvo!

this is a great option, will have to look into it