+ Reply to Thread

Buying new i760 through Verizon?

Hey noob here,

My ne2 is up and I am sick of paying the data plan and tether for crap service. I have found that this is the only phone that I could get that might be wifi capable. I looked on the Verizon website and they said you cannot purchase it online. I have yet to go into a store cuz I will here the usual "why don't you want a data plan?". Has anyone recently bought one with ne2? If not through verizon, how about amazon? I would like to get a new 1, not used. It feels like verizon is trying to get rid of this phone so they will have to make everyone pay for the data plan. By the way great website! And possibly i760!,
    thanks for the help

Post Verizon and i760

I got mine through Verizon on-line. When I called to ask some questions about it they wanted to "give" it to me for $170. On-line it was $0 because of the NE2. It does have WiFi and hooks up with my FIOS router without a problem. You do not need a data plan with the i760 unless you want one. I hate Verizon but they do offer the best coverage in my area.

I second going throught Ebay

Hey Gjish,
    When did you buy it off of verizon? I didn't log into my account yet, but it said it is no longer available online. I hate verizon as well, but also need the coverage. To you ebay guys, is the phone new or refurbished that you bought. Im hoping not to spend the money especially if it doesn't work or if verizon forces that data plan later in life. Thanks for your help guys!

It was my understanding that all smartphones now were sold requiring a data plan unless you find a way around that. There are certainly other phones on the site with WiFi - Omnia - Touch Diamond etc. but hey I like this phone and it has to be cheaper. Probably wouldn't be forced into a data plan if you bought the phone from a 3rd party (i.e. ebay).
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

mine was used, not refurb, but could hardly tell anyone had it in there hands before. I bid on multiple phones for about 3 weeks because I didn't want to spend more than 75$ and ended up getting mine for $61 w/ free shipping. I would only bid w/ ebay stores not individuals and made sure the had good ratings as sellers. Do all that and you'll get a good deal on a good phone.

Verizon Data Plan

I guess technically you do sign up for a data plan. I bought my i760 about 4 months ago and the rep I talked to said to select the "pay as you go" data plan on their Website. So basically I do have a plan but only pay when I use it, which I never use it because I hook up to the WiFi. I would assume if they have other phones that have WiFi it would be the same deal with them. I also found out from the Rep that Verizon has two pricing structures, one for on-line and one if you call them. So before you call and make a purchase I would check out there website and get some prices. Who knows they may even have a third level for the stores.
    Good luck!

if you go through verizon you will have to renew your contract also. this is another reason I went through ebay, so I am not tied to vzw for another 2 years. The page plus plan mentioned in another thread that has unlimited talk/text and20mb of data looks inticing

If your interested I have an I-760 with both batteries a couple of USB cables and the AC charger I can sell for 60 bucks
    i910- No matter where you go, there you are - I miss my I760

Quote Originally Posted by gjish View Post
    "pay as you go" data plan on their Website. So basically I do have a plan but only pay when I use it, which I never use it because I hook up to the WiFi.
    Just to be sure - did you disable the data connection (like in the stickies) because I think that if you don't your phone could connect to the data network without your knowledge or by accident. Wouldn't want to get charged for data you didn't use.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur