+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Google Maps mobile

Any way to get Google maps to connect to it's server via WIFI instead of having to use the data plan(dial out). I tried searching the settings, but have got nothing. Any ideas?

Google maps should work on wifi just fine. Unless you are talking about the "locate me" thing in which case i'm not sure how that works since it is doing cell tower triangulation it may need to use your cell data signal?? I personally Bing LiveSearch with my BT GPS which puts GoogleMaps to shame, just my opinion.

Yeah, Bing is actually quality stuff. Not sure how you can force Google Maps to use WiFi and not data.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

Hmm I'll def lookup binglive search. I assume its a mobile version?

Quote Originally Posted by MBLOVA View Post
    Hmm I'll def lookup binglive search. I assume its a mobile version?
    Yup.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

I run google maps using only WiFi as I don't have a data plan. Works fine, including the "locate me" feature. Checkout one of the many threads here about using WiFi only.

Update: Well damn it all, I upgraded google maps and now it won't work with WiFi. Anyone have an old version (I think I was at 3.0.21) and now 3.2 won't use WiFi.

From the google faq:

Please Note: Google Maps for mobile will not work with WiFi (wireless network) connection alone. You must have a data plan with your mobile service provider in order to use Google Maps on your mobile device.

Oh well, I'll just uninstall google and use Bing.
    Last edited by jpinsl; 09-05-2009 at 02:29 PM.

jpinsi - thanks for the info. I will make darn sure I do NOT update Google maps. I still have a version that works with Wi-Fi only.

I'll also look into Bing

Yea see, the same thing happened to me. Upgraded and BAM, no more WIFI capability. I'll install bing this weekend and see how it works.

Here is GoogleMaps 3.0.16

GoogleMaps3016.cab -

Bing is AWESOME. It gets me everything I need(movies, restaurants, traffic..) all on wifi.

Quote Originally Posted by marioval View Post
    Here is GoogleMaps 3.0.16

GoogleMaps3016.cab -
    I couldn't get your download to work.. can you upload as a zip... I hope this isn't violation somebody's TOS
    Mark
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

It's a CAB file. Copy it to the phone and run it there. It won't do anything on your computer.

I know what a cab is... The link wasn't giving me the typical file factory pages.. I think they must have been down when I tried it first.. works now!
    thanx
    Mark
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

funny, i thought i would try bing out and it can't locate me w/ wifi but google maps can do it w/ wifi and I am pretty sure it is the most recent version I just loaded it yesterday.

Ok now bing couldn't locate me but it would try. I noticed my phone was off so I turned it on hoping that would fix it now the locate me feature isn't even an option?
    Last edited by bell boy; 10-07-2009 at 10:45 PM.

Can someone help here. I can't get bing to work w/ just wifi. what are the settings? It says I need a data conection and i am on my home wifi, it says it needs to be outside w/ a clear view, and i am in my front yard.
    Last edited by bell boy; 10-08-2009 at 06:07 PM.

I got Bing to work just fine on mine, with WiFi only. Not sure, why yours wouldn't work.

I thought that the a-GPS on the i760 was locked and non-functional unless you paid for Verizon's locator service. Am I wrong, or have you guys found a way to unlock GPS? I don't have Verizon's GPS service, and would like to be able to use Google or other mapping software, too.
    Downhills and tailwinds, 73

The i760 does not GPS at all. We are all using external BlueTooth GPS units.

just thought this might be of interest: i have google maps on my i760 and recently moved to college. before college, i would use maps on my home wifi network and "my location" would never work. but now that i am at a large university "my location" works with ONLY wifi, very accurate, giving me my location within 200 meters.

Quote Originally Posted by marioval View Post
    The i760 does not GPS at all. We are all using external BlueTooth GPS units.
    I'm not, just using data and ip address