+ Reply to Thread

Help a frustrated NOOB, please!

Hello, hope in the right forum. I just got a i760. Installed 6.1 and all was fine. Now I can't connect WiFi. It says I'm connected to my router on WiFi bar. I can get on the web if I'm hooked up to my PC but as soon as I disconnect I have no internet. Did a hard reset and still the same problem. Please help. Thanks

This may not be the reason, but using various PDAs over years I have found that changing the broadcast frequency on the router seemed to lock certain devices out. I never had the situation where it would show connected though, mine just wouldn't connect at all. It may be worth giving it a shot if you don't have too many other devices that may be locked out.

Quote Originally Posted by ChavezOG View Post
    Hello, hope in the right forum. I just got a i760. Installed 6.1 and all was fine. Now I can't connect WiFi. It says I'm connected to my router on WiFi bar. I can get on the web if I'm hooked up to my PC but as soon as I disconnect I have no internet. Did a hard reset and still the same problem. Please help. Thanks
    Networking is an area of computing in which my knowledge is limited, but I think you'd need to give us some more info before you can be helped.

What security is your home network using? WEP? WPA? None?

Can other computers/devices connect successfully to the the WAP?

Is this in fact your Wifi network or someone else's?
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

im in the exact same situation as the original poster.

my router has no security, my laptop and ipod touch both can connect to my wireless no problem. on the i760 it sees the wireless network and says connected, but when i try to open a website it says "the page cannot be found. check the name and try again."

thanks

I have discovered the same situation when I have been out and around town. Admittedly, I was trying to 'bootleg' a connection just to see if it would work. The router appears in the listing as 'open' and allows a connection, but you can't go any farther. I have discovered that in some cases, if you then open Internet Explorer, you will find a login page and you must have an account and password. This leads me to believe that there may be routers with some sort of HTML account management that allows connections but disallows further access without an account. Just my guess.
    Downhills and tailwinds, 73

That is correct... Some AP's are set to allow unrestricted access but then have an account login to gain internet access. A lot of hotels and Internet cafe's have them
    Mark
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.