+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exclamation Update :) Don't buy the i760, Verizon mades changes for smartphones(old and new)

Kinda long, but please read and take notice:

So I let my brother use my 2 year credit so he could get the droid. In order to get it on his let, I had to order it on my line, activate it on my line first, then finally activate it on his.

When I reactivated my i760, I noticed I couldn't choose the pay per usage, only the minimum of $29.99/month smartphone data plan. I called and according to customer service, since Sunday November 8, they made some changes.

Any smartphone(even if it's an older one like the i760) activated after November 8th, requires the $29.99 data plan. I got the i760 for the same reason most of you did...smartphone with wifi/no data plan attached. It used to be that they only required it on the newer ones....since Nov. 8, it's different.

If your i760 was activated before Nov. 8th, the 29.99 is not applied automatically. However, if you make changes to your plan(i.e. add minutes) you'll no longer have to choice of "pay per usage", only the 29.99 one and the 44.99 one.

---They made another similar change too... They're requiring a minimum data plan of $9.99(25mb..what can I do with that?!...) for "multimedia" phones. I was aware they would start requiring it on the new "multimedia phones" like the chocolate touch, but they're also doing it for the older EnV touch and mostly likely the dare, versa, etc. This is really annoying.

In summary: If you're looking to get the i760 or activate one, know that you'll have to get the $29.99 data plan with it. Older smartphones being excluded from this no longer applies....I am angry and disappointed with verizon.

EDIT:

"pay per use" option is back when activating i760!

I activated my i760 through the vzw website, and the option is back. Keeping my i760, selling that EnV Touch.
    Last edited by diego15nets; 01-18-2010 at 10:50 AM. Reason: corrections

Quote Originally Posted by diego15nets View Post
    I am angry and disappointed with verizon.
    Are you cheesed off now? ... Good!

I really hate this new policy. I'd be ok if they charged more for the phone initially - subsidized it less in order to avoid the mandatory data plan. I dunno, I guess I plan to just use my i760 till it dies.

If my i760 died or was stolen/lost and I got a replacement via the insurance would this mean that upon activating it I'd have to get the data plan. Gosh I hope not. Maybe i should go back to using my case ... must keep this phone going.

I mean, what if I bought the Droid and was unsatisfied and went back to my i760 - I'd have to but into a data plan?
    Last edited by luca_bras1; 11-12-2009 at 02:26 PM.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

Thank you for the heads up! I just got a $50 out-of-warranty replacement because my screen was way too wacky about placing the "tap" in the right spot. Finally gave up and coughed up the $50. I truly lucked out on my timing to have this all accomplished by 30 October... I slipped under the wire!

BTW the i760 that came was pristine and was so responsive in its screen/tap interaction. A joy to have the phone really cruising again.

Lucas, clearly they gave up letting us stay out in the data-less landscape. Hold on to these phones. My plan is to have about two years worth of avoided data$$ to use on either a 'droid or even a iPhone in early 2011. That's $720 of savings. Android OS might be gaining functionality quickly by then and challenge the iPhone ecosystem.

Jonathan

Clueless Noob
    Why not just ditch vzw and switch over to PagePlus? They have 2 plans ($29.95 and $39.95) that give limited data with each, but they have worked well for me since I was never accustomed to using a data plan much.

Dobbs
    i went to verizon today to activate a i760 and they did not charge me data just a date block but i could not activate it bad modem so im returning my i760 to ebay and geting a new one
    I started psp hacking now im moved on to cell phone's.

I went to page plus 2 months ago and am really happy, saving over $50 a month.
    for the price of the data on VZW ($30/month) I get 50mb of data 1200minutes and 1200texts all on verizons network
    can you hear me now?

I'm mad as hell....

Data charges! HAH! I just went by Vzw and found out that all the current PDA phones require the newer nationwide plans. .. I have had a voice plan for years that far exceeds these plans... so to get a new phone I would have to "upgrade my plan"... an equivalent plan will cost me 2 to 3 times more!!!! They just say my plan is not supported any more.. BUL SH**t!!! A voice plan is a voice plan!!! They are just being greedy and are blackmailing people into a more expensive plans if they want a new phone!!! First they did it with my data plan .. now they want to do it to my voice plan... And after years of them telling me that I can "always get a new phone and never be worried that my plan would change". Well Verizon doesn't seem to put any stock into loyalty as I've had this account for more than 12 years.. if they make me change my plan... I'll change alright.. to another company!!!!
    I'm am fuming!
    Mark
    Last edited by MGuzzy; 11-12-2009 at 11:53 PM.
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Yeah, this seems like a big pile of steaming crap. It's another way for them to make more money by requiring everyone who wants a PDA/Smartphone to get the data plan included, regardless if you use it or not.

I'll be updating my phone to the Droid but not for a couple of months because I don't want my monthly bill going up $30 a month (to make it around $80ish/month).

Plus this is going to piss off a lot of people, I bet you'll see other companies come out with cheaper plans because they know they can undercut Verizon's prices and steal some business from them, which they should.

Fanatic... its not just PDA phones. they are requiring it of other phones as well that have "advanced texting features"... I tried to get a replacement of my wife's phone and was informed of the same thing! what a bunch of BS...

After talking with a friend of mine that works at Verizon there seems to be no way around this in the long term. I can probably get a new phone and then make a case to get my calling plan back through whatever channels... but it will be a constant up hill battle... So I will be voting with my wallet and I'm starting to look at other options. I have one last line on my phone that has a two months left on contract.. by then I'll be ready to switch.. See ya VZW and no thanks for the smelly fish!

To you guys on PagePlus... I checked thier website and they don't have any PDA phones. I assume you got your i760's activated on their network. Will they do that with any vzw phone? There is a PagePlus dealer down the street from me, I will be giving them a visit..
    Mark

THERE HAS BEEN SOME INCORRECT INFORMATION POSTED IN THIS THREAD

I called Verizon today specifically asking about this phone. One rep gave me a list of phones that strictly require the data plan. They are as follows:

htc droid eris
    htc amaggio
    htc ozone
    htc touch diamond
    htc touch pro
    htc touch pro 2
    motorola droid
    rim blackberry
    12 other blackberries
    samsung omnia
    samsung saga
    htc smt5800
    htc mogul vx6800
    htc touch vx6900

Any other phone will not require a data plan. I talked to a second rep (from tech support). I brought up the SCH-i760 specifically and he said that it does not require the data plan and that they could put a full data block on the account if I wanted. The word was that any data phone released after Nov. 17, 2008 would require the data plan.

The SCH-i760 will not require a data plan from Verizon, the SCH-i770 (AKA Samsung Saga) will.

Thanks, everyone for posting on this important subject.

1. Class-Action lawsuit, anyone?

2. If I've learned anything from this forum, it's that the reps usually don't know what they are talking about. We learn more from WHAT ACTUALLY HAPPENS than what is said. So...

3. Keep posting your experiences! Thanks...
    Downhills and tailwinds, 73

Actually for some of those phones a pay as you go data plan would qualify and you can just modify the data connection parameters to prevent a data login (I change the login number).. Now I have been able to call them up and request my old plan (data) back after they switched it whenever I got a warranty replacement.. you are supposed to be able to do that within 30days... then they changed it to 90. They would change it back because their automated system set the other up. It was a hassle but I was able to keep my old data plan through several phone upgrades ...

@Diego15nets in all deference to DaCapn I read that Vzw would require a data plan of all phones activated after a certain date.. I've not been able to confirm that with any certainty with Vzw... seems one CSR sez one thing another sez something else. So who knows!
    Mark

Smile

I'm still under contract, didn't get the insurance-- dead touchscreen on my i760 (from being soaked by summertime nightstand ice-water condensation, in addition to getting soaked by mineral water that left a deposit on the touchscreen on a hiking trip) -- went to ebay, got a replacement i760 and then went to the Verizon website, selected "My Phone / Activate Phone" put in the new phone's ESN and it activated fine, without any changes in contract-- there was no data plan added to my contract and my new-every-two bar didn't decrease.

Quote Originally Posted by bell boy View Post
    I went to page plus 2 months ago and am really happy, saving over $50 a month.
    for the price of the data on VZW ($30/month) I get 50mb of data 1200minutes and 1200texts all on verizons network
    can you hear me now?
    Can you use your 760 with Pageplus?

I am dying to give verizon the shaft after getting it from them so many times, but I just cant do without a PDA phone, and I dont want to go back to carrying two devices.

I cant understand why any of the companies like Tracfone, Net10, etc dont come out with a PDA/Phone.

Big Red don't know nuthin'

The one thing about Verizon is you get LOTS of conflicting information. For instance that list that they gave you that included the HTC xv6900 Touch is incorrect. I called them about that and they said the Touch xv6900 could be added without the data plan. So I bought one on craigslist today and sure enough no problems adding it without data.
    "We don't need no stinkin' iphones!!!" I love my Touch Pro 2..... Bleeding edge previous devices include the Samsung i760, dirrrty i730, XV6600, Blackberry 7750, Audiovox Thera, and Ipaq 5550.

My 2 cents. I just purchased an i760 (2 actually, one for me, one for daughter) to replace the terrible Blitz phones we had. The Verizon rep assured me no data plan was required. When I got my bill though, I had $110 worth of Data Plan charges. I called Verizon and got a woman who insisted I had to have it since the phone had a PDA. No matter that I did not want and would never use the Data Plan. After going back and forth with no success, I hung up, waited 15 minutes and called back. This time I got a very nice lady who agreed that if I did not want the plan I should not have to pay for it, so she turned it off. I waited a while and checked my bill online, and noticed that while the data plans were disabled, I was still being billed for them (at the business rate of $54.99!), so I called back, asked why I would be paying for a plan that was disabled and yet another lady agreed it was silly and removed all charges related. While all of this took hours, in the end I did get the data plan dropped. They insisted the wifi part would shut off too, but as we all know, it is unaffected.
    So, the moral of this story is, if at first you don't succeed, call, call again. Eventually you will get someone who can remove the charges and data plan.

Preachin' to the choir

That's exactly what I have been saying! Verizon reps have no clue what the true information is. One person will give you complete mis-information and lead you down the wrong path while the next person will help you completely.

I don't blame the reps - for the most part they are always very helpful. I blame Verizon and their lousy system of communicating their policies and decisions.
    "We don't need no stinkin' iphones!!!" I love my Touch Pro 2..... Bleeding edge previous devices include the Samsung i760, dirrrty i730, XV6600, Blackberry 7750, Audiovox Thera, and Ipaq 5550.

So, based on everyone's experience in the last few weeks, is it still possible to buy a Samsung i760 (off of eBay for example), take it to Verizon, and have them activate the phone but turn off that data plan, without any other charges?

What you MUST do when adding phone without data

Quote Originally Posted by glhs422 View Post
    So, based on everyone's experience in the last few weeks, is it still possible to buy a Samsung i760 (off of eBay for example), take it to Verizon, and have them activate the phone but turn off that data plan, without any other charges?
    Yes you can add the Samsung i760 without the data plan. However, and this is very important.... be PREPARED to deal with uninformed Verizon reps who will flat out tell you its impossible. Here is what you need to do.

Call up Verizon and ask them to add the i760 without data. The rep will probably tell you that they are not sure you can do this and that they will have to check. If they say this, more than likely you are talking to the wrong person. If they say you can't do it just hang up on them and call back and you will get another rep. Ask them the same question. You may have to do this a couple times before you get a customer service rep who knows what the hell they are doing....

Case in point....
    I was adding an xv6900 to my contract which is another WinMo smartphone that does not require the data plan. I spoke to the rep and I told her what I wanted and she said it wasn't possible. I told her I knew FOR A FACT it could be done and she checked with her supervisor and then told me NO again. So I hung up on her and called right back and got a guy who knew exactly what the hell he was doing and added the phone in 3 minutes. End of story.

The only thing that would have made that moment any sweeter is if I could have called the original rep who told me NO and say "a-ha I told you so..." but thats just petty. LOL

One more piece of advice... make sure to request DATA BLOCK because if you just add the phone without data there may be a chance that some applications will trigger data charges even without the data plan. This is very important.

can you just get the data plan and then cancel it? Seems a bit harsh that one is FORCED to pay for data when one does not want it.