+ Reply to Thread

Possible to upgrade deactivated i760 to 6.1? [interesting dilemma]

I have an interesting dilemma. I recently upgraded to TP2 which I really like and put my i760 away.

Then this week started looking for a sophisticated alarm clock for bedside that could be set for days of week as well as options for chime, instead of buzzer or radio. Also, it needs to look relatively good.

My search has been futile. Then I decided to use my trusty but deactivated i760 with the cradle as an alarm clock, because it has exactly what I need: multiple alarms, chime option and can be set for days of week.

However, I never upgraded my i760 to 6.1 which has a better/larger clock and now am wondering if it's possible to do that.

I doubt if VZW would do it for me. Would I be able to place the update on a micro SD and do it that way?

Any info, and links are highly appreciated. S

Sure.. upgrade away! You do the upgrade through a USB connection with your PC.. I think you need to be running WindowsXP. There is nothing to require the phone be activated to do the update. In fact the last i760 I got I upgraded it out of the box before I activated it..
    Mark
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Mark, Thanks!

But... Never mind! The upgrade was performed on the i760 and it's now running 6.1 but the today's page looks exactly the same... LOL I consider that a real waste of time...

There are a number of Desk clock apps out there that you can run on your i760!
    Mark

Can I still run them on a deactivated phone that can't browse the web?

sure... you are just using the PDA without the phone part.. in fact you can still WiFi and browse to your hearts content!
    mark

true, true... would be nice to have a large clock option... I'll do a search. thanks!

check for a program called G-alarm over at XDA-Developers.com. Its a very featured alarm clock designed for devices with acceleromters but it has a lot of nice features with out that.
    Mark

I just downloaded this: Pocket Digital Clock (PDC)
    took a minute or two to download and install. works great!

ProjectION - ProjectION

Oh that's a Great app... I've used it on my Today screen for the last year before I started fussing with SPB mobile shell. You can configure just about everything on it! check out the other font themes as well.

Here's the one I've played with
    FreewarePPC.com - Freeware Pocket PC / Freeware Windows Mobile: G-Alarm v1.5.1

and if you want an analog I've used this one too:
    FreewarePPC.com - Freeware Pocket PC / Freeware Windows Mobile: Today's Time v1.3
    but I don't think the developer is around anymore last I checked.
    Mark