+ Reply to Thread

Opera Mini 5 beta

Anyone using it?

I'm using it, it's nice so far...not much support yet though. Has anyone figured out what Turbo mode is?

Also, the biggest problem: it seems that if I navigate out once it's started, I can't get back into it without rebooting.

I just downloaded Skyfire, its pretty good so far.

What does it have that Opera Mini 4.2 lacks? I have an install that came as bundle from XDA with a shortcut and eliminating the annoying permission pop-ups. I think I'd have to wait till one of those dudes put a complete package together.

Skyfire is amazing, but for QUICK text-based browsing there is nothing even close to OMini imo.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

Settled on an alternate browser...for now

After testing three Opera products on my 760i yesterday, I've found:

Mini 4.2 - java applet, needs midlet mgr, annoying prompts for permission to conenct, etc. worst of all, doesn't handle reCaptcha well at all.

Mini 5 beta - ditto

Mobile 10 beta - everything works! no java midlet manager needed! Just need to figure out how to copy text off web pages for easy copy & paste. seems like the Mini products have inline editing, Mobile 10 doesn't (?).

Anyone fooling around with Mobile 10 beta know how to do this?

You gotta check out the XDA forums if you haven't and just search around here a bit (only because I can't find links to some of the packages I use from there, but I have the files)

I use this package and it works fantastic - runs off the SD card - no network confirmation junk - adds a shortcut to your programs list. Perfect. Do try. Captcha it won't do, but for QUICK browsing nothing comes close. Everyone should have this onboard.

***Opera Mini 4.2.14320 FINAL***** - xda-developers
    Last edited by luca_bras1; 12-07-2009 at 10:36 PM.

Just wanted to let y'all know that there's a nice Opera Mini 5 b2 package here -

Opera Mini 5 Beta 2 Signed CAB (Is Out) - Page 3 - xda-developers

Using "2009 QVGA Java with Opera Mini 5 Beta2" - comes with java - signed with shortcut. I think it's a good idea to uninstall previous version b4 trying.

The fullscreen mode and tabs and the UI is really nice and worth a try imo if you are using 4.2

Two issues -

• For some reason they removed soft-key support? When will this war on buttons end? Easy enough to use the on-screen keys, but still.

• You must go into settings to the Advanced and choose full screen editing to disable the onscreen keyboard (which is not bad) in order to use the slide-out physical kb.

Thus far pretty nifty.

Quote Originally Posted by luca_bras1 View Post
    Just wanted to let y'all know that there's a nice Opera Mini 5 b2 package here -

• For some reason they removed soft-key support? When will this war on buttons end? ....
    I think the war has just begun! The iPhone craze is over flowing into the disappearance of buttons, dpads and slide out keyboards.. and it probably cheaper to make them without all the mechanical bits and parts!
    sigh
    Mark
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Does it actually benefit the programmer or the application to not have the soft-key support? It really vexes me so. I mean if an application has two on-screen soft keys why can't those be mapped to physical soft-keys? This is a big issue for me in most MortPlayer skins that I really like, but lack the softkeys as well.

In this case the fullscreen mode and tabs are too good to pass up otherwise I'd just got back to 4.2.

At risk of completely hijacking the thread.. I hear ya... It saves the programmer a few lines of code to not have to worry about the hardware keys.. for my use I like using the hardware buttons. but it seems more phones are comming without them.
    mark
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

I don't mind so much when the UI is revamped, but when I see 2 softkeys in the bottom right and left corners and I have to touch the screen to activate them it really grinds my gears.

New version of Skyfire - seems like a nice update thus far.

I can no longer get to yahoo or yahoo mobile using opera mini 5 beta 2. I was able to before. I get a page saying my device isn't supported. Anyone else getting this?

I LOVE this browser but ever so ofte it freezes on me at the text input screen. If anyone knows a solution I will buy you a beer.

Quote Originally Posted by luca_bras1 View Post
    I LOVE this browser but ever so ofte it freezes on me at the text input screen. If anyone knows a solution I will buy you a beer.
    That used to happen to me when using full screen input. if I use the built-in Opera keyboard it doesn't happen.

The newest version of Opera Mini no longer requires a midlet manager and is a 100% native app, it's about flippin time!! It appears however that the built-in keyboard is no longer there and only supports your default SIP.

Visit this url from Pocket IE to install the latest version.

m.opera.com/next

So far it is pretty cool. Still some text input issues. Both w and x do not work (use t9 for those letters) ovrall it is more stable. I also seem to have to relog into many sites. Hope new version solves some of these bugs.