+ Reply to Thread

A shell that replaces everything

I'm brand new to smart phones. Just got my i760 a few days ago. I'm still trying to figure out all the quirks and how to makes the most out of it and be most efficient. I've played around with spb mobile shell 3.5 quite a bit but I keep running into little annoyances. Mainly that a lot of functions still default back to standard wm6.1 For instance adding a contact, task etc. Is there anything out there that will replace everything? I heard of some mods for spb but it sounded like it just added more widgets?

Thanks in advanced,
    Hawaii350

SPB shell 3.5 is a good program. It runs better and faster than the old shell 3. I would think that this program would be the best for managing everything.

I still use SPB Mobile Shell 2.1. Less eye candy but in my opinion much easier and user friendly.

SPB mobile shell is just that its a Shell. It runs on top of and the today screen and regular OS launcher. So the other programs that on the phone will still be used. For instance the Calendar. Mobile shell will give you a number of calendar views but if you open and edit any of the items it will open the native calendar app. You can replace the native calendar app with another (like Pocket informant or thumbcal). you can do that piece meal with the other apps if you wish. So the answer to your question is "no" there is nothing that will replace everything.
    If your looking for a more featured PIM program (tasks, contacts, calendar, etc) I would recommend Pocket informant.You have the option to replace the native PIM apps when it is installed. There are others as well like Agendus, Agenda Fusion.
    I like SPB MS. but your right most of the theme/add ons add more screens and widgets. The do add some functionality so I have MSkip's themes on mine.
    Mark
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

It is too bad that there aren't OS-wide themes available (like on Windows etc.). I have my Windows XP installation themed out so much I've often been asked what OS I am using. It would be nice if there was a standardized application theme that could be modified and customized.

I think everyone can agree that after you drill down a layer or two you get to some pretty ugly stuff which doesn't look like it's been updated since WM2003. It's amazing the difference some window-dressing and custom colors/fonts can do to improve your OS experience.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

Yeah, I wouldn't mind a program that would allow us to customize/tweak the OS WM6.1. I feel theres some things on our phones that could easily be deleted to help performance/speed and other various improvements made.

I'm sure you'll see more OS customization in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by luca_bras1 View Post
    It is too bad that there aren't OS-wide themes available (like on Windows etc.). I have my Windows XP installation themed out so much I've often been asked what OS I am using. It would be nice if there was a standardized application theme that could be modified and customized.
    Yeah there are.. they are called ROMs! unfortunately there is currently no way to burn alternative ROMs to the i760. Even on Windows.. if you drill down to say the calculator... its still the stock calculator or did you theme that too!

I think everyone can agree that after you drill down a layer or two you get to some pretty ugly stuff which doesn't look like it's been updated since WM2003. It's amazing the difference some window-dressing and custom colors/fonts can do to improve your OS experience.
    Yeah that is one of the biggest criticisms that I've read of WM6.5.. that is seems like it more like a launcher theme than a real upgrade to the underlying OS features. we'll only have to wait and see if the ugly stuff is still there in WM7...
    Mark

I know - if only we had XDA devs working with out phone

I actually have replacements for the Calculator and notepad etc. The only stock program I think I use is the File Explorer occasionally and I have two alternatives for that as well . I even have two alternative launch applications making the Start button all but useless.

I can't imagine how some people use stock Windows Mobile sans tweaks and customizations.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

I Know YOU know.. I was posing my response to others that don't know about kitchens!... Well now that you mention it I use an RPN calculator instead of the stock one and irfanview instead of Paint and two other notepads besides the stock one..

mark