+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Swype keyboard

Swype keyboard

I've been using this for a few days and love it. I havent even touched my slide-out keyboard since I started using this thing. Absolutely wonderful!! Takes a few minuites to get used to but once you take the tutorial (built into the app) and type a few emails/texts you will never turn back to a "normal" keyboard.

Also you will need to install SipChange to set it as the default keyboard.

[APP] Swype | Source files added for developers. [VGA|QVGA|WVGA|WQVGA][15,Dec,09] - xda-developers

SIPChange: Changes the DefaultIM in AKU2 - xda-developers

I saw this and didn't really see it as something I'd need, but now I'm intrigued (watched a few YT vids)

So, this replaces the on-screen keyboard, but upon soft-reset it defaults back to the original? or the SIPChange prevents this? (I think the later)
    I have to assume this is better suited for capacitive screens, but it's worth a try.

So you installed the QVGA version to the device.
    Then SIPChange - run SIPChange and choose Swype as the default?

If you uninstalled SIPChange and soft-reset would it return to the default settings?
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

I am typing on it right now and it is quite interesting indeed. It seems to be a great innovation and I will try it for a while till I get used to it.
    Much better with the stylus. Capacitive would be better as my finger covers the keys. It got nearly every word on the first try. If nothing else it's far superior to the default on screen keyboard.
    As I type this I am liking it more and more.

Quick tip if it gives you a list and the correct word is in green just continue swyping and it is chosen by default.

How does it compare to EZ input.. that is what I'm currently running.
    Mark
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Quote Originally Posted by luca_bras1 View Post
    I saw this and didn't really see it as something I'd need, but now I'm intrigued (watched a few YT vids)

So, this replaces the on-screen keyboard, but upon soft-reset it defaults back to the original? or the SIPChange prevents this? (I think the later)
    I have to assume this is better suited for capacitive screens, but it's worth a try.

So you installed the QVGA version to the device.
    Then SIPChange - run SIPChange and choose Swype as the default?

If you uninstalled SIPChange and soft-reset would it return to the default settings?
    The only way to set it as default is to install SipChange. With SipChange it will stay the default even after soft-reset.

I did the SIPChange and it is all up and running.

I don't have experience with EZ Input, but this thing has made me reconsider whether or not I could deal with a phone sans keyboard.
    It may be a little early for such statements, but there's no other way I could imagine doing one-handed typing and it's faster than using the hardware kb I think - even with word-completion.

Added bonus - while in bed swyping around on the screen is much quieter than typing away. Much better for my wife

Yeah.. I put on EZ input to get the T-9 support on the front key pad.. it also added a bunch of SIPs and a decent (but not great) autocomplete. It was discussed a previous thread. It's a huge program but after my last hard reset I found my self missing it and put it back on. I was wondering if anyone (not necessarily you Luca) has compared them.
    Nice added bonus... my wife definitely rolls here eyes when I'm playing with my phone. But having your phone in bed with you AND your wife... hmmm. wink wink...
    Mark

lol Mark.

My gf will do the same until she wants to play Dopewars or Pocket Uno.

I finally got this going last night. If you are running the EZInput SIP you'll need to uninstall it first. They won't work together.
    My first impressions are that this is kinda cool... I'm a touch typist hence my need for a physical keyboard, my fingers tips know what to do to create a given word. With this I have to look at the keyboard to "swype" the words, I was amazed how often it gets the right word even if I get "lost" on the keyboard (were did that "g" go!). But it is interesting to associate a particular scribble to a word... I'll have to live with this a while to see how I like it. Much of the inputting I do are canned phrases I've setup in my various apps so my inputting will be for keywords to pull up the phrase I want.
    Its definitely a good baby sitter as my kids love "drawing" words. It might even help with their spelling!
    Mark

It's fun and a bit of a gimmick and will not replace my physical keyboard any time soon, but it's good for quick messages. It would benefit from a larger keyboard and a capacitive screen - using it in landscape is much better, but if I'm going to flip my phone I'll just pull out the kb.

I use it more and more and I am getting better at it. Not a replacement, but far superior to the stock WM on-screen keyboard (even if you never "swype") and I9 (imo).

Thanks for the update luca.. but you never told us wether your wife still prefers swyping or tapping, while in bed
    Mark

I'm not gonna lie, I'd probably still be using my i760 if the Omnia II didn't have swype. I love it, so much faster (for me) than the keyboard. My i760 could never keep up with my typing and would miss letters/numbers. I think it was a 6.0 issue but can't remember.

Oh yeah, if you're typing something like "good" on the phone, just do a quick turn/jerk on the letter "o" to get it to pick up the second letter, otherwise it's "god", etc.

According to the tutorial you just do a little squiggle over the letter you want to repeat. I like how you can swype across an apostrophe and it will add it in appropriately. I'm amazed at how well it gets the word even if I get lost and wander around the keyboard before finishing the word!
    Mark

The file has been removed from the link in post #1. Anyone know where else I can get it?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MGuzzy View Post
    Thanks for the update luca.. but you never told us wether your wife still prefers swyping or tapping, while in bed
    Mark
    Yeah, I can type pretty darn fast on the physical KB and it always missed letters so I have to constantly check my work. I wish it could keep up and maybe auto complete on its own - like if I'm typing a long word and the phone's first guess is what I'm going for I'd like to be able to hit the D-pad button once w/o selecting the word and have the word complete and move onto the next. It's nitpicky an it's only eliminating one key press, but it's one I repeat again and again. Right now if you hit the button it just does a Return.

Trying to perfect swyping with just my thumb one-handed. I have gone back to using the keyboard w/ auto-complete, but it's a great bit of work.

Heres one in landscape mode apparently I believe...

[QVGA/WQVGA/VGA/WVGA] Swype Keyboard HTC-Like Skin - Released! - xda-developers

The other Swype URL's Project has been Canceled it says..

Well I still have Swype on my phone. I love showing it to people, it has a good wow factor. Today I noticed while inputing info that looked up names from my contact list that it was correctly recognizing names that in no way could be in my Swype dictionary. I realized it must be pulling the word from the contact list itself.. It must augment the dictionary with the contact names was the only thing I could come up with... if so I am once again impressed with this app. Anybody else noticed this?
    Mark

I'm going to have to try this app out...

Still up on this link, coolest thing I have used in a long time!!
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...ighlight=swype

Pretty sweet app! The only thing is that I still need to use the stylus cause the letters are still not big enough. :p