+ Reply to Thread

Recent drop in performance

I have had my 760 for about a year and half now. In the past month or so, I have had a real drop off in performance. It now takes about 8 minutes to turn on, often when I try to switch apps it takes 2 or 3 minutes, other times it locks up and requires a reboot (which takes the full 8 min).

Has anyone else had this kind of issue? I even got a replacement from Verizon and it still has the same issue.

It seems like it is a memory related issue. The way it is slow to respond and move from app to app might indicate that. Can anyone recommend any tools (ideally free) for trying to solve this? I am assuming that I have some kind of junk left in it or some kind or memory leak.

Thanks

If you do a Hard Reset does the phone perform like this with zero changes or modifications and zero apps installed?

Well, I think it works fine after a hard reset, but I haven't gone through the testing of all the exchange setup, etc.

I know the recommendation will be to do a hard reset and then install each up and rebuild the phone one thing at a time, but I have done that a couple of months ago on the previous phone. It works for awhile and then slowly gets "stuck".

So, before I do the full re-build, I wondered if there were any good system analysis tools (kind of like CCleaner) for this platform.

I only have about one or two months before I am eligible for new every 2 and was hoping to limp along

One simple thing to check is how much free memory is available.
    Mark
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

In terms of memory it shows 6.32 MB of Storage and 13.97 of Program memory free.

One thing I did that seems to have helped a bit was run a program called ClearTemp. While it didn't open up lots of memory, it did seems to clean out a bunch of junk.

You should clear out your IE cache/cookies/history, that might help a little.

There are various RAM sweeper/cleaner applications out there, but I'm always a bit scared of them.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

Quote Originally Posted by luca_bras1 View Post
    There are various RAM sweeper/cleaner applications out there, but I'm always a bit scared of them.
    Just wanted to bump this to ask - does anyone here use a RAM cleaner/manager on their i760 with good results? I remember being warned to stay away from such programs on my desktop, but I'm curious about people's experience with these WM applications such as: cleanRAM v1.96 freeware for Windows Mobile Pocket PC.

Perhaps this would only really work well for HTC devices? Alternatives?

I use the RAM cleaner in an app called MemMaid. It works great and I have never had any problems with it. It clears the RAM in seconds and usually gives me about 1 or 2 MB back, sometimes up to 5 or6. I tried CleanRAM and it took like 2 minutes and usually freed up nothing so i'm not sure what CleanRAM really does.

Ok, I'll give it a try - Hard Reset isn't that painful if you backup (as I do) ... Well did Stage 2 clean and supposedly got back .56MB so I guess that's something.

That durn OpenMarket has me installing all sorts of things.