+ Reply to Thread
    slo

Free software/apps

Hey guys,

I just got my sch-i760 (verizon) and I love it!!! I bought this phone just to feel free from the dreaded data plan. I love surfing the net FREE with this thing.

Now this is my first smart phone and I've been researching for some time now looking for some cool apps for the phone. I found the thread that starts off "must-have apps" and got some good info but it doesn't list where people got it from and how they downloaded. Also what's an android? is my phone an android? please pardon my newbish ways...

Where do you guys go for free apps? What's out there? I need more direction rather than just thru google. Thanks fellas...

Justin

No, we do not have androids (these are the Google OS phones) .

Many places to find useful free apps - many of them have the same stuff.

My favorite is - PocketPCFreeware
    or
    Freeware for Pocket PC. Free Windows Mobile Pocket PC / PPC downloads.

others to come
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

Interesting.... I just read another post on this site (sorry cant do that link thing) and if i read it correctly verizon will no longer let you activate any smart phone to your account (unless that exact phone was on the account before the change in policy) without a data plan. Have you already activated it without the data plan???
    Last edited by ricpdjrr; 02-08-2010 at 04:54 PM.

slo
    Yes I've already activated mine and using it everyday now. awesome thing is, I've been on youtube all day and night. When i check data usage on verizonwireless.com and #3282, it continues to say "no kb usage" As soon as i activated it, i called verizon rep and asked to have them block the data from their end I would be covered.

Justin

well thats good to know. i am going to be giving a used htc xv6800 a test drive shortly and hopefully i can get the same deal. did you buy it used or from verizon? thanks for the info.
    Last edited by ricpdjrr; 02-08-2010 at 07:38 PM.

slo
    not a prob man. Happy to help a brother out...

Hopefully others can help me out with some nice free apps

Smile

hey, same with slo I just activated this phone today! Same exact reason to, I just wanted to get away from the whole data plan requirement thing. Plus being on a college campus basically all day with free wifi, the samsung is awesome! I got mine on craigslist and this is also my first smartphone. Loving it so far!

You can install OpnMarket and login with your freewarepocketpc.net account. It's a nice easy way to manage free software on your device. The only downside is that you can only use it with an active connection (cell or wifi).

OpnMarket v1.00 freeware for Windows Mobile Pocket PC.

Quote Originally Posted by marioval View Post
    You can install OpnMarket and login with your freewarepocketpc.net account. It's a nice easy way to manage free software on your device. The only downside is that you can only use it with an active connection (cell or wifi).

OpnMarket v1.00 freeware for Windows Mobile Pocket PC.
    I've been interested in checking this out. My main question would be - would it detect my currently installed apps and offer updates or would I need to "start from scratch" with all of them? I suppose I could reinstall - can it go on the SD card (and install to it - I assume it can do this)?

*just watched the PocketNow YT video of it - may just check it out. I have my list of freeware apps that I love, but I usually end up side-loading them or installing via my PC.

Pretty cool - I'm just reinstalling several of my favorite freeware apps I want to keep updated. Not bad at all. Much snappier than my wife's Blackberry marketplace thing.

Another great source for free apps is over at the genius XDA folks - Windows Mobile Apps and Games - xda-developers

There's another very popular PPC forum, but I'm blanking on it now.
    Last edited by luca_bras1; 02-09-2010 at 10:52 AM.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

slo
    These are some good quality info, folks. Keep'em coming... I've been checkin out all the site... Haven't really found what I like yet...

Justin