+ Reply to Thread

Angry Phone does not go off..??

I've been having this phone for about 2 years or so and have continuously had the problem of the phone turning itself on when the start/windows button is pressed which causes pocket dialing, deleting of information, etc.... My only solution has been to hard reset the phone then re-sync then change all of my settings and i am getting frustrated. Verizon isn't much help. For the first 2 years i carried the tech insurance, called the tech support only for them to send me a refurb which eventually did the same thing. I did that about 4 times then they finally agreed to send me a brand new one which also eventually did the same thing. I thought it was something to do w/the carrier or alerts or maybe even some of the software i had on it, but i no longer have any s/w other than what the phone comes with (6.1) and it still does it. I have noticed there are times i can put the phone into flight mode, turn the backlight out, wait about a minute then it seems to work fine...turn the phone module on and BAM, it does it again. The issue is so random that i cannot figure out WHY? Lately, the only way to get the backlight to go off is to press the backlight button on the top, it will stay on until the batt runs dead?? which sounds to me like a mfg defect or something...
    I know there are better phones, but i really like this one and don't feel that there are any others offered that even come close other than the DROID, which comes with the hefty wireless plan they offer that I can live without for the time being. I would really appreciate the help if anyone can offer. Thanks in advance!! BonusBob

Hey bonusbob - stinks that you're having such issues. I'm not sure why the screen is waking up from a button press other than the power button up top. Also not sure why the screen isn't going off (assuming the settings are correct under the Power and Display settings.

Not only do I think it will help solve you're problem, but it's one of my favorite free apps for my i760. Do give S2U2 a shot. It's a screenlocking program with tons of options and can display time, calendar items, weather and messaging previews etc.

A_C S2 Applications for Windows Mobile

This will lock your screen and buttons so even if it does wake up for some reason no accidental dialing or anything else should occur. It also has settings to shut off the screen after a certain time which may solve your other issue as well.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

I was just about to suggest the same... I've never been able to get the phone to wake up by hitting any other button than the top one. (unless there is a call comming in). Any chance you are in an area where you are picking up an errant phone signal that is causing the phone to wake up? just reaching for straws at this point.
    Mark
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

thanks for the input guys! i have used the s2u2 some time ago but once i had to hard reset my phone i think i just decided not to put any other s/w on it until i narrowed down the issue. I will re-install it shortly as, I do remember, it worked fairly well... My settings for power and backlight are and have been set to the minimums, thats about 30% on the brightness; on batt power..backlight off in 10 secs; for external power backlight off in 1min; under power settings: batt power- device off in 1min and same for external power, and power save 5 secs. My connection settings are configured to use only "my work network" which, in my case, would be WiFi so should be no conflict there. I wish I could figure this crazy thing out so i can stop stressing out over this thing acting so "sometimesy"

I've been using s2u2 since the last post and have had no problems with the phone being on perpetually, at least while s2u2 is running... I have to disable it when I use activsync and sometimes forget to turn it back on until I see the perpetual backlight. thanks for the help, maybe this phone will last me a while longer!
    Last edited by bonusbob; 03-10-2010 at 12:51 PM.

bonusbob,

Just a thought. If you have Bluetooth turned ON but not connected to any device and there are active Bluetooth devices in your proximity, the i760 will wake-up in response to those devices. The same maybe true for Wi-Fi, I have not tested that.
    Si totus alius deficio, lascivio mortuus.