+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Verizon customers without data plan READ THIS!

Today I was looking at my bill. Tomorrow is the end of our cycle. Boy was that a great idea. I bought my i760 for the fact I can get on wifi without a data plan. I never get online except when I'm in my home wifi network. Whenever the bubble pops up that says "dialing #777" I am quick to disconnect. Anyways, upon viewing my bill, they charged me for 7 megabytes of data. I only get online on my wifi, so I had no idea why they charged me for data. For normal phones, they charge $1.99 per megabyte, however, the i760 is charged by the kilobyte (at a price of $.015 cent). This amounted to OVER $90 in data. I called customer service where the guy said THEY DO CHARGE for data, even when you're on your own home wifi network. Luckily he changed it to a charge of $9.99 for 25 megabytes (like the other new multimedia phones).

Just a head's up. Anyone else have this problem?

That is untrue! there is NO way they can track your data usage through wifi! Think about it... when you connect via WiFi you're using another ISP. Sounds like you have the pay as you go plan. If you want to test this change the Data access number to #77 (take off one of the sevens) and it will never connect. You WILL be charged data for MMS messages. If you try to send a pic message it will never connect until you change the number back to #777.
    mark
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Clueless Noob
    Mark, thanks for nipping this fairy tail in the bud!

PS - pikeco - If you switched to PagePlus, you wouldn't have to worry about any of this for $30 a month

Yep. been nipping this one in the bud ever since WiFi enabled smartphones came out!
    I agree...switch to pageplus... you can even port your phone number. the $30/mo plan has 1200 min/mo for 39.99 its unlimited. but I think there is more data usage on the 30/mo plan.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by MGuzzy View Post
    That is untrue! there is NO way they can track your data usage through wifi! Think about it... when you connect via WiFi you're using another ISP. Sounds like you have the pay as you go plan. If you want to test this change the Data access number to #77 (take off one of the sevens) and it will never connect. You WILL be charged data for MMS messages. If you try to send a pic message it will never connect until you change the number back to #777.
    mark
    Well maybe it is untrue. I went to Verizon today and the customer representative guy did say they do charge, even if I'm on wifi. And I added up the amount of megabytes for mms (about 1 megabyte). So I have no idea how I racked up 6 megabytes? I never went online unless I was on my wifi. I never connected to #777.

And yes I do have the pay as you go plan.

You can establish a cellular data connection and be charged for it even though you are connect via Wifi... similar to a PC with two network cards, both can be connected. You may not ever connect through #777 intentionally but there are plenty of apps that will connect if they can. For example if you have SPB mobile shell and the weather app is turned on.. it will want to connect to update the weather info... even if the wifi is enabled. Or GPS apps that use cell phone triangulation.That is why I disable the cellular data connections by changing the number or password. Stick to your guns that you never use the data and they will usually waive the fee once.
    mark

Well yesterday I called technical support. They did say it doesn't cost anything. I guess the store employees are misinformed. I still don't see how I used 6 megabytes of data, however.

It should show on your bill when you had the data connection? if you had a Cellular data connection when you thought you were connected via wifi alone.. that could do it.
    Mark

MGuzzy I suppose it would be theoretically possible for a handset to track and report WiFi usage to the carrier but LOL nah.. don't think so. For those without a background in networking and computers its more difficult to understand but I think our friend here has a few programs installed that are leeching data out of his unit through #777.
    "We don't need no stinkin' iphones!!!" I love my Touch Pro 2..... Bleeding edge previous devices include the Samsung i760, dirrrty i730, XV6600, Blackberry 7750, Audiovox Thera, and Ipaq 5550.

I cught mine hooked to the data network after receiving a picture message, which I didn't check out right away. I didn't catch it for 6 hrs. I figured I was going to have to fight with them. Turned out to be only $7 so I paid it. They caught me twice because the phone connected and I didn't know it. Or at least that's what it looks like to me. Maybe you had the same thing happen. Moral of the story - check your messages when the phone beeps.

I did fnd out ALL smart phones are requiring the data packages now. No more pay as you go. Just another way for Verizon to jam it to you. Why would I buy a phone with wifi if I was going to use a data plan. Now you have no choice. I verified this on the phone and online.

At Verizon you better check twice

Quote Originally Posted by gjish View Post
    I did fnd out ALL smart phones are requiring the data packages now. No more pay as you go. Just another way for Verizon to jam it to you. Why would I buy a phone with wifi if I was going to use a data plan. Now you have no choice. I verified this on the phone and online.
    This is not true. I have been telling people on pdaphonehome for years now that Verizon is very flawed in their customer service department. So many many times I have been told in no uncertain terms something was verifiable FACT by a customer service rep at Verizon only to have it contradicted just minutes later by another rep.

I have activated SO MANY phones on Verizon without data (I sell them) and each time its the same old story... call the customer service rep, if they are uninformed they will tell you no you have to have the data. I flat out hang up on them and call back and get another representative. Usually the second time is the charm and they hook it right up without the data. On rare occasions I have had to call three times.

Samsung i760 can be activated without data along with a host of other phones. Please don't take the word of just one customer service rep. Over at Verizon the right hand don't know what the left hand is doing. One thing is for sure though.. you cannot activate without data without first speaking to a rep so you have to go through them. Theres no way to do it online.

I'm not saying they won't end this and require all phones to have data but at the very moment you can still get away with it... if you speak to the right person. LOL
    "We don't need no stinkin' iphones!!!" I love my Touch Pro 2..... Bleeding edge previous devices include the Samsung i760, dirrrty i730, XV6600, Blackberry 7750, Audiovox Thera, and Ipaq 5550.

I'll second that last post!.. I think the major source of misinformation from Verizon comes from Verizon themselves!...
    Mark

Well, maybe I'll try again so far I haven't been steered the wrong way here on the Forum. It seems kind of counter productive to charge for a data plan when the phone has a wifi connection. But then again it seems silly to me to make you buy ring tones too. You got to love Verizon!

I can understand mandatory charging for data to make up for the heavily subsidized phones (although I think they should have a cheaper plan available). However, if I pay full retail I should not have to period.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

I have had my i760 for over a year and use wi-fi regularly. I have never gotten charged for data while I was on wi-fi. The ONLY time I have ever gotten charged for data has been the few times that I have needed to get online when wi-fi wasn't available.

I love my i760, but I bought it used on ebay and I know it can't last forever. I fear the day that it finally conks out because I'm told that the next time I upgrade, even if I buy from ebay, I will be forced to get a $29.99 data package.

I have emailed Page Plus, but they don't have any representatives in my area. I am leery of switching to them and then having to go back to Verizon if things don't work out.

Go ahead give PagePlus a try!

Quote Originally Posted by twcowdery View Post
    I have emailed Page Plus, but they don't have any representatives in my area. I am leery of switching to them and then having to go back to Verizon if things don't work out.
    Good luck trying to get an email response from PagePlus. Their customer service is non-existent. Just look on craigslist and you should find someone who is a vendor for PagePlus even if they are not in your area. I switched and I save about $200 a month. I had four lines plus data and was regularly paying $300+ per month and now I cut that considerably.

Once you get the lines hooked up it pretty much runs itself. If you do need customer service just call the vendor not PagePlus. If you do need something from them then its not impossible to reach them just difficult.

Trust me, PagePlus is the way to go. I have a Touch Pro 2 on PagePlus and it operates just as well as before, same clear calls, same data speeds.. why not switch?

Quote Originally Posted by leemcc View Post
    Good luck trying to get an email response from PagePlus. Their customer service is non-existent. Just look on craigslist and you should find someone who is a vendor for PagePlus even if they are not in your area. I switched and I save about $200 a month. I had four lines plus data and was regularly paying $300+ per month and now I cut that considerably.

Once you get the lines hooked up it pretty much runs itself. If you do need customer service just call the vendor not PagePlus. If you do need something from them then its not impossible to reach them just difficult.

Trust me, PagePlus is the way to go. I have a Touch Pro 2 on PagePlus and it operates just as well as before, same clear calls, same data speeds.. why not switch?
    I actually got an email from them.

Why not switch? Since I don't know anyone locally using them, I'm leery. I'm also afraid that if it doesn't work out, that Verizon will insist I sign up for a data package if I want to come back.

There are ways...

If you want to experiment with PagePlus without the risk just buy a cheap i760 off of ebay or craigslist. You can get them for like $80 or less. I have bought i760s for as low as $50 on craigslist. From there you can try PagePlus with that handset and if it works out for you and you are fine with the decision, pull the plug on Verizon and sell your original handset.

Quote Originally Posted by leemcc View Post
    If you want to experiment with PagePlus without the risk just buy a cheap i760 off of ebay or craigslist. You can get them for like $80 or less. I have bought i760s for as low as $50 on craigslist. From there you can try PagePlus with that handset and if it works out for you and you are fine with the decision, pull the plug on Verizon and sell your original handset.
    Actually, I have a spare that I bought on ebay, and I have considered doing just that.

works fine for me, it is on vzw's network and don't notice any difference