+ Reply to Thread

Question Am I bricked, or can VzW rescue contacts?

Woke up Sunday morning and saw phone on floor (may have fallen from chair armrest onto carpeted floor), and it appeared to have a dead battery.

I had been playing with PhoneAlarm's settings Saturday night, before bed, and likely did a final soft reset without ever looking again at the screen.

Phone seemed to charge fine to green light, but when I powered-on for the first time, the phone got stuck on the VzW logo screen (after green WM 6.1 screen).

Soft resets got same result. So I did a hard reset, thinking I had a recent full Sprite backup on SD card.

Hard reset got the same screen lock-up, but showed the familiar "clearing data" beforehand.

Now, even doing Soft resets shows the "clearing data" message every time.

Not sure if it ever really began the Hard Reset process.

Hoping some data (Contacts) may still be there on the device.

No luck of the Irish for me this time, as my most recent daily Sprite backup got corrupt/imcomplete sometime last week and is missing on my SD card.

*** Any chance VzW corporate service center can extract any data/image (Contacts) without the phone ever really booting up, and transfer it to another i760? ***

I don't mind fix-it-yourself suggestions, as well. I'll try anything.

Thanks!
    Palm V...Kyocera 6035...7135...Samsung i700...i600...i730...UTS xv6700...Samsung i760...HTC Touch Pro2...iPhone 4s

I doubt it.. Vzw techs will really only work on a functioning phone.. anything remotely challenging and they will throw their hands up. I think you're looking at a data retrieval there is software and services out there. Have you tired running some undelete software on your data card?
    Just curious do you sync with Outlook? YOur contacts would be there too.
    Mark
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Don't rely on sd card backups alone

Thanks for your reply. No, unfortunately I wasn't syncing to Outlook or VzW Wireless Sync anymore. And I hadn't ran a Sprite desktop pc backup in several months, thought I do have that to fall back on at least. I have used "undelete / recover" utilities before, but I am going to try this one which seems to be free...
    PhotoRec - CGSecurity
    I'll report back if it finds my 160mb+ Sprite Backup file on the micro sd card...

UPDATE...
    No luck on the recovery of the Sprite full backup file. It was a longshot, but still curious why the program deleted it. This was the last successful backup:

Backup completed successfully
    Backup file : \Storage Card\i760Backup.exe
    Start time : 3/8/10, 11:02:40 PM
    End time : 3/8/10, 11:13:37 PM
    Time elapsed 10:57 Min:Sec
    Operation size : 164405 KB
    Image size : 164406 KB
    Average speed : 324 KB/second

Every backup attempt after that day, shows this:

Backup failed
    Backup file : \Storage Card\i760Backup.exe
    Start time : 3/12/10, 11:02:42 PM
    End time : 3/12/10, 11:11:25 PM
    Time elapsed 8:43 Min:Sec
    Operation size : 163504 KB
    Image size : 0 KB
    Average speed : 0 KB/second
    Error : Failed backing up system settings

Oh well, guess I'll take it into VzW just for kicks and see if they can make me happy customer.
    Last edited by bakpedal; 03-16-2010 at 02:37 AM.
    Palm V...Kyocera 6035...7135...Samsung i700...i600...i730...UTS xv6700...Samsung i760...HTC Touch Pro2...iPhone 4s