+ Reply to Thread

Looking for repurposing ideas for an unused i760

I switched to a Droid from my i760 about 6 months ago. I have my i760 just sitting on my desk at home. It seems like a waste to not be using it for *something*. Has anyone out there repurposed and unused i760 into anything cool?

You could try selling it on ebay/craigslist.

Or you can use it just to watch movies or listen to music.

Use it as a desk clock if you have a cradle...
    Use it as a baby sitter if you have kids
    Use it as a backup in case your new phone goes bellyup
    use it to run the programs that don't run on a Droid
    Use it as an ash tray if you don't care
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Give it to the kids

I have found that older windows mobile phones make excellent first time phones for your kids. Rather than giving them a non-smartphone where all they can do is rack up text messaging and download ringtones and cost you money, get them an i760 with no data and a good texting plan on your Verizon account and they will learn a lot more than they would if you bought them a razor.

My son learned how to install his own applications and games, hack in features he wants, change the wallpapers and screensavers, load his music, and is now working with RL Today to get that killer Call of Duty / Gears of War theme going.

Or you could give it to a younger child 4-7 years old as a better substitute to some leapfrog unit. I actually gave my daughter an older Ipaq and she loves it! Its the best gift I ever got her and it only cost $25 used on craigslist. I put in a 4GB card with all her barbie movies on it, she has her songs on it and lots of kiddie drawing programs and whatnot. Its her favorite toy.
    "We don't need no stinkin' iphones!!!" I love my Touch Pro 2..... Bleeding edge previous devices include the Samsung i760, dirrrty i730, XV6600, Blackberry 7750, Audiovox Thera, and Ipaq 5550.

Untill I replaced it with an old laptop I used my i730 in the kitchen in the cradle hooked up to some decent PC speakers and used it as a streaming music player via Sirius, Pandora, Shoutcast etc.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

leemcc...
    Great idea.. but I would suggest that you use Page Plus... even if you don't use the unlimited plans.. you can prepay it and when the time is up.. no more phone.. that way you're not paying for overtime!
    Mark
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

You could get a BT GPS and load TomTom Navigator on it and use it as a GPS for your car.

I should sell mine too. My droid is more than enough for me.

WiFi feature alone are worth keeping it

Even without a minute/dataplan, this is a nice wifi interface device for the home. have you checked the prices for some similar dedicated wireless home a/v devices lately? the i760 (and any wifi networked PDA's) acts as a great frontend controller for your entire media libary. Not to mention, it's a great web radio player (in any room) that will output via bluetooth to your speakers or stereo bluetooth adapter. The wireless radio, bluetooth, and touchscreen all make older pda phones a great longterm gadget.

We should change the name of this thread to "101 things to do with an old but working i760"

I am considering similar options for one I have, but the touchscreen doesn't work, so my options are more limited to button-pushing tasks or using it as a basic phone (which I did for a few weeks).
    Palm V...Kyocera 6035...7135...Samsung i700...i600...i730...UTS xv6700...Samsung i760...HTC Touch Pro2...iPhone 4s