+ Reply to Thread

2010 i760 Essential Apps & Setup

I know that our numbers are dwindling, but long live the faithful. Plus, we are getting new users. I know there are threads on people's favorite apps and different tweaks and hacks.

I thought it would be fun if we all just briefly ran through what we would do/install to a hard-reset i760 today. This would take in all our collective and collected wisdom and really break down what works for each of us. I won't describe everything, but the basic steps and must-have apps imo.

I'll start ... mainly go for Freeware found on Omarket or most commonly at the XDA Developer's forum (if you haven't checked it out do so now).

Upon a hard-reset I would -

• SPB Pocket Plus 4.1.0 - restore saved settings

For keybinding I have have -

Vol Up/Down - unchanged
    Start key - Short Press = Task Manager - Long Press = Screen Rotate
    OK key - Short Press = unchanged - Long Press = S2U2

(I've just become so comfortable with this it's a must-have for me at this point - couldn't imagine using WM without it. There are some alternatives and even freeware that does some of the functions, but it's a nice suite imo)

• SPB Weather

• Install S2U2 (latest version) - Restore saved settings

• Install Swype and SIP Change (there are threads here about it)

• Restore PIM information via PPCPimBackup v2.8.0.0

• Install OggSync 4.21 and restore Google Calendar sync

Large right menu for fingers

Applications must-have:

• Open Market (as many as the below via this as possible)
    • Total Commander (file manager)
    • Today Agenda (great home-screen calendar/task app)
    • Mobipocket (e-book reader)
    • CorePlayer or TCPMP of your choice (video playback)
    • MortPlayer (my prefered audio player - only one with proper A2DP/AVRCP support that I know of)
    • S2U2 (screen lock - essential when using Bluetooth Stereo headphones and all around useful imo)
    • OggSync (sync Google Calendar)
    • PPCPimBackup (PIM Backup/Restore)
    • Pocket UNO (obsession)
    • PockeTwit (fav client atm moTweets is good as well)
    • Opera Mini 5 beta (best mobile browser hands down - shame that there are glitches with the i760 keyboard - the w and v keys don't work - I have the older Java applet version as well but THAT sometimes freezes upon text input for me)
    • Skyfire (very impressive thin client browser like Mini, but slow - got flash)
    • Google Maps/Bing (kind of got to have these imo)
    • Pandora (tunes)
    • YouTube Player (official - it's quite good)
    • BeyondPod 3.1.1 (podcatcher)
    • G-Alarm (great alarm application v1.5.1 last free version - good stuff)
    • WM5torage (access SD card like a flash drive - much faster, but still not fast)
    • S2V (pic viewer)
    • EffComm (Today screen radio toggle - Toggle Wifi/Bluetooth/Phone)

Applications like-to-have:

• HTC Calculator
    • Kevtris 2
    • Virtual Pool Mobile
    • Zuma
    • PocketSand
    • PocketGBA and PocketSNES QVGA 1.43 (emulators - work well except for sound issues)
    • Facebook app - only good for uploading pics/vids imo
    • AOL 2.0 setup I found on XDA Devs site which works well

Okay, that's the main bits and bobs. There's other apps of course and perhaps other changes that are slipping my mind atm, but I wanted to get the ball rolling and see what others have setup.

*you don't have to go into detail, but does anyone have an application they would recommend as being the current best in category that I missed and/or one that does the job better than what I listed?
    Last edited by luca_bras1; 06-11-2010 at 09:02 AM.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

hello lucas,

i just connected my sch-i760 and i was i'm tethering via pdanet....i'm stoked to say the least.

i'm a former sch-i730 owner.

i'm contemplating on the following -

wmwifi router(i was told that i can wifi hotspot my phone with pdanet but i don't know how).

spb mobile 3.5

pocket hack master 4.36 or xcpuscalar 3.03

i'm hoping spb mobile 3.5 will satisfy all of my backup solutions. i was using xcpuscalar 3.0 with great success on my sch-i730.

i'm late to the game but i'm really loving this phone, only problem i have so far is i can't get my contacts in outlook 2003(using xp media center) to transfer over to my i760.

I don't know anything about wmwifi router. I have a data-block on my account and I only use Wifi.

I use SPB Pocket Plus 4.1.0 so I don't know much about the Shell. I did try the Shell once and I found it to be more involved than I needed (too much of a memory hog slowed everything down for me). Some people here LOVE it.

It is my understanding that the only o'clocking utility that works is PHM, but I can't use it that often since it kills bluetooth.

Hopefully others can help you as well. I think there are threads on each of these things here which go into detail.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

I like SPB Mobil Shell 3.5, it's much faster than the 3.0 and it offers a lot.

Sorry to say I think my phone might be donzo, the touch screen isn't responding at all, I've soft-reset about 3 times and I'm going to try a hard-reset as my last option.

Quote Originally Posted by Fannatick View Post
    I like SPB Mobil Shell 3.5, it's much faster than the 3.0 and it offers a lot.

Sorry to say I think my phone might be donzo, the touch screen isn't responding at all, I've soft-reset about 3 times and I'm going to try a hard-reset as my last option.
    why did you choose spb ms 3.5 over their other products like spb phone suite and spb pocket plus???

honestly i don't know the difference between the 3.

also what utilities program do you use? i have a trial of pocket mechanic pro but i've read good reviews on sktools.

I like SPB 3.5 because it's all in one, allowed me to customize to my liking and looked good.

3 was really slow, when changing to landscape it took 3-5 seconds, now it's nice and quick with 3.5.

I use to have a ton of programs and apps, around 20 but now I have about 3-5 since the phones been giving me trouble. G-Alarm is the only program I use daily and is nice and simple, love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fannatick View Post
    I like SPB 3.5 because it's all in one, allowed me to customize to my liking and looked good.

3 was really slow, when changing to landscape it took 3-5 seconds, now it's nice and quick with 3.5.

I use to have a ton of programs and apps, around 20 but now I have about 3-5 since the phones been giving me trouble. G-Alarm is the only program I use daily and is nice and simple, love it.
    thank you,

i looked at the list the l_b1 posted and i didn't notice any utility apps like pocket mechanic pro/sktools.

i'm looking for one or a couple.