+ Reply to Thread

Question Setup - need some help

I stumbled across this website while I was researching the SCH-i760, because I wanted a phone w/ Wi-Fi, which I didnít have to pay $29.99/month to Verizon for. You guys have an impressive amount of information here, a bit of an overload of information.
    I purchased a phone off eBay. My question is, should I go ahead and activate the phone or upgrade to WM 6.1 (Iím pretty sure it still has WM 6.0) prior to activating it. The phone still has the previous owner's information and their emails/messages on the phone, which I assume I can easily get rid of using a hard reset. I have never owned/operated a smart phone before.
    Also, is there a setup guide for this phone? I saw the jump start guide, but not really a setup guide for a "new" phone. I also saw the "2010 i760 Essential Apps & Setup" thread, but I don't have anything to restore to it at all. The jump start guide says to activate, then hard reset. When do I do the WM 6.1 update?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by cpm0813; 07-04-2010 at 03:59 PM.

I don't think it makes much difference as to when you do the WM 6.1. I would first do a hard reset to wipe out all the old user's personal information (he/she should have done that before sending you the phone). Then, after you've done the hard reset, activate the i760 with Verizon. After that, install the WM 6.1 upgrade. Once you've upgraded to WM 6.1, start customizing the i760 to your liking.

Enjoy!
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

Check on Samsungs and Vzw's website.. they have PDF's of all the manuals that came with the phone. Good place to start if you've never had a smart phone before.. but in the end you'll find more info here!
    @iProb8... good to see you sticking your head in every now and then!
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

WM6.1 link

I went to Samsung's website, but the link for the Vista update doesn't work, Based on the reply in this thread, should I even bother with the update, 6.1 update link broken?

If it seems like too much of a risk then see if you can be happy with with 6.0. Personally I have seen less lockups and several small improvements like the threaded SMS, Wifi and Task managers.

I say try upgrading, but be careful.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by luca_bras1 View Post
    If it seems like too much of a risk then see if you can be happy with with 6.0. Personally I have seen less lockups and several small improvements like the threaded SMS, Wifi and Task managers.

I say try upgrading, but be careful.
    Anyone know anywhere else I can obtain the Vista update since the link on Samsung's website doesn't work? Thanks.

Edit (7/12/10 1:05 PM EDT):
    For those who are also looking for the file, you *should* be able to get the file you need from here:
    Support for SCH-i760 SAMSUNG
    Under "Downloads" click on "Software"
    FYI, it's slow.
    I'm downloading the Vista file currently. I'm hoping it is MR3.

While I was doing some searching, I also spoke to a Samsung tech support person using the online chat and they sent me a link to Microsoft's website for WM 6.5...
    Last edited by cpm0813; 07-12-2010 at 12:11 PM. Reason: found the file!