+ Reply to Thread

Another phone bites the dust...

Well guys/gals..
    my i760 finally gave up the ghost... it just disintegrated... over time it somehow got some stress cracks and slowly fell apart. in its last days it was held together with a rubberband. I should have taken a pic of it and posted for all to see ,, it was pretty comical to use the phone with the two halves separated, held together by only the flex cable. I've also never been thrilled with soft screen as it always seemed to fail with the dreaded dark splotch.. So I put a claim into assurion and told them I had issues with the screen on every i760 replacement I'd gotten and they agreed to replace it with something else. They Lead me to believe it would be a TouchPro2 but sent me a TouchPro (1)... because they said it was an equivalent phone that could be activated on my existing plan according to Verizon's guidelines... well HA! you see I have "pay as you go" and pretty much keep it turned off, Vzw forced me into that when they killed off my previous data plan with my last insurance replacement... And Now Verizon is saying I must get a data plan, even though Assurion is following Verizon's guidelines for replacements. If this doesn't get worked out I will be porting my numbers to page plus.. I will likely do it anyway as I'm tired of battling with Verizon. I've been a customer for 15 years and they seem to have lost any sense of loyalty to old customers. They've changed their focus to getting new customers through churn. And all those old customers with good plans that were acquired through various promotions over the years are not worth the money to keep around. Unless they can be churned into a new more expensive plan. I've found out that any new PDA phone I get will force me into a new data/voice plan and I will loose all my economical plan features I've acquired. Verizon insists that these new phones require these new plans because they are hardwired in some way.. nope.. they require the new plans because it makes more money for Verizon... phone is phone, text are texts, that technology hasn't changed.. just they way they charge for the package!

sigh...so much for my rant..

I miss the hard keypad already. I think the i760 will be the last of its breed in that sense. and the keyboard was nice too.. at least this phone has a d-pad, another feature that is getting rare in PDA phones. And I hate to say it, but I think WM6x will be going the way of the dodo judging by the momentum of the Android OS's and Microsoft's WM7 model is looking like Apple envy. A friend is going to give me is old i760 in the meantime.. so I'll have it as a backup..
    hasta.. thanks for all the fish!
    Mark
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

It's sad to see you go MGuzzy but I've done the same. I am really happy with my Samsung Reality, granted it doesn't have as many features as my trusty i760 did but it's quick, efficient and pretty cool.

Good luck with the new phone. Thanks for the helpful responses and tips in the past.

Thanks for the props... I will still be hangin' around... albeit life has intervened in a big way so I stick my nose in when I can.
    Mark

It's my understanding that VZW requires a data plan on any smart phone released after August of 2008. Not sure how accurate that is I could look back at my email.

I think the latest smart phone released which gets under this wire was the Touch Diamond? I could be wrong.

Ah ha here's the quote from the email I got:

If you purchase any of the new devices that we are offering now, you are not able to activate the equipment without a data plan. Unfortunately there is no option to block the data as the phone simply cant be activated without it. If your purchase equipment from someone such as eBay, etc and it launched before 11/14/2008 you will may have the option to block the data. Before purchasing the equipment you may contact customer service by dialing 611 from your cell phone and we can check the serial number for you.
    I think I researched it and found that the Touch Pro was release RIGHT after that date and a the Diamond right before. I was going to try and find a Diamond just for a change, but said fughetaboutit.

Really stinks, but it's the way of the world it seems. If I'm going to pay for data it's going to be on a modern phone.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

Quote Originally Posted by luca_bras1 View Post
    It's my understanding that VZW requires a data plan on any smart phone released after August of 2008. Not sure how accurate that is I could look back at my email.

I think the latest smart phone released which gets under this wire was the Touch Diamond? I could be wrong.

Ah ha here's the quote from the email I got:

I think I researched it and found that the Touch Pro was release RIGHT after that date and a the Diamond right before. I was going to try and find a Diamond just for a change, but said fughetaboutit.

Really stinks, but it's the way of the world it seems. If I'm going to pay for data it's going to be on a modern phone.
    Yeah... but to predate that by 10 years I was assured (in writing at one point) that my account plan and features would never be changed unless I wanted to. Then with the new way Vzw has decided to tie data plans to the phone they have changed my plan no less than 5 times without my consent. And now they're not even following the guidelines they laid out for Assurion... So... if they are going to force me into a contemporary plan with an arbitrary data plan requirement what incentive do I have to stay with them... none any more, there is no monetary incentive anymore, and no loyalty as they have rescinded every promise made to me in the past... coverage is not an issue as every carrier's networks have matured, and look at all the good smartphones in the used phone market. So I'm shopping around. I know business is business... and I'm back to being an informed consumer, welcome to the churn.
    Mark

phone exchange update- some of the features of this phone are better than the i760...
    the processor is quicker.
    TouchFlo interface is nice but results in too many autodialed calls and is not configurable (I know I can go to XDA and get whatever), so I put SPB mobile shell on it.
    The screen responds to finger presses which is nice but results in lots of false taps if the screen is on when in my case... That was a nice side effect of the stylus only input..
    Higher resolution screen makes for a nice display, but half my apps don't display correctly
    I'm not thrilled about the keyboard as its hard to differentiate the keys by feel.. but the layout is a little more intuitive.
    fun toys: it has a built in GPS and G sensor.,... whoo hoo...
    the design of the d-pad makes it easy to initiate the other key taps, especially the phone key.
    No phone keypad..miss that!
    Mark