+ Reply to Thread

Looking to get a i760 - questions

I may be getting an i760.

1. Does it need a data plan to be activated?

2. The phone is in good shape. How much should I pay for it?

3. If I do get it, what are some of the first things I should do to make it function optimally?

Thanks

Administrator
    1. most likely it does. question is will VZW activate such an old phone, even if you tel them its for emergencies only?

2. it should be free. the phone is so old and hardly compatible with current cellular technology.

3. well the touch screen, keyboard, battery life, back light, earpiece and audio jack--basically the physical parts of the phone. the battery is likely not going to last long so you need spares.

why do you want such an old, outdated device? nostalgia reasons?

Yes you should be able to activate it on Page plus or Vzw. Vzw will make you get some kind of data plan, no doubt. Read through the i760 forum for tips on setting it up. I still have one that I keep for giggles. Be aware the soft screen is wears out, that's what always happened to mine.
    Mark
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

This phone was before data plans were required on smartphones. So you should be able to activate it without a plan.
    -George

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgesBlazah View Post
    This phone was before data plans were required on smartphones. So you should be able to activate it without a plan.
    Theoretically yes, But this phone was around at the time that VZW changed their policies on Data plans. I think you could only activate it without a data plan if you did so before a certain date (several years ago). To activate it now would force you into a data plan. I know this because every time I got a i760 as warranty replacement verizon tried to add a data package back on to my plan. I don't know what their policy is now because I switched from Verizon for this very reason.. they kept changing my plans and features without my consent and adding data packages without my knowledge.
    Mark
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

Clueless Noob
    I agree with the previous poster...skip vzw since they will likely require a data plan. check out pageplus cellular; they use verizon's network and the i760's worked flawlessly on PP.

These forums are so dead that people are only talking about dead phones?

I have the exact same desire to have a non-data plan phone with zero BS that's just a phone/nothing else. (I have a high end StarTac with an unopened spare battery and all the accessories!)

Thing is that the cellular companies are evil and they will fight you at every step because they want you stuck on a phone with a data plan knowing that if you could just have a phone you'd use your tablet/PDA on WiFi and cut them out of some serious profits.

Grrr..