Closed Thread
Page 1 of 376 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Samsung i760 - Release/Rumor Thread

Awright, we may or may not be able to establish the veracity of this obscure intelligence, but it's waaaaay interesting.

This image comes from an unrelated HoFo post presented to confirm VZW's upcoming release of the Samsung U740, a small, dual-hinge QWERTY unit. It purports to be an internal VZW document.

Now, if you scoll down to proposed Q1 '07 releases, look at what appears:

Samusung (sic) i760 (Robin) 2/12 (a Monday)

We need to dig into the FCC archives and see if this baby has been submitted for type acceptance as a CDMA device. If it's to release in early Feb, it should be approved imminently.

Thought you'd all like to see this curiosity. If it's legit, we can stop spinning wheels and contemplate the prospect of an official ix30 successor in '07. You decide...

--BAM

VZW internal marketing document (?)
    http://img329.imageshack.us/my.php?i...061200amh7.jpg

Samsung i760 info
    http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/smart...uty-206778.php

Samsung u740 info (of no particular interest)
    http://www.phonescoop.com/news/item.php?n=1967
    Last edited by KBAM; 11-17-2006 at 12:15 PM.

Next Gen 100%
    Use the search buttons...

There's been threads on this before, and whether or not Verizon gets it, it isn't as beefy as the ix30 series, and it doesn't have an SDIO slot.

Not worth it IMO.

Despite LG's harsh "search" response, I think this is interesting since you added the link to the potential release date. Also, I think the previous posts were all about it being GSM and Europe/Asia only.

Thanks, KBAM.

D.

Living Ghost,

What's not to like?

You may be missing something here. Am well aware of other threads on the GSM version of this device, the SGH-i760. Have commented at length therein.

Make no mistake, the i760 is, at least on paper, a better school than our alma mater. It's based on the
    same XScale PXA 27x (Bulverde) 520mHz processor and apparently the same graphics architecture, but it cleans up subsystems (e.g., Wi-Fi, BT, etc.) and reintroduces the cam (actually, 2 cams) once planned for the ix30 but withdrawn by VZW. It drops SD but this is no surprise; just about everyone has. The i760's about 35% lighter than our current shooter and thinner to boot. You could say it's the ix30 "R2."

Presumably, a CDMA version of this platform (if it's for real) would incorporate WM5 AKU3.x as well.

The timing's just right for a next gen ix30--by Feb, it will be nearly two years since this form factor first rolled out. Still, would like to see better graphics and EvDO Rev A added to the spec list.

Looks like a faster CPU will take a while--Intel sold XScale to Marvell at mid-year and momentum was lost.

The Gizmodo piece mischaracterizes the i760 as a Smartphone and compares it to the Q. The 760's clearly a PPC and, well, there's no comparison.

It's fair to say the i760 is Sammy's new flagship.

drzeller,

You're welcome.

Right about the previous posts. We'd speculated about the likelihood of the i760's migrating to CDMA. Hopefully, it's on the way...

--BAM

P.S. Not to be overlooked is that if the i760's confirmed, Stickymeister mrailing should be good for another tour of duty, lol.

Anxiously Awaiting Android jpurv's Avatar
    Glad to see this new info as well. It looks legit to me, although a little strange that their docs would refer to it as the "Samsung i760" instead of "Samsung SCH-i760", although this could be chalked up to the fact that an official name may not have been assigned yet.

Not sure if I'd be willing to trade an SD slot for lighter weight and a camera (the front facing camera will surely be dropped in the CDMA version, unless it indeed has rev. A and Verizon wants to use this phone to showcase it's capabilities - I'm not holding my breath). If it has native A2DP probably, if not, probably not.
    Free Katie Holmes!

Next Gen 100%
    Not as much ram = less programs.

BTW, there's been lots of talk about that list at phone scoop, and, most people think it's fake.

If I don't get a Sprint i830 before this phone comes out, I'll probably get this one.

And the reason I was so harsh about the search, is because that was what I was told when I made a thread about it.

I still would like an i770 with a sure-type keyboard more, because it is a flip phone, and it's currently out in China as a quad band CDMA and GSM phone.

Living Ghost,

Just to clarify, the SGH-760 (for GSM) has the same memory architecture as the ix30 family, 64MB RAM/128MB ROM.

The SCH-i760 (for CDMA), if it exists or will soon exist, would presumably have the same.

Still, it's time for more memory in PPCs. Even if RAM remains at 64MB for a while due to integration with CPU, there's no reason ROM couldn't increase to 1GB. In fact, Sanyo is doing just this with its new (non-WM) M1 for Sprint.

--BAM

http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/Sany...le-a_1573.html

Note:
    Believe the current ix30 devices employ the Intel/Marvell XScale PXA272 (Bulverde) CPU (520 MHz with 64 MB of 32-bit stacked StrataFlash memory).

Alternatively, there's another variant, the PXA270 520 MHz stand-alone processor with no packaged memory. Use of the non-integrated part, however, would presumably require more motherboard real estate that could lead to a more bulky unit.
    Last edited by KBAM; 11-18-2006 at 11:56 AM.

Next Gen 100%
    Ah, ok. Didn't know that.

Well, it looks like we're all screwed if the i770 comes out (which the rumor mill says will be before xmas), then the i760 after that.

Well, my current phone is kaput, so I have to hope that I can either get an i830 or that i770.

just a little off topic
    the 5th image on gizmodo site which shows today screen
    has an item "No missed call"
    does anybody know which software does that?

Quote Originally Posted by Living Ghost
    Well, it looks like we're all screwed if the i770 comes out (which the rumor mill says will be before xmas), then the i760 after that.
    Where have you heard these rumors? The only time I ever heard any speculation about a CDMA i770 was shortly after the FCC info leaked on the GSM version. At that time, PCSIntel.com had an article discussing Sprint and Verizon's plans for PDAs and indicated that Verizon was interested in the i770. I would love some details on these rumors!

David
    Converged since 2002.
    Prior devices: Treo 300, Treo 600, iMate PDA2k, Motorola MPX200, Motorola MPX220 & Motorola MPX300, Samsung i730.

I've been looking at the Pantech flip for a while now as a replacement for my i730. Obviously, i would be giving up a lot in terms of features, but I've had my Sammy for a year and a half now, and I think I'm about ready for a new form factor.

Now, if the Sammy i770 really is coming out soon on Verizon, that would totally change my mind about going the Smartphone route!
    Converged since 2002.
    Prior devices: Treo 300, Treo 600, iMate PDA2k, Motorola MPX200, Motorola MPX220 & Motorola MPX300, Samsung i730.

i noticed on that doc it had the libra release date on 1/8 which will be interesting to see if that happens. i also wonder what the "dashboard" is? it would be nice if it was a version of the "dash" but that would be a little too easy...

It feels cheap

Quote Originally Posted by Digdah
    It feels cheap
    What feels cheap?

I can't imagine VzW would release 3 pda phones in one quarter (according to the list, the Libra, Titan, and i760 would all come out in a 2 month period). With that said, I would be all over a i760!

Love the idea of a flip phone, but a smartphone wouldn't cut it. Remember the Sammy i600? Can't go back to smartphone--it would be like going back to an original Nintendo....

We'll see what rolls out. No word of what the new releases are over on VzW's customer council.....
    Jeremiah 29:11

The interesting thing about the ugly Libra is that it will support EVDO Rev A ( http://www.phonescoop.com/news/item.php?n=1892 ). Maybe VzW will be rolling this out soon? (or Sprint )
    Last edited by mwfielder; 11-20-2006 at 11:34 PM.
    Jeremiah 29:11

Sprint is already rolling out their RevA, I haven't heard/read anything about it from VZW, I think they are having a hard enough time with thier reg. EVDO coverage.
    In the palm of my hand...

Next Gen 100%
    The i770 is a flip phone with a keyboard.

As I said, the quad band version of it is already out in China.

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mwfielder
    The interesting thing about the ugly Libra will support EVDO Rev A ( http://www.phonescoop.com/news/item.php?n=1892 ). Maybe VzW will be rolling this out soon? (or Sprint )
    I actually like this device and would love it in all black.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 376 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 101 ... LastLast