View Poll Results: Would you assist in contributing to get an i760 for MRailing and SuperDave

Voters
153. This poll is closed
  • Yes, I would be willing to contribute to get an i760 for MR and SD

113 73.86%
  • No, I would not be able to make a contribution at this time

40 26.14%
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Converged and Redeemed

Put an i760 in the hands of MR & SD

Hello everyone -
    With the probability of the release of the new i760 in the next month or so, it would seem to be in the best interests of everyone that plans to get this phone to make sure that there are specifically two individuals who have this phone from the start - MRailing and SuperDave.

Back just before the release of the i730, there was a thread started and a PayPal account established to accept contributions toward purchasing an i730 for SuperDave. Anyone who has been around this place long enough knows what a tremendous help it was to have him using the phone and creating all of the many modifications for it that we used.

Over these past two years, there has been no two people more responsible for the ease-of-use of the i730 than MRailing and SuperDave.

I can't think of having the i760 without the wonderful assistance that MRailing provides, and SD has provided. SD has moved away from the i730, but has indicated that if he had an i760 that he would do for it what he has done for the i730.

MRailing, our moderator, would never personally start a thread like this, so I will. His tireless work in keeping the forum organized, providing support and assistance to everyone, writing the user manual, creating workarounds, etc, has been appreciated by us all. His latest little bit of work, creating the icons and the workaround to customize the Windows Mobile Device Center to make it phone-specific has been downloaded over 7,000 times. With SuperDave, I have lost track of how many patches and fixes he created for us. And, of course, don't forget that we had the WM5 upgrade far earlier than vzw ever made it possible due to their combined efforts.

Please add your comments to this thread, and take the poll so that we can track the results. If the results are postive, which I suspect they will be, then MRailing and SD can add links in the thread to an appropriate PayPal account.
    Last edited by tsatryan; 04-18-2007 at 11:07 AM.
    Pastor Tim Satryan
    Communicating the Good News!
    Visit my website - WILMINGTON first assembly of God

Converged and Redeemed
    Just an FYI - this is the thread regarding contributing to getting the i730 for SD - Is superdave Joining the I730 Users?
    Pastor Tim Satryan

Great thread and great idea! (If a little self-serving

Converged and Redeemed
    Ummm... not self-serving to me at all... I receive nothing from this other than the wonderful assistance that I am confident that will become available.
    Pastor Tim Satryan

Great idea, Pastor Tim! Thanks for starting this thread.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    Great idea tsatryan however, rather jumping right to the members to contribute……..

I think it is time that the owner(s) needs to think about compensating the Mods of this forum. This is in light of how this forum has changed/grown over the years.

What I mean is this forum started out as a small self serving site run by the mod volunteers and the great members. We have all seen it grow into a different type of site with hyperlink advertising and regular advertising. So before we ask the members of this site to give lets first ask the owner of this site to consider some kind of compensation for the mods of this site in the form of maybe the cell phone that they are volunteering to mod for.

As cell phones morph into mini computers this site is going to see more traffic and depend on the best mods and skilled members even more for support. So this site is going to grow even more. A little investment on the owner’s part could go along way………

I’d like to wait on this until we hear what the owner of this site has in mind.
    Last edited by Mark_A_K; 04-18-2007 at 12:43 PM.

Converged and Redeemed
    Interesting thought, Mark, but that would most likely take far more time than we want. I would like them to have the phone as soon as they are out of the gate. Another thought, that I have no clue about and is frankly none of my business, is how much income this site actually generates for the owner, and would his purchasing a phone for all the moderators even be possible. Or would it even be proper. But those questions are for a different discussion.
    Pastor Tim Satryan

Thumbs up

Just tell me where to send the dough....

There is no better front line than PDAphoneHome, Mike, SD, and the other superb programs and tinkerers have turned this phone into a great (and fun) experience. Contributing to a phone for either is well worth it. I would love to turn this thread into a lets butter every one that has helped with various hacks and mods party line but I'm not that gifted in the gab department. So I say thank you and where do i sign.

Jonas
    -Jonas

'Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Given the number of people that regularly visit the i730 forum, I would think that if we each contributed $20, that would be sufficient to get an i760 into Michael's and SuperDave's hands.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

Sure, pass the plate Pastor. I'll give, just don't expect me to show up on Sunday! Just kidding. Question, Do we know if SD would be on board for this phone? We don't want any half-hearted converts, if you know the old chorus, 99 and a half won't do! (Also, if I give, do I have to testify (post) about my experiences or can I keep lurking?) (My congregation would be embarrassed to see me acting this way...) <oooo, i'm up to 13 posts now!>

I am flattered, and I have spoken to SuperDave about this, and he said if he has the device, and there are things to fix, he's on board...

Comfortably Converged
    Normally, I would say no to something like this, but of all the pda's/ppc's (five total) I have had in the last two years I have received the most help from the 730 crew led by SD and MR. The one and only time I have donated money for something similar to this it was basically wasted money. I honestly dont think this will be the case. I'm in for 20.00 just tell me where to go.

Also, I already have my money set aside from selling all my other stuff to buy the 760 I sent an email to verizon requesting a business rep who called me yesterday. She is moving my acct and my wifes acct over to one in the name of my business. She said she would call me tomorrow and let me know what she can do to get the 760 in my hands as soon as she could. Probably a long shot but worth a try.

...That Funky Monkey brassMONKEY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pbajr
    Sure, pass the plate Pastor. I'll give, just don't expect me to show up on Sunday! Just kidding. Question, Do we know if SD would be on board for this phone? We don't want any half-hearted converts, if you know the old chorus, 99 and a half won't do! (Also, if I give, do I have to testify (post) about my experiences or can I keep lurking?) (My congregation would be embarrassed to see me acting this way...) <oooo, i'm up to 13 posts now!>
    haha, classic! who says this forum community doesnt have personality!

Quote Originally Posted by tsatryan
    Hello everyone -
    With the probability of the release of the new i760 in the next month or so, it would seem to be in the best interests of everyone that plans to get this phone to make sure that there are specifically two individuals who have this phone from the start - MRailing and SuperDave.
    hmmm very interesting thought, tsatryan, my religious buddy... while I am happy to contribute to Mrailing and SD (assuming SD is "in" on the 760 -He told me last month was was happy with his PN820 and he "wasnt sure about the 760, yet"), I agree with Marky Mark_A_K -I think Mods should be paid by pdaphonehome.

How much revenue is pdaphonehome.com realizing from advertising because of the effort of great mods/contributors like MRailing and SuperDave?

Where do we draw the line with who to contribute to? -Countless others help make this forum what it is. ....I think Mrailing already has a paypal account for donations.
    Last edited by brassMONKEY; 04-18-2007 at 07:23 PM.

Next Gen 100%
    I'll contribute.

I'm in! It's worth it for the help this forum has provided.

I'm in..... Thanks for all the help guys....

sofa king we todd did superdave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brassMONKEY
    (assuming SD is "in" on the 760 -He told me last month was was happy with his PN820 and he "wasnt sure about the 760, yet"), I agree with Marky Mark_A_K -I think Mods should be paid by pdaphonehome.

Thanks for all the nice comments/offers. I definitely love my pn820 (best phone I've ever had), but, I am always willing to help out. The i760 has potential, especially with the keypad on the outside. I think it will be even better if we can get wm7 on it.

,Dave

A "Mod-esque" Proposal

Some good points made here. An inspirational thread, tsatryan.

Frankly, among the best ways to finance PDAPhH Mods/Admins--and they do deserve compensation--is to develop a "sponsoring" (premium) membership tier for a Mod-esque annual fee, say something under $50. A number of valuable enhancements/benefits could be included in such a plan, but it's best left for a separate discussion.

Let's do the math...

Here are stats, including some spun out of published, system-wide PDAPhH data:

Total online now: 792
    Members online now: 52
    Lurker/Member ratio: 15.2:1

Most ever online: 1,444 (01/16/06)

Total no. of Members: 57,117
    Total no. of Threads: 77,839
    Total no. of Posts: 605,307

Threads/Member: 1.4
    Posts/Member: 10.6
    Posts/Thread: 7.8

By HoFo standards (621,163 members; 1,096,500 threads; 8,787,084 posts), our group's still tiny. But hey, it's all about QUALITY. We're now arguably the seat of thought leadership in mobility--and PDAPhH's growing nicely.

Now, the key to offering Premium Memberships is...Exclusivity. Thus, it's gotta be a "Limited Edition" program.

If restricted to 3.0 percent of the membership, PDAPhH could sign just 1,714 "Supremes."

Currently, there appear to be 2 Admins (in addition to Convergent) and 14 Mods; thus, 16 non-owner "mouths" to feed.

If Premium Membership costs $48/yr, then we can raise $82,272. If 70% of revenue is allocated to Admin/Mod compensation (20% pays for enhanced services for Premium Members; 10% goes to the business), then $57,590 can be paid out.

Thus, each of the staff of 16 can be paid about $300 monthly. Not exactly 'rock star' largesse, but it will cover the phone bill, an aircard account, some third party apps, and a couple of devices. It's certainly a place to start.

We should lobby for this sort of approach, as it's the right thing to do for Admins/Mods, for bleeding-edge members, and for PDAPhH as the flagship of convergence.

But in the meantime, sure, go the PayPal route.

Comments encouraged.

--BAM

Note: The SD Skunkworks would still be separate, as it remains selective and device-specific.
    Last edited by KBAM; 04-18-2007 at 11:28 PM.

Although you math is great, this is what usually kills a newsgroup. Once money comes into play, expectation changes. Right now, we get gifts as they come along, with no rush. If somebody does post a nice little toy (like Superdave's goodies), people will contribute $5 or $10 as a token of appreciation.

However, when money starts changing hands, then things become nasty. "Where is my....." or "How long does it takes" or "What the hell is this." becomes the new mantra, and it isn't pretty. Further, membership drops like a stone, and people will bail to other newsgroups where things are free. It may not be right, but it happens all the time.

John

P.S. Sorry for the "hell" remark tsatryan. Of course the word "satan" is embedded in your name. (I'm kidding, I'm kidding...I feel like I will burn for that one).
    2 things to live by:
    John 8:12a - "I am the light of the world." and
    John 14:1a - "Let not your heart be troubled."

Converged and Redeemed
    lol. Like I haven't heard that before....
    Pastor Tim Satryan

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast