+ Reply to Thread

Developer Availability

Hello All,

Just ran across this and thought folks might be a little interested... It looks like Skype is already getting ready to support the i760. I am sure they are just porting the i730 version and saying "it's ready for the i760". But it got me thinking about how quickly developers must prepare their product for the new platform. Does Samsung (or Verizon more like) let the developer world what will and will not work with their new toy? How quickly are the developers able to get a jump on the software side of the coin? Just curious.

Regards,

Squid

Sorry, when I checked the link, I realized this was the wrong i760. The only reason I am leaving this is because the question still seems a pertinent...
    Last edited by Squid; 04-23-2007 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Update...

What developers are able to do is download a SDK (Software Development Kit) for Windows Mobile, specifically Windows Mobile 6 SDK for Professional and Standard. This is a program that plugs in to Visual Studio and allows a person to run an emulator for a specific product to test their software before any device is finally released.

I am sure in some cases, some large developers (like Microsoft) can request products from the manufacturers, but with the amount of "small" developers it isn't possible for a manufacturer to supply devices to all developers, so the SDK is the way that developers are able to develop for unreleased devices.

This is also why many patches have to be made, so that it can be tweaked for a device once it's finally released, and actually tested on that device.

Here is the download for the Windows Mobile 6 SDK:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...f-3d48091a390b

That is for both Professional and Standard (Pocket PC and Smartphone).

Something else that was interesting, Microsoft screwed up and posted it before they wanted to "officially" release it on March 1, and it showed up on February 12th, but then was promptly removed.

Now if you wanted to develop for the Windows Mobile 6 OS, you would need to have a copy of Visual Studio, and the Windows Mobile 6 SDK.

Here is some more information on the WM6 SDK:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb278115.aspx

Redskins fan
    This raises an interesting point for me (a non-techie). Are these new apps being developed on .NET 2.0 or .NET 3.0? In people's estimation, will there be backwards-compatibility with existing apps for the i730 (GPS software or older apps like Total Commander)? Most importantly, will PhoneHelper work?

Thanks.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by greenbep
    This raises an interesting point for me (a non-techie). Are these new apps being developed on .NET 2.0 or .NET 3.0? In people's estimation, will there be backwards-compatibility with existing apps for the i730 (GPS software or older apps like Total Commander)? Most importantly, will PhoneHelper work?

Thanks.

Paul
    PhoneHelper was an application designed by one of our users to help the i730. It's VERY product specific, and it most likely won't work on the i760, but then again, we don't know if we will even need it, or what we will need.

It's up to the developer as to what they use to code. .NET is a package that allows for easy programming of devices. .NET helps take the load of the programmers so they don't have to code as much, as .NET is basically of library of tools for their use. Each version of it introduces new commands they can use, and functions they can access. Also each .NET version can run the previous commands, but the previous ones can't run the new ones.

So for example, I code something in .NET 2, and you open it in 3, it will work, but if I program in 2 and you try to open it with v1, then it might work, but it depends on the commands I used, and if I used something from v2, then it won't work.

So, as far as PhoneHelper goes. Unless there is a need for something, and if Dimension programs it, then we might have it, otherwise, don't count on needing it, or having it.

Redskins fan
    Thanks, Michael. Yes, I know dimension created PhoneHelper (it's fantastic), but hopefully WM6 will have that functionality built in.

It sounds like most apps on WM5 will work on WM6, which is good news.

Just a quick clarification, .NET is not reverse compatible. That is, if I develop an app using the 2.0 framework, you couldn't run it if you only had the 3.0 framework installed. even worse, I'm pretty sure you need to have the exact service pack that the product was targeted to (i.e. 1.0 vs 1.1)

Quote Originally Posted by mrailing
    PhoneHelper was an application designed by one of our users to help the i730. It's VERY product specific, and it most likely won't work on the i760, but then again, we don't know if we will even need it, or what we will need.

It's up to the developer as to what they use to code. .NET is a package that allows for easy programming of devices. .NET helps take the load of the programmers so they don't have to code as much, as .NET is basically of library of tools for their use. Each version of it introduces new commands they can use, and functions they can access. Also each .NET version can run the previous commands, but the previous ones can't run the new ones.

So for example, I code something in .NET 2, and you open it in 3, it will work, but if I program in 2 and you try to open it with v1, then it might work, but it depends on the commands I used, and if I used something from v2, then it won't work.

So, as far as PhoneHelper goes. Unless there is a need for something, and if Dimension programs it, then we might have it, otherwise, don't count on needing it, or having it.