Poll: Would you switch carriers just to use a different PDA phone?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Question Would You Switch Carriers Just to Buy a Different PDAPhone

With all the talk of the iPhone and the i760 and, particularly, VZW's holding back of the i760 until the iPhone is released, I was curious as to how many people would switch carriers just to get a different device.

For me, I've stuck with VZW because the coverage is the best in my area and the rates are competitive. I couldn't see myself switching to a different carrier just so I could use a different device. For example, I love Apple and Apple products. However, even if the iPhone were undisputably the best PDAPhone (I'm not saying it is; I just saying if it were), I still wouldn't switch to Cingular to get it because, from what I understand from others, Cingular coverage in Phoenix is terrible.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by iProb8 View Post
    With all the talk of the iPhone and the i760 and, particularly, VZW's holding back of the i760 until the iPhone is released, I was curious as to how many people would switch carriers just to get a different device.

For me, I've stuck with VZW because the coverage is the best in my area and the rates are competitive. I couldn't see myself switching to a different carrier just so I could use a different device. For example, I love Apple and Apple products. However, even if the iPhone were undisputably the best PDAPhone (I'm not saying it is; I just saying if it were), I still wouldn't switch to Cingular to get it because, from what I understand from others, Cingular coverage in Phoenix is terrible.
    I agree with your logic. I think much also depends on what your requirements are - for me a good cell phone is the highest priority, with the web and PDA functions very secondary (in my example.) The jury hasn't even convened yet for either of these devices... and part of the analysis has to be the carriers themselves.
    John

To be honest here I have T-Mobile,Cingular and VZW as my cell phone carriers. VZW has the best call quality and NEVER had dropped calls. I will never ever again go to Sprint Cingular on the other hand has decent call quality and very FEW dropped calls. T-Mobile has bad call quality and MANY dropped calls. I am trying out the Wing now and it stands NO chance compared to i730. WM6 is NOTHING but a hype. That said I think VZW will be my preffered carrier for now, till AT&T can "help" Cingular change their ads to say "Most Reliable GSM Carrier"
    I am looking to stay with a carrier that has dependable service and NOT that much concerned with "devices".
    Funny it worked.....the last time! Now I am not sure what was working before they put a hole in my head !

I would choose the option "depends on the carrier"

Forever Confused
    That's a hard choose. I've been with verizon for some time now, and don't really remember what other systems have been like around here. Lets see I was with cellularone (gone), then it turned to airtouch (gone), then I went to ameritech (i think it was) (gone), which turned to cingular for about 6 monthes, now verizon. None have had great service in all area. Infact here at home my signal sucks. And right now I'm thinking that what phones are coming up, I may go back to cingular and take my 4 lines with me. Getting a phone with todays tech today, means something.

I've been a sprint customer for 6 years, I just switched to Cingular. I got tired of having 2 bars everywhere I went and having my calls / data drop when I went inside. I got tired of losing signal on I95 between jupiter and plam beach, FL. I got tired of waiting for better PDA's only to see they are available on GSM networks.

I checked out the free Cingular trial and ported over in 5 days. It works flawlessly in my area and even though I don't have 3g yet the data speeds are only about 2-4 seconds slower on average for a large web page to load. Not even worth mentioning really, so when 3g comes in August (they are already switching some towers) I'll have it all, although 2-4 seconds isn't really worth getting excited about, maybe 3g will be even faster than EDVO here.

Now I can choose from pretty much any phone out there. Get WM6 custom roms and have the benefits of XDA folks and their work. I can also switch phones on a whim and not be at the mercy of Sprint or deal with Verizon's cripple devices. For me the network wasn't noticeably better so I didn't feel it was necessary to pay verizon the extra money.

Price is also the same as Sprint. 19.99 data with media max. Sure you have to go around the system a bit to get that data plan with a pda but its really not a big deal.
    Last edited by Aridon; 05-25-2007 at 01:42 PM.

Started with Sprint. If you got off the beaten path you had no signal. Chased the tech to Cingular to get a bluetooth phone that I could pair with my iPaq. Enjoyed the coverage and the company that I worked for subsidized my plan. So that was nice. When I left the company and took a new job, I started looking at the company that my wife's family and mine were using to call without pinging their minutes. So we moved to Verizon. I lucked into finding the i730 and have been hooked ever since. I am waiting on the i760... But will stick with Verizon because my plan would go through the roof otherwise.

Regards,

Kevin

Just got back from a tour of the North Carolina and Virginia mountains. The group I was with didn't have coverage that was as good as my Verizon. At one point we came upon an accident and the Sprint and Cingular people had no signal. I called 911. It is almost like the other carriers can tell you the few places that you will get a good signal, but Verizon can tell you the few places that you get a poor signal. For now I would pay more for Verizon and the better coverage where I need it.

Hmm. so far the votes are 2 to 1 that the service is more important than the device. Wonder what the carriers' marketing departments would have to say about that????
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

Friend Of i730s
    For me I coundn't switch carriers. I drive all over the US and VZW is the only company to have coverage everywhere. There are a few spots in idaho and wyoming that I don't get service but no one else does and I get service in alot of areas that no one else does. I do alot of hunting and camping and time and time again I'm the only one with service. So that's one point for VZW. The other thing is there customer service. While they have had me raging mad more than once it's the best customer service out there. I've never had to buy a new phone cause I dropped, threw, snapped, or took a swim with it in my pocket. They always find a way to get me a new phone even when it's my fault and they don't have to help me. They usaully charge me $50 bucks or something and send me out a replacement with out extending my contract. Now I know that VZW has their short commings but in the end their the lesser evil of all carriers.

We need another option: "I would consider switching if my employer who pays for my phone didn't have an exclusive contract with Verizon"

When choosing cell phone service your carrier should always be your primary decision. If you constantly have poor signal and dropped calls you're going to be unhappy, no matter how snazzy your phone is.

If you're lucky enough to have more than one solid carrier in your area, your next choice should be based on price and service.

After you've chosen a provider, then you choose a phone. It's the only way it makes any sense to me. The service is by far the most important--and most expensive--part of owning a cell phone.

I would flip from VZW in a minute after 18 years, if there were a better carrier.
    Brian
    Smart Phones for Dumb People

Quote Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
    I would flip from VZW in a minute after 18 years, if there were a better carrier.
    For clarification, when I started this thread, I was only try to determine whether you would switch carriers just to purchase a different device.

There's a lot of different reasons why one might choose one carrier over another. For example, coverage might be one reason; pricing might another; and available features (e.g., VCAST) might be another. I was focusing more on device versus carrier without getting into why you would choose one carrier over another.
    -Jay

For clarification, when I started this thread, I was only try to determine whether you would switch carriers just to purchase a different device.

There's a lot of different reasons why one might choose one carrier over another. For example, coverage might be one reason; pricing might another; and available features (e.g., VCAST) might be another. I was focusing more on device versus carrier without getting into why you would choose one carrier over another.
    The only problem is it has to be an "All else being equal" type question.

If Carrier 1 is equal in reliabilty and coverage to carrier 2. I would switch freely back and forth to get the device I want. Unfortunately the way this market works, it's not quite that easy. So this thread took the natural direction I would have anticipated.

- oh, quick edit. I will be switching to VZW from Sprint to get this device. But in my case I think I'm both upgrading hardware and service.

Personally, I would switch to a less feature rich carrier to get a better device. Eg. Lose VCast or Sprint Music Store to get a better device as long as I had the same level of cell coverage and a comparable price.

I had crapular for years...switched to VZW a year ago. It was an upgrade for in both areas as well. The 730 was both the best convereged phone on the market as well as VZW had the best service on the market. I have to concur with other folks...many many many times I have had service where the other people with other carriers didn't. At the end of the day, the first function of the phone is to make a phone call. Service matters...I would rather had excellent coverage on a phone and a second PDA then have an amazing device that, well like I said in another post, I had to walk outdoors to use, or that wouldn't even make a decent phone call then!
    John 3:16 is more than a sign between the goal posts.

Quote Originally Posted by onusigep View Post
    The only problem is it has to be an "All else being equal" type question.

If Carrier 1 is equal in reliabilty and coverage to carrier 2. I would switch freely back and forth to get the device I want. Unfortunately the way this market works, it's not quite that easy. So this thread took the natural direction I would have anticipated.

- oh, quick edit. I will be switching to VZW from Sprint to get this device. But in my case I think I'm both upgrading hardware and service.

Personally, I would switch to a less feature rich carrier to get a better device. Eg. Lose VCast or Sprint Music Store to get a better device as long as I had the same level of cell coverage and a comparable price.
    Ah, but not everything else is equal. So, what I'm trying to determine is with service NOT being equal, would you still switch carriers just to get a new device.

Guess I could have done the poll a little differently, like this:

What's the most important consideration for you in purchasing a PDA phone?

A. Quality of cellular service
    B. Pricing of calling and data plan
    C. The PDA phone device itself
    D. Other features offered by the carrier (e.g., VCast, etc.)

But I was trying to keep it simple.
    Last edited by iProb8; 05-29-2007 at 04:23 PM.
    -Jay

Ah, but not everything else is equal. So, what I'm trying to determine is with service NOT being equal, would you still switch carriers just to get a new device.

Guess I could have done the poll a little differently, like this:

What's the most important consideration for you in purchasing a PDA phone?

A. Quality of cellular service
    B. Pricing of calling and data plan
    C. The PDA phone device itself
    D. Other features offered by the carrier (e.g., VCast, etc.)

But I was trying to keep it simple.
    I think everyone knows what you were gunning for. It's just too hard of an item to qualify.

I guess for me it would go A, C, B, D.

Quote Originally Posted by onusigep View Post
    I think everyone knows what you were gunning for. It's just too hard of an item to qualify.

I guess for me it would go A, C, B, D.
    For me, A (coverage) definitely is most important and D (other features) definitely is least important. If the disparity in pricing isn't too great, I would choose carriers based on the device. However, pricing does become important at some point.
    -Jay

Forever Confused
    Being that I'm already paying the highest for service I would have to say it's ACBD for me.

Definitely all things are NOT equal... couldn't agree more. Mine would go A, B, C, D.
    John