+ Reply to Thread
    Redskins fan

One-handed usage on i760?

As a loyal devotee of the i730, I've gotten used to using one hand to access the keyboard, which is handy not only for typing emails but (almost more importantly) also for looking up contacts to dial quickly. I'm concerned this might be much more difficult with the side-sliding keyboard. What are other people's experiences using side-sliders with one hand? Thanks.

Paul

I switched from the I730 to the XV6700. I liked the one handed typing also but with the XV6700 you have a sliding keyboard on the side. I got used to it. It is almost impossible to use one hand though.

Once you get used to using the side keyboard though it is faster I think. The best part of the new I760 will be the keyboard on the front to dial numbers with. If the XV6800 had this, it would be difficult to go back to Samsung.

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    Contact lookup my work better in WM6. Lets hope.

I like the way it worked on my i600 "Type Down" as you type the letters or number the list would get smaller.....

Epic Geek
    Along this same line of thought, does anyone know if the numeric pad supports any text (t9 or other method) entry when the slider is closed in addition to the numeric functionality? Sometimes it would be nice for a one handed quick 1 or 2 word reply to a txt msg or email received without sliding the device open.

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by depressedVZWuse View Post
    Along this same line of thought, does anyone know if the numeric pad supports any text (t9 or other method) entry when the slider is closed in addition to the numeric functionality? Sometimes it would be nice for a one handed quick 1 or 2 word reply to a txt msg or email received without sliding the device open.
    Yes It does.

Quote Originally Posted by ryncppr View Post
    I switched from the I730 to the XV6700. I liked the one handed typing also but with the XV6700 you have a sliding keyboard on the side. I got used to it. It is almost impossible to use one hand though.

Once you get used to using the side keyboard though it is faster I think. The best part of the new I760 will be the keyboard on the front to dial numbers with. If the XV6800 had this, it would be difficult to go back to Samsung.
    I assume that the screen automatically switches from portrait to landscape when you slide the keyboard out.
    How long does the OS take to switch back and forth?
    I can see that being a bottle neck.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Orwig View Post
    I assume that the screen automatically switches from portrait to landscape when you slide the keyboard out.
    How long does the OS take to switch back and forth?
    I can see that being a bottle neck.
    Well when AKU 2.2 was installed there was quite an annoying delay. The nice thing about the XV6700 is that it is a hackers dream. I am currently running a AKU 3.5 version on my phone and there is actually no delay. I am assuming with WM6 there will also be no delay. As soon as you slide the phone open, the display switches.

I love the way the Treo 700wx works with one-handed functionality. Does anyone have any comparison information here?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveM View Post
    I love the way the Treo 700wx works with one-handed functionality. Does anyone have any comparison information here?
    The i760 isn't out yet, we don't know.

Michael..thanks, was just hoping to find out some news early on the functionality.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_A_K View Post
    Contact lookup my work better in WM6. Lets hope.

I like the way it worked on my i600 "Type Down" as you type the letters or number the list would get smaller.....
    MS voice software clears that up for me...I just tell the phone to call someone or lookup someone and it is done for me...the two handed will an adjustment, but the number pad on the front should solve most of the issues that I do one handedness with.
    John 3:16 is more than a sign between the goal posts.

Just curious, but...

Quote Originally Posted by yawn View Post
    ... but the number pad on the front should solve most of the issues that I do one handedness with.
    I don't think that you've ever mentioned precisely what you use the one-handed functionality for, so I'm curious as to why it is such a necessity.

Admittedly, I am not a heavy business-type user, so I lack insight into why one-handed use might be important to that sort of user. My assumption is that it has something to do with text messaging?

In my case, I rarely dial using a keypad, since I use voice dialing to either access my phonebook, or to dial numbers that aren't in my phonebook, and I don't use text messaging very much (I much prefer voice messaging). And I refuse to use my phone while driving (due to safety concerns) except via the Bluetooth/voice controls. So, you can see why one-handed use isn't hugely important to me.

Having said all that, one of my pet peeves with many other horizontal sliders (especially ones that didn't include a stylus/touchscreen) has been the fact that you couldn't do any sort of data input (or dialing) unless you opened the slider. The i760 offers a degree of flexibility that really appeals to me, even though I don't anticipate that I will use voice controls/Bluetooth any less than I have with other phones. But I admit that I really like the ability to quickly dial a number without having to open the slider.

What are you guys watching on it, so that you can only use one hand?