+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Redskins fan
    Join Date
    06-05-2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    213

    One-handed usage on i760?

    As a loyal devotee of the i730, I've gotten used to using one hand to access the keyboard, which is handy not only for typing emails but (almost more importantly) also for looking up contacts to dial quickly. I'm concerned this might be much more difficult with the side-sliding keyboard. What are other people's experiences using side-sliders with one hand? Thanks.

    Paul

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    04-08-2007
    Posts
    177
    I switched from the I730 to the XV6700. I liked the one handed typing also but with the XV6700 you have a sliding keyboard on the side. I got used to it. It is almost impossible to use one hand though.

    Once you get used to using the side keyboard though it is faster I think. The best part of the new I760 will be the keyboard on the front to dial numbers with. If the XV6800 had this, it would be difficult to go back to Samsung.

  3. #3
    Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-27-2003
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    5,384
    Contact lookup my work better in WM6. Lets hope.

    I like the way it worked on my i600 "Type Down" as you type the letters or number the list would get smaller.....

  4. #4
    Epic Geek
    Join Date
    09-20-2005
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    492
    Along this same line of thought, does anyone know if the numeric pad supports any text (t9 or other method) entry when the slider is closed in addition to the numeric functionality? Sometimes it would be nice for a one handed quick 1 or 2 word reply to a txt msg or email received without sliding the device open.

  5. #5
    Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-27-2003
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    5,384
    Quote Originally Posted by depressedVZWuse View Post
    Along this same line of thought, does anyone know if the numeric pad supports any text (t9 or other method) entry when the slider is closed in addition to the numeric functionality? Sometimes it would be nice for a one handed quick 1 or 2 word reply to a txt msg or email received without sliding the device open.
    Yes It does.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    09-03-2005
    Posts
    840
    Quote Originally Posted by ryncppr View Post
    I switched from the I730 to the XV6700. I liked the one handed typing also but with the XV6700 you have a sliding keyboard on the side. I got used to it. It is almost impossible to use one hand though.

    Once you get used to using the side keyboard though it is faster I think. The best part of the new I760 will be the keyboard on the front to dial numbers with. If the XV6800 had this, it would be difficult to go back to Samsung.
    I assume that the screen automatically switches from portrait to landscape when you slide the keyboard out.
    How long does the OS take to switch back and forth?
    I can see that being a bottle neck.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    04-08-2007
    Posts
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Orwig View Post
    I assume that the screen automatically switches from portrait to landscape when you slide the keyboard out.
    How long does the OS take to switch back and forth?
    I can see that being a bottle neck.
    Well when AKU 2.2 was installed there was quite an annoying delay. The nice thing about the XV6700 is that it is a hackers dream. I am currently running a AKU 3.5 version on my phone and there is actually no delay. I am assuming with WM6 there will also be no delay. As soon as you slide the phone open, the display switches.

  8. #8
    Registered User DaveM's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-02-2006
    Posts
    149
    I love the way the Treo 700wx works with one-handed functionality. Does anyone have any comparison information here?

  9. #9
    Registered User mrailing's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-19-2004
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    8,410
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveM View Post
    I love the way the Treo 700wx works with one-handed functionality. Does anyone have any comparison information here?
    The i760 isn't out yet, we don't know.

  10. #10
    Registered User DaveM's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-02-2006
    Posts
    149
    Michael..thanks, was just hoping to find out some news early on the functionality.

  11. #11
    Registered User yawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-06-2006
    Location
    Left Coast
    Posts
    292
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_A_K View Post
    Contact lookup my work better in WM6. Lets hope.

    I like the way it worked on my i600 "Type Down" as you type the letters or number the list would get smaller.....
    MS voice software clears that up for me...I just tell the phone to call someone or lookup someone and it is done for me...the two handed will an adjustment, but the number pad on the front should solve most of the issues that I do one handedness with.
    John 3:16 is more than a sign between the goal posts.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    02-09-2007
    Location
    Hampton Roads (SE Virginia)
    Posts
    241

    Just curious, but...

    Quote Originally Posted by yawn View Post
    ... but the number pad on the front should solve most of the issues that I do one handedness with.
    I don't think that you've ever mentioned precisely what you use the one-handed functionality for, so I'm curious as to why it is such a necessity.

    Admittedly, I am not a heavy business-type user, so I lack insight into why one-handed use might be important to that sort of user. My assumption is that it has something to do with text messaging?

    In my case, I rarely dial using a keypad, since I use voice dialing to either access my phonebook, or to dial numbers that aren't in my phonebook, and I don't use text messaging very much (I much prefer voice messaging). And I refuse to use my phone while driving (due to safety concerns) except via the Bluetooth/voice controls. So, you can see why one-handed use isn't hugely important to me.

    Having said all that, one of my pet peeves with many other horizontal sliders (especially ones that didn't include a stylus/touchscreen) has been the fact that you couldn't do any sort of data input (or dialing) unless you opened the slider. The i760 offers a degree of flexibility that really appeals to me, even though I don't anticipate that I will use voice controls/Bluetooth any less than I have with other phones. But I admit that I really like the ability to quickly dial a number without having to open the slider.

  13. #13
    Registered User TheBundo's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-06-2006
    Posts
    581
    What are you guys watching on it, so that you can only use one hand?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts