+ Reply to Thread

The state of the i-760 Touchscreen

Ok folks--no one has any idea who I am, but I've been an unregistered lurker here for almost 3 years, lol. My fist PDA phone was an Audiovox Thera and for some reason I still wanted to keep using them. Anyway, I have a 6700 now and my biggest problem is no stylus/operation with fingers. The touchscreen I have now needs recalibration about every 4 days due to my fattish fingers. Hence my lusty desires for the front keypad of the 760. I really don't understand the folks that don't want it...
    Anyhoo, my point is this even though we have the QWERTY slide-out, a numeric keypad, and a stylus, I will still inevitably use my fingers on the touchscreen for my interface. Which the i-Phone and new HTC Touch actually encourage.

So, that being said, has the sensitivity and accuracy of the touchscreen in the 760 been improved, or is it the same technology in the unresponsive, sad lil' screen of my 6700? And in follow-up is it the same technology that was also in my Thera?

First thread, first post, so be gentle MRailing and don't lock it til there are at least a coupla responses...

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    It goes without saying that we wont know until it is out.
    However, my guess is that it will be the same as the current i730.

The next release of devices will be more geared toward the touch with finger thingy.......

What do you use the touch screen for?
    I have a number of applications that there is no way you can do it without a stylus. It doesn't matter if it is an i-phone or whatever. The screen is too busy to use a fat finger.

If you are simply talking about the phone numeric pad, then the one on the screen on my i730 does that so it should work fine on the i760.

If you need to recalibrate the screen constantly, you have a bad unit.

Well, mostly I'm talking about dialing on the screen, which will be a moot issue on the 760 anyway. But I also use my finger/edge-of-nail to quickly punch things like contacts, links, etc. And I use a Wacom tablet on my desktop, and their new touchscreen/monitor is EXTREMELY sensitive---too size, pressure, etc. Now I don't want to pay $2400 for the Wacom technology to be in my phone, but it would seem like things would have progressed in accuracy/responsiveness in the touchscreens since my Thera. But of course we are supposed to have flying cars and a moonbase by now too, so....

Oh, and it's not constantly recalibrating just once a week or so, but i feel that this is due completely to me using my finger and the phone trying to 'recalibrate' on the fly as to what it thinks is a pointy stylus. BTW, why not just stay calibrated why 'learn' as it goes?
    Last edited by Rowdyrod; 06-18-2007 at 11:56 AM.

I've never seen any device continually 'learn' touch screen calibration. If they drift, they are bad.
    Typically, if a resistive touch sceen drifts (as used on a pda) it is due to a weak contact driving the resistive screen OR something like a screen protector wedged under the bezel looking like a touch off in a corner.
    Last edited by Wayne Orwig; 06-18-2007 at 05:10 PM.

Ah, ok, I just assumed it was tryin' to learn my input method in order to be more accurate, similar to the old Grafiti program. However, the drift theory is pretty interesting. BTW I don't use a screen protector. Or pocket protector either for that matter.

But to clear things up, we don't have any folks that know anything regarding the actual behind-the-scenes hardware that is used for these touchscreens, and/or the evolution of this technology from the original Palm til now?

Oppressed Wireless User Geckotek's Avatar
    no, nobody knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Geckotek View Post
    no, nobody knows.
    I suspect that equus knows. The question is whether he will tell us.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

Here's what I actually think; since Samsung has failed to mention anything specific about the touchscreen, there are no specific technology improvements over previous/other WM devices.

If anyone has an opinion, it would be the guy that went to the Upward Mobility event and held the phone in his hand. Who was that...dangerous?

Here's what I actually think; since Samsung has failed to mention anything specific about the touchscreen, there are no specific technology improvements over previous/other WM devices.

If anyone has an opinion, it would be the guy that went to the Upward Mobility event and held the phone in his hand. Who was that...dangerous?
    Wait I know, look at post number 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_A_K View Post
    Wait I know, look at post number 2.

Ouch!........that herts..........

Here is informaiton on the touch screen for the i760......

FOXNews.com - Sony Shows Off Paper-Thin, Bendable Video Display - Technology News | News On Technology
    Last edited by Mark_A_K; 06-19-2007 at 12:01 PM.

You learned nothing from your first head crackin', so maybe thissin' will learn ya'!

Actually As far as futuristic tech goes I agree that the next, next gen stuff will be projection based

Wow! It seems that the HTC touch is changing the touchscreen market faster than we thought. I really thought this phone would be available around this time next year, but it's available now!(in Europe)

Pick a carrier, any carrier: HTC Touch sees wide German release - Engadget Mobile

This type of screen would rock if it was the i-760, but if ifs and buts, were candy and nuts, etc. etc.

Epic Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowdyrod View Post
    This type of screen would rock if it was the i-760, but if ifs and buts, were candy and nuts, etc. etc.
    I really can't live with a no keyboard device though.

Me either but I'm wanting my cake and eat it too; a multi-touch screen like the HTC Touch and a qwerty and a numeric keypad

And while we're at it, GPS, AM & FM radio, and why not two projectos on board? One for the 'laser' keyboard and the other for display

Epic Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowdyrod View Post
    why not two projectos on board? One for the 'laser' keyboard and the other for display
    I'd love for my PDA to have a "virtual keyboard" embedded.

I actually own one of these, it is so bad ass it isn't even funny.

The pairing is interesting, but you can't beat it for that wow factor when you break it out in front of people.

I-Tech's Virtual Laser Keyboard for BlackBerry, MAC, PDA's and Smartphones.

This will never see the light of day if cell service providers continue to lock down technology.
    Can you imagine calling VZW tech support on this......lol....

Quote Originally Posted by iProb8 View Post
    I suspect that equus knows. The question is whether he will tell us.
    Similar screen to i730, but a little brighter. Its definitely lot lighter than the i730. Touch and Tap response was very good and did not notice any glitches. Rumor mill has it that the next-gen 780 series will get the touch-screen similar to iPhone technology. Synaptics is providing that technology. PLEASE DONOT START A THREAD ON I780 AS IT WILL NOT HIT THE STREETS TILL 2009 OR LATER.
    Funny it worked.....the last time! Now I am not sure what was working before they put a hole in my head !

Quote Originally Posted by depressedVZWuse View Post
    I'd love for my PDA to have a "virtual keyboard" embedded.

I actually own one of these, it is so bad ass it isn't even funny.

The pairing is interesting, but you can't beat it for that wow factor when you break it out in front of people.

I-Tech's Virtual Laser Keyboard for BlackBerry, MAC, PDA's and Smartphones.
    That's very cool! I had just been thinking about a virtual keyboard the other day. Thanks for pointing out this neat device.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)