+ Reply to Thread

Thread: i760 vs Q9

i760 vs Q9

What are the drawbacks with a Q vs a i760? Could I install instant messenging or GPS software on a Q like I can on an i730? Looks like the Q9 is going to be out first, and I am sick of waiting.

The first thing I can think of is the lack of a touchscreen but I will say I am tempted by the q9m for its size.

I'm not sure of the smartphone GPS market but I know you can run some IM software on the smartphone platform now known as WM6 Standard.

since I am already addicted to one forum, do you mind sharing the best release date info you have on the q9m?

you can do pretty much everything on a q - or any smartphone os handset for that matter that you can on an i760 (or ppc). you just dont have a touch screen and no wifi. gps works great on my q...

So the q9 has more memory, has a faster processor, is smaller, and is coming out before the i760? Wow, guess my thoughts of having a i760 are going by the wayside.

I have heard July 24

snowcraig,

You said:
    So the q9 has more memory, has a faster processor, is smaller, and is coming out before the i760? Wow, guess my thoughts of having a i760 are going by the wayside.

To clarify:

MOT Q q9
    TI OMAP 2420 CPU @325MHz
    2 Megapixel camera
    96MB RAM
    256MB ROM

Sammy SCH-760
    Samsung SC32442 CPU @400MHz
    64MB RAM
    128MB ROM

So, the Q q9 has a slower CPU than the i760, is not a PPC (no touchscreen), has a smaller display and does not run WM6 Pro. It does, however, have more RAM (but still not enough), more ROM (less critical but useful nonetheless), and a cam with a higher pixel count (lens quality comparison unknown).

The Q q9 isn't really a rocket ship but should hold its own. Still, it's not a real alternative for the i760, x6800, or Kaiser crowd.

If MOT had a clue, it would look to Symbol Tech (acquired last fall) to design a line of truly advanced (VGA graphics, GPS, high build quality, etc.) PPCs, take share from HTC, and reclaim leadership and profitability.

Believe 3mm road warriors (say, 1.25% of ~236mm US subscribers) would pay $1,000+ for state-of-the-art devices.

Wake up, MOT!

--BAM
    Last edited by KBAM; 07-21-2007 at 09:43 PM.

MobileBurn's review states it only has a 1.3 MP camera.

Motorola Q9m Live Photo Gallery (MobileBurn)

I am not a fan of the SmartPhone / WindowsStandard devices, but this looks to be a pretty good phone. I really like the scroll wheel.
    i760 VZW

i had not seen that mobileburn review - thanks for the link wallst. physically the q9m looks like it is going to be the slickest handset out there, it is just unfortunate that they did not beef up some of internals. i like how they have made it easier to customize it.
    it is definitely not an exact alternative to the i760 mainly because wm6 standard just cannot do everything that wm6 pro does and of course the form factors are different but the q does everyhting i need it to do...

Epic Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by Miata492 View Post
    i had not seen that mobileburn review - thanks for the link wallst. physically the q9m looks like it is going to be the slickest handset out there, it is just unfortunate that they did not beef up some of internals. i like how they have made it easier to customize it.
    it is definitely not an exact alternative to the i760 mainly because wm6 standard just cannot do everything that wm6 pro does and of course the form factors are different but the q does everyhting i need it to do...
    They have really closed the gap between the SP (Wm6 std), and PPPC (WM6 pro) feature set. It appears that outside of the obvious touchscreen differences a majority of the differences are aimed at the true power user and IT people as opposed to a mainstream audience.

I am waffling as my Treo 700w has become flaky and the memory constraints are really irritating me at this point, but I can't help looking at the i760 form factor and wanting to at least take a look / feel at it before I invest several hundred dollars in another device that I may or may not be happy with.

I had an original Q for a couple weeks and the phone portion of the device was really awesome, but the lack of customization options without the touchscreen and the sound profile limitations, (the profiles didnt work with some apps, dinged when the profile said they should have vibrated etc) really killed it for me.

I will probably get a good look at the Q9 when it comes out because the Q is one of our faster growing device segments at my company.

We have ~ 9,000 devices and a majority of those are RIM, followed by various Treo flavors, followed by the Q.

I believe that the native ability to view office apps will push it past the Treo eventually unless there is something big in the 800 series coming out. Palm has been selling the same device pretty much since the beginning.

I got to play with a 750 and a 755 recently and they really are a SSDD device.

I am looking forward to the Q9 as any movement forward is good, but what I really want is some of that new killer hardware floating around over in Korea right now, thats where we need to go but the carriers are stopping us.

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KBAM View Post
    Believe 3mm road warriors (say, 1.25% of ~236mm US subscribers) would pay $1,000+ for state-of-the-art devices.
    --BAM
    Missing key point......"That aren't crippled"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by depressedVZWuse View Post
    They have really closed the gap between the SP (Wm6 std), and PPPC (WM6 pro) feature set. It appears that outside of the obvious touchscreen differences a majority of the differences are aimed at the true power user and IT people as opposed to a mainstream audience.

I am waffling as my Treo 700w has become flaky and the memory constraints are really irritating me at this point, but I can't help looking at the i760 form factor and wanting to at least take a look / feel at it before I invest several hundred dollars in another device that I may or may not be happy with.

I had an original Q for a couple weeks and the phone portion of the device was really awesome, but the lack of customization options without the touchscreen and the sound profile limitations, (the profiles didnt work with some apps, dinged when the profile said they should have vibrated etc) really killed it for me.

I will probably get a good look at the Q9 when it comes out because the Q is one of our faster growing device segments at my company.

We have ~ 9,000 devices and a majority of those are RIM, followed by various Treo flavors, followed by the Q.

I believe that the native ability to view office apps will push it past the Treo eventually unless there is something big in the 800 series coming out. Palm has been selling the same device pretty much since the beginning.

I got to play with a 750 and a 755 recently and they really are a SSDD device.

I am looking forward to the Q9 as any movement forward is good, but what I really want is some of that new killer hardware floating around over in Korea right now, thats where we need to go but the carriers are stopping us.
    Remember, by default, the office applications on window mobile standard are read-only. As per the review, it appears Motorola included a third-pary application to facilitate the read-write capabilities.
    i760 VZW

It has a 2 MP camera. I have read multiple reviews that confirm this.

Quote Originally Posted by wallst View Post
    Remember, by default, the office applications on window mobile standard are read-only. As per the review, it appears Motorola included a third-pary application to facilitate the read-write capabilities.
    They are not read-only in Standard, which is WM6. WM6 comes with Mobile Office, which can edit documents. In WM5, it was read-only.

Quote Originally Posted by snowcraig View Post
    It has a 2 MP camera. I have read multiple reviews that confirm this.
    Quote Originally Posted by onlydarksets View Post
    They are not read-only in Standard, which is WM6. WM6 comes with Mobile Office, which can edit documents. In WM5, it was read-only.
    Then that review has a few mistakes ...
    i760 VZW

Epic Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by wallst View Post
    Here are some of the WM and Office app differences in std and pro from a post I made in another thread.

the q9m has a 1.3mp camera, it is releasing August 22nd for B2B on their website and 29th in stores. my mom works as a customer service rep so i have to wait like 2 more weeks after the store release date because verizon is a bunch of bastards and make their employees get phones LAST.

from playing with a couple wm6 standard smartphones, i have concluded that wm6 smartphones are MUCH quicker than the professional touchscreen edition. when the q9m comes out, ill play with it and if its as quick as the rest of the smartphones, i'm definitely jumping ship on the i760 cuz its smaller, quicker, dont have to slide open crap when you wanna type and wait for the screen to switch from normal to landscape, and i think i can live without the touchscreen. wifi isnt a prob cuz i have evdo everywhere. wm6 pro just seems to be slower than standard. im all for quickness and form factor on the q9.

...That Funky Monkey brassMONKEY's Avatar
    wtfmateim65, what are you basing the WM6 PDA v Smartphone comparison on? -There arent any WM6 PDA's out yet to compare to your testing of the WM6 Smartphones?

I'm definitely going with the 760 for me, but would consider the Q for employees/wife if is more user friendly (we dont employ a "tech" department), faster and will pacify people's iPhone lust (slicker interface).

im sorry i meant wm6 smartphones are MUCH quicker than WM5 pro with touchscreen. all the wm6 smartphones BLOW AWAY my xv6700 aku3.5 in terms of speed and quickness, and i think when i played with wm5 smartphones they were faster than the wm5 pro touchscreen.

i really want the i760 buts its gonna be another wholemonth before it probably releases, plus theres no guarantees that its wm6 professional is faster than the already LIGHTNING quick wm6 smartphone edition. if worst comes to worst and i hate the q, ill sell it or give it to my sister and buy an i760 when it comes out haha

I'd be convergered if only ... wodin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brassMONKEY View Post
    -There arent any WM6 PDA's out yet to compare to your testing of the WM6 Smartphones?
    I beg to differ, I've been carrying a WM6 PDA for nearly a month now. And I LOVE it!

"I think what you meant to say was There arent any WM6 PDA's out for VZW yet"
    Don't mess with old futs...age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! B. S. and brilliance only come with age and experience!