+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Whats the 1st thing you are going to do when you get home with the i760?

I'm wondering what everyone will do when they get the i760 home? I'm going to install my daily used programs, MemMaid, a few games, sync contacts/calender (...of course). Speed dial and maybe a ringtones for the ex-girlfriends I dont want to argue with..

I'm fairly new to the i730 and the PPC world and maybe I should have said "What should I do when I get my i760?"

Epic Geek
    I'm going to take mine out of the box and sit there and just ogle it for a little while.

Sort of like the Gollum scene from LOTR where he gets the ring back and sits there turning it over in his hands. "ahhhhhh myyy precccccioouusss."

LOL!

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    I suggest not loading any applications on the device and use it for a few days to get to know how the unit works out of the box.

Then when you start installing stuff you will be able to determine if the sw has degraded the stability of the device.

I can just see it now people loading all sorts of crap on the device and then complaining that the device is a bad device...........

That totally takes me back to the pre-release rumours thread for the Kyocera 7135 - which was right around the time of the LOTR movies - that's what they called that phone in practically every post - "my precious" - there were ringtones and wav files etc. Here's a thread that mentions it right in the thread title - Broken data port on My Precious

Simple:

CHARGE IT

nuff said.

And the 2nd thing...

ACTIVATE IT

And the 3rd thing...

Call your mother. She misses you.

that's good advice!

By the time it is released, call the nurse and have her bring me a bottle of Geritol.

Back it up so when I screw it up I can start over

Then add some new apps and back it up

Quote Originally Posted by cmckean View Post
    Then add some new apps and back it up
    years ago (2003-ish?) i had a PDA which, if your battery went dead, caused you to lose *all* information on your PDA. once you charged it, it came back up to the default hard drive image. you could, of course, back up your PDA to your PC and restore a particular configuration. but overall, i found the need to maintain a charged battery very unpractical.

is this a limitation with PDA phones? or have they figured out how to write to a stable memory source so that if your battery goes dry, you don't lose everything you've saved?

i take it from the comment above that you can save an image of your PDA phone to restore if things get too messed up.

That was remedied with the release of WM5. It stores your data in flash-type memory that does not loose it's data without power.

Quote Originally Posted by allgoodpeople View Post
    years ago (2003-ish?) i had a PDA which, if your battery went dead, caused you to lose *all* information on your PDA. once you charged it, it came back up to the default hard drive image. you could, of course, back up your PDA to your PC and restore a particular configuration. but overall, i found the need to maintain a charged battery very unpractical.

is this a limitation with PDA phones? or have they figured out how to write to a stable memory source so that if your battery goes dry, you don't lose everything you've saved?

i take it from the comment above that you can save an image of your PDA phone to restore if things get too messed up.
    For Pocket PCs, the advent of Windows Mobile 5 OS cured that.

I had two windows CE pdas befor the i730. It sounds like your backup battery went dead. The backup battery would keep your device "alive" enough to store your info until you charged it. If you didn't charge it for a month or more (depending on the battery), the backup battery would drain and then you would lose all your info. Again, it all depended on the type of pda as well. My Ipaq backup battery lasted 1000 times longer than my old Cassiopeia E-250...Now the data is saved to flash memory that doesn't require power.
    Looking forward to http://www.whoneedsaniphone.com/ talk about the best of both worlds...

Oppressed Wireless User Geckotek's Avatar
    I'm going to hug it, and squeeze it, and hug it, and kiss it, and love it, and....

And then there's bro dangerous' first order of business:

Break it.

--BAM

Epic Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by Geckotek View Post
    I'm going to hug it, and squeeze it, and hug it, and kiss it, and love it, and....
    And call it George?

Oppressed Wireless User Geckotek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by depressedVZWuse View Post
    And call it George?
    LOL..Got it!