+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

In anticipation: Freedom Mini GPS Receiver - AWESOME!

In anticipation of our lovely device coming out sometime before Halloween (!), here is an accessory you might want to get now:

Freedom mini GPS Bluetooth receiver

I saw it over on the HTC 6800 forum, and Chris from Freedom Mini is offering a great deal on this. It is the smallest external gps I have seen. And after a day of using it, it simply rocks. Price will go up by the time the i760 comes out, so you might want to snag one now.
    Last edited by equus; 08-21-2007 at 11:54 PM.

This looks pretty slick, I think I will need to pick up this or another small GPS receiver soon.
    Xbox Live PdaPhoneHome.com Leaderboard: Add your gamertag to the new community leaderboard!

Smartphone and Pocket PC Magazine 2007 Annual Best of Software Awards Judge.

After using this for three days, I LOVE it. I never forget it anymore, it is quick to lock on to satellites and is more accurate than what I used before.

Can't say enough good about it!!!!

I just placed the order for one. Based on the ship date and time I'll likely have it right around the time the 760 is out

Same here. Probably by my birthday in October. :-p

Help, what am I doing wrong. I paired it with my i760 and the only service it finds is 'Active Sync'. No Serial Port service. Plus, I only see the Active Sync service on initial pairing. Once I refresh, the service goes away and nothing comes back up. The only way i can add a New Outgoing Port is when I select Active Sync as a service but i can't get it to work.

Plus I notice when I turn it in the Orange light stays solid. I just went for a walk in NYC to my local ATM (about 6 blocks) and it never changed from a solid orange. I tried turning it on & off, no dice. Do I have a defective unit?

I would delete the partership and start over. I dont recall exactly how I did mine but it was not hard to do. My port is set at COM2 and the Secure Connection box is checked. Do not set anything at the "External GPS" at the Systems tab.
    I also have a solid Orange light from time to time. It takes a while to find Satellites. But when the unit is functioning it blinks Blue, Orange, Purple. (purple is the blue/orange together).

The folks at Freedom are very helpful and I'd contact them without hesitation.
    www.861.info
    www.freedomtofascism.com

JAP
    What software ae you guy's using?

Quote Originally Posted by JAP View Post
    What software ae you guy's using?
    WLS and Google (both are free)
    www.861.info
    www.freedomtofascism.com

So If i buy this mini GPS unit, I do NOT need data package? I can just run google maps using this mini gps blue tooth? Is that the concept?

Quote Originally Posted by gubalow View Post
    So If i buy this mini GPS unit, I do NOT need data package? I can just run google maps using this mini gps blue tooth? Is that the concept?
    Bluetooth GPS has nothing to do with DATA. You will however need DATA to use it with Google maps, because Google maps uses DATA to get the map info and it uses the GPS for live tracking info.

Typically GPS programs (TomTom, iGO, etc.) do not use DATA. Although, some have advanced extra features such as live traffic that would infact use DATA.

Thanks botond-

So if I can buy/download software for my PDA, and buy the gps unit, I could run it WITHOUT buying data package right?

(Assuming I dont use all those extra functions such as live traffic, google maps etc...)?

Thanks botond-

So if I can buy/download software for my PDA, and buy the gps unit, I could run it WITHOUT buying data package right?

(Assuming I dont use all those extra functions such as live traffic, google maps etc...)?
    That is correct.

Finally!!!
    I tried to pair it up with a BT GPS receiver today and I too just see the ActiveSync service. Could someone please confirm that they see the SPP slave service when they pair up the receiver. THe BT receiver works wine with a WM6 LG device so no issues with the receiver.

Yep.

You might want to go a la carte for data to get traffic from the software you purchase. Just about all of the major packages have some form of subscription service to access traffic data.

I got mine working by loosely following instructions on other threads in this forum.

1. Discovered device. Left ActiveSync alone.
    2. Added port for GPS under ports tab (I chose 2)
    3. Under "External GPS" in settings I added port three under Programs and port two under hardware.
    4. I chose port three in Windows Live Search for my GPS.

I think that's it.

I took mine for a walk around the building. It seemed to lock on to satellites quickly and was pretty accurate. WLS wasn't good about showing which direction I was heading but I suspect that's because I was traveling at such a slow rate.

Finally!!!
    Thanks for the tips ethergnat, it seems to work fine this way but its odd why it would show up as Activesync profile on i760 since the only profile supported by the receiver is SPP. This phone seems to have multiple issues with BT like the infamous multi-device issue. I also can't seem to get Voice Command to listen on a Moto H500 headset with this phone....

Yeah this seems to be a common bug that is coming up on the i760 and I have not seen a similar issue on any other device. I went through this issue with some other people on another forum and if you just carrying on with pairing it and setting up the COM ports it still works.

Very strange bug though and at least some i760's are not effected (though so far it seems like quite a few are).

Just ordered my Freedom Mini GPS. Should arrive Saturday or Monday. Very excited!

Any idea how much data we're streaming with WLS or GoogleMaps? Will we be banging up against Verizon's "unlimited" limit?

BTW I can only seem to get the mini to work with WLS. I must be missing a Google setting. Any ideas? Thanx

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast