+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: i760 vs iPhone

...That Funky Monkey brassMONKEY's Avatar

i760 vs iPhone

Since June, I have continued to take heat from all my iPhone slingin' buddies on why Job's little creation is far superior to ANY other pda/smartphone.

So, with the imminent i760 release, I thought it might be a good idea to take a look at the two devices...

The major iPhone features and selling points are: user interface, form factor, visual voicemail, safari web browser, media device with considerable storage, push email, screen size, etc.

Here's how the i760 stacks up...

After getting destroyed in user interface and form factor (size), the i760 holds it's own or wins in every area (with some help from add on software).

Visual Voicemail: -add "callwave" for not only visual voicemail but to receive a text readout email of the voicemail message

Safari-type browsing experience: -add "opera mobile" for a full browsing and iPhone like zooming.

4GB/8GB media: With the recent release of the 6GB Micro SD card, the i760 can hold its own, plus i760 memory is removable. -I'd add TCMP and orb/slingbox to complete your media experience.

Screen size/email/SMS: Push

Network: at&t's EDGE is no match for VZW's EvDO

So, IMHO, the i760 (with help from a few free apps) kills!

iPhone SPECS
    Processor:iPhone: 620 MHz SAMSUNG ARM
    Display: iPhone: 3.5-inch (diagonal) widescreen multi-touch display, 480-by-320-pixel resolution at 160 dpi. Support for display of multiple languages and characters simultaneously
    RAM/ROM: Not officially listed, but speculated at 256/??

i760 SPECS
    Processor: XScale PXA 27x (Bulverde) 520mHz (why not use the same one they built for apple?)
    Display: 240 x 320 Pixel; 2.8 diagonal inches
    RAm/ROM: 64/128 flash
    Last edited by brassMONKEY; 09-04-2007 at 12:51 AM.

Converged and Redeemed
    Since I have both an i730 and an iPhone, I can probably speak to this thread accurately.

I would concur with what brassMONKEY stated. But, there are some additional areas of comparison that need to be considered:
    Battery life -
    i730 - this is a consideration in EVERYTHING you do. Battery life is measured in hours and minutes, and you carry an extra battery to avoid problems.
    iPhone - the battery is hardwired to the phone, and is not consumer-changeable. However, it goes and goes and goes. The life of the battery is measured in days, not minutes. I re-charge each night out of habit, rather than necessity. Comments "in the wild" about short battery life are written by people coming to the iPhone from a regular cell phone, which obviously has far longer-lasting charge. The mere form factor and capabilities of the iPhone and all pda phones are in a different category.

Resetting -
    i730 - out of the box, with no 3rd party software, the i730 is pretty stable. But, that's the rub. To be fully functional, all pda phones pretty much demand the addition of 3rd party software. And each additional program adds to the soup of complications that can and WILL cause instability. I have had to hard-reset my i730 on numerous occassions, and soft-resetting became nearly a daily activity, sometimes multiple times a day.
    iPhone - out of the box is it. There are no 3rd party software additions, unless you hack the iPhone (which is relatively simple to do, but that is a topic for a different discussion.) The iPhone is rock solid in stability. No resets needed, or even thought of.

Freeze ups -
    i730 - due, I am sure, to the necessary addition of 3rd party software, the i730 can and will freeze up, and often you will have no idea that it is locked tight. Many times I will discover hours later that the i730 has been totally locked for quite a while, causing me to miss calls simply because the phone was essentially dead.
    iPhone - I have never once experienced any lock ups or freezes.

3rd Party Software -
    i730 - there are thousands and thousands of programs readily available to install on the i730 (and any pocket pc). There is nearly no limit to the customization available to make your phone uniquely suited to you. This includes, as was mentioned, a mobile version of the Slingplayer. The i730 is a hands-down winner in this category.
    iPhone - unless you hack your iPhone, there are no 3rd party programs that could even be installed. That being said, much of the "essential" programs that I needed to install on the i730 are not needed on the iPhone, because it already has an equivalent, or does not need it.

What do I miss on the iPhone?
    • Slingplayer
    • Wireless syncing
    • Syncing of tasks and notes
    • Cut & paste
    • Editing Word documents

What do I like on the iPhone?
    • Rock solid reliability
    • Outstanding display and user interface
    • Visual voicemail
    • Text messaging format
    • Camera
    • Best mp3 player I have seen. iPod on steroids.
    • Size - extremely thin - "very pocketable"

That's just a quick little analysis. Frankly, there are advantages to both phones. If you live to tweak your phone, and constantly want to change things around, you will not like the iPhone. But, I have found the iPhone does what I need and want, and here is the key - it serves ME, rather than me serving it. I can count on it. If I want a hobby, this is not the phone to have. If I want stability and reliability, this is the ticket.
    Pastor Tim Satryan
    Communicating the Good News!
    Visit my website - WILMINGTON first assembly of God

Quote Originally Posted by tsatryan View Post
    Since I have both an i730 and an iPhone, I can probably speak to this thread accurately.

I would concur with what brassMONKEY stated. But, there are some additional areas of comparison that need to be considered:
    Battery life -
    i730 - this is a consideration in EVERYTHING you do. Battery life is measured in hours and minutes, and you carry an extra battery to avoid problems.
    iPhone - the battery is hardwired to the phone, and is not consumer-changeable. However, it goes and goes and goes. The life of the battery is measured in days, not minutes. I re-charge each night out of habit, rather than necessity. Comments "in the wild" about short battery life are written by people coming to the iPhone from a regular cell phone, which obviously has far longer-lasting charge. The mere form factor and capabilities of the iPhone and all pda phones are in a different category.

Resetting -
    i730 - out of the box, with no 3rd party software, the i730 is pretty stable. But, that's the rub. To be fully functional, all pda phones pretty much demand the addition of 3rd party software. And each additional program adds to the soup of complications that can and WILL cause instability. I have had to hard-reset my i730 on numerous occassions, and soft-resetting became nearly a daily activity, sometimes multiple times a day.
    iPhone - out of the box is it. There are no 3rd party software additions, unless you hack the iPhone (which is relatively simple to do, but that is a topic for a different discussion.) The iPhone is rock solid in stability. No resets needed, or even thought of.

Freeze ups -
    i730 - due, I am sure, to the necessary addition of 3rd party software, the i730 can and will freeze up, and often you will have no idea that it is locked tight. Many times I will discover hours later that the i730 has been totally locked for quite a while, causing me to miss calls simply because the phone was essentially dead.
    iPhone - I have never once experienced any lock ups or freezes.

3rd Party Software -
    i730 - there are thousands and thousands of programs readily available to install on the i730 (and any pocket pc). There is nearly no limit to the customization available to make your phone uniquely suited to you. This includes, as was mentioned, a mobile version of the Slingplayer. The i730 is a hands-down winner in this category.
    iPhone - unless you hack your iPhone, there are no 3rd party programs that could even be installed. That being said, much of the "essential" programs that I needed to install on the i730 are not needed on the iPhone, because it already has an equivalent, or does not need it.

What do I miss on the iPhone?
    • Slingplayer
    • Wireless syncing
    • Syncing of tasks and notes
    • Cut & paste
    • Editing Word documents

What do I like on the iPhone?
    • Rock solid reliability
    • Outstanding display and user interface
    • Visual voicemail
    • Text messaging format
    • Camera
    • Best mp3 player I have seen. iPod on steroids.
    • Size - extremely thin - "very pocketable"

That's just a quick little analysis. Frankly, there are advantages to both phones. If you live to tweak your phone, and constantly want to change things around, you will not like the iPhone. But, I have found the iPhone does what I need and want, and here is the key - it serves ME, rather than me serving it. I can count on it. If I want a hobby, this is not the phone to have. If I want stability and reliability, this is the ticket.
    Two questions:

How do you compare the text input between the iPhone (soft keyboard) and i730 (hard keyboard w/ little keys) ? I imagine this comparison will change again when the i760 is finally released.

Is there a comparable remote control feature/application released yet for the iPhone, such as SOTI's Pocket-Controller ? The ability to use my PC's keyboard/mouse to control my i730 is a great plus for any PDA phone.
    i760 VZW

I have many of the same complaints as tsatryan does about the pdaphones. However, I currently have a Q9m and it solves many of them. It's not as slick as an iPhone, but its just as thin (but wider) and very pocketable. It does run Slingplayer, and many other 3rd party software I like to use. I won't compare media (c'mon, its Apple), but I can watch movies on TCPMP and music with the same (or WMP) off the sd card (miniSD actually). Battery life is better, but I wouldn't say it lasts as long as the iPhone, but longer than the i730. (I haven't had to buy another battery--lasts me all day--I have 4 for the i730). It sync's exchange for me, I can do remote desktop, and......it doesn't crash! At least not yet, and that is a new one for me. (well it did crash on me running Opera mobile doing downloads--but I caused it.) All in all, I don't mean to hijack a i760 v. iPhone thread, but wanted to point that a nice combo of the two is a newer smartphone, like my Q.

Now I'll probably get a i760, cause that's the kinda guy I am, but I won't be doing it because I need the functions. (it's more that I have at least $700 of software that will just go to waste!)
    Jeremiah 29:11

Oh geez, I guess I will have to chime in and really take the i760 thread way, way OT. First of all we should NOT be comparing an Apple device with a MS designed PPC. Apples and Lemons don't match up here (pun intended !! ) OK that said , I do have the Q9M, i730, 700P, the Moto Q, the Wing and the Mogul. Now, each one has it own strengths and weaknesses. Neither of them do everything I WANT, but to come to the defense of some of these I have to say the Q9M is awesome and so is the iPhone. None of these have crashed on me yet. They both have behaved very well under all the stress I put them thru. I think we have to be careful here in this thread when we compare two entirely different devices, YES as a phone they all do what they say they do, YET we as power users demand things out of these that "maybe was never designed to do". YES, there are third party stuff that makes these scream and do 0-100 in .4secs, but what did it do the stability? you know the answer . YET, what do I do, go tweak things cause I can't leave things alone, dagnabit its you people here that have corrupted me over the years and I am so addicted that I am looking for some third party therapy programs to install on these devices so that said the iPhone was my medicine that the "doctor-for-wackos" ordered me to take for my ailments .
    Funny it worked.....the last time! Now I am not sure what was working before they put a hole in my head !

Converged and Redeemed
    What a great post, equus! Had me laughing all the way!

But, to answer the questions that wallst asked...
    Quote Originally Posted by wallst View Post
    Two questions:

How do you compare the text input between the iPhone (soft keyboard) and i730 (hard keyboard w/ little keys) ? I imagine this comparison will change again when the i760 is finally released.

Is there a comparable remote control feature/application released yet for the iPhone, such as SOTI's Pocket-Controller ? The ability to use my PC's keyboard/mouse to control my i730 is a great plus for any PDA phone.
    Text input - I was a bit concerned as I purchased the iPhone because of the soft keyboard, but have found it to be a non-issue. In fact, I use the soft-keyboard on the iPhone all the time, and I am a faster typist with it that I was on the i730. It is a different typing experience, as the key stroke enters when you lift UP your finger, not as you touch the keys. When you touch a key, the lett shows up in a pop-up window above your finger, but is not entered until you release your finger. This way, if you by chance have touched an incorrect key, just slide your finger to the correct one, and then release. It is far easier than I am making it sound. Another thing I like about the soft keyboard is it automatically pops onscreen when needed, and disappears when not needed. Nothing to slide out, etc. It's just there.

As for remote control software, akin to the SOTI Pocket-Controller, nothing that I have seen yet. The iPhone syncs through iTunes, so it would have to operate differently than SOTI's software, which works through activesync. I have seen, however, software that enables you to see and control your PC by way of the screen on your iPhone... sort of a reverse Pocket Controller, if you will. I have used it, and it functions fine, although I don't find it of too much practical use.
    Pastor Tim Satryan

Quote Originally Posted by equus View Post
    Oh geez, I guess I will have to chime in and really take the i760 thread way, way OT. First of all we should NOT be comparing an Apple device with a MS designed PPC. Apples and Lemons don't match up here (pun intended !! ) OK that said , I do have the Q9M, i730, 700P, the Moto Q, the Wing and the Mogul. Now, each one has it own strengths and weaknesses. Neither of them do everything I WANT, but to come to the defense of some of these I have to say the Q9M is awesome and so is the iPhone. None of these have crashed on me yet. They both have behaved very well under all the stress I put them thru. I think we have to be careful here in this thread when we compare two entirely different devices, YES as a phone they all do what they say they do, YET we as power users demand things out of these that "maybe was never designed to do". YES, there are third party stuff that makes these scream and do 0-100 in .4secs, but what did it do the stability? you know the answer . YET, what do I do, go tweak things cause I can't leave things alone, dagnabit its you people here that have corrupted me over the years and I am so addicted that I am looking for some third party therapy programs to install on these devices so that said the iPhone was my medicine that the "doctor-for-wackos" ordered me to take for my ailments .
    Lol This cracked me up. I guess waiting for the SCH or SGH i760s aren't the only ways to make people crazy huh:

SGH-i760, not SCH, ie the good i760:) Question..

Post Number veinte y siete (#27).
    Make some nice money from home:
    http://www.tvtravelbiz.com/ds9916

zunePhone!?

Good thing Microsoft leaves the hardware to the pros...

YouTube - zunePhone ad

My thoughts....

First of all, as far as iphone vs the microsoft software-toting i760, I believe the i760 to be the superior device, however, if M$ made the hardware there is NO way I would roll the dice on ANY Gates-created device! -I wonder how many of us would go with a VZW iPhone with EvDO over the i760?

...I particularly like how well this "zunePhone" commercial captured M$' copycat-style (from Windows to Zune, they've NEVER had an original thought), typical M$ with a baffling interface that leaves users helpless (that blinking VCR-style "12:00" is pure genius!), inevitable error messages, and, of course, endless delays ("Available in Stores June 2009ish"). This is spot-on!

How easy was it to convey Microsoft's negative brand stereo-types? Sad.
    Last edited by brassMONKEY; 09-09-2007 at 04:40 AM.

How does the iPhone's safari compare to other WM 6 web browsers? I have never had a smart phone before and I fell in love with safari. Any chance of the i760 toping safari?

I keep hearing people knock the Portable Media Player interface, but it is leaps better than the iPod's (coming from a guy that lived on a gen 5 iPod up until I got a Toshiba Gigabeat with PMP). Now, the Apple's touch interface is great, but from what I hear from Microsoft friends is that they are going full-steam with Seadragon into everything, and going to flash-base, and that they are planning on integrating PMP into Windows Mobile as an application, doing away with Media Player and Photo Viewer. I can't wait for that, even though it will surely be about 2 years out, if something better doesn't come out, but I could imagine how nice that would be with a touchscreen device

Converged and Redeemed
    Well, talking about today, not two years out, there is no comparison between the web browsing experience of the iPhone compared to any Windows Mobile phone. Viewing a web page on Safari is a thing of beauty. It looks like the same web page you see on a PC (or a Mac), and is easily zoomed in and out with the pinching maneuver.

The only thing that would perhaps be better about web browsing on any Windows Mobile vs iPhone is the speed of a page loading on a 3G wireless (EVDO) versus on at&t's slower EDGE network. But, although it is slower, it is more than workable, and the problem doesn't exist when you are in range of wi-fi.
    Pastor Tim Satryan

So the iPhone's web browsing cannot be beat? There are no addons to WM phone to get the same experience.

Converged and Redeemed
    There is a subscription based browser substitute available for WM phones (about $50/year if I remember) called Thunderhawk, which is ok, but not nearly as slick as the iPhone Safari browser. Also, MS had a beta program, the name of which escapes me, which was also pretty good, but again, no comparison to Safari.
    Pastor Tim Satryan

You talking about Deepfish?

The i700 looks so *big* now...

Deepfish

That was/is the Windows 'real' Web browser. I think, but I'm not sure, that Deepfish uses a proxy to reformat pages for mobile viewing.

Converged and Redeemed
    Yeah, that's the program I was referring to. Its pretty nice, but not up to the same quality as the iPhone Safari. The zooming function on Safari is extraordinary, as it "snaps into focus" as you zoom in.
    Pastor Tim Satryan

Quote Originally Posted by GoNolesGo View Post
    How does the iPhone's safari compare to other WM 6 web browsers? I have never had a smart phone before and I fell in love with safari. Any chance of the i760 toping safari?
    Having never used safari (other than for 10 minutes or so at the Apple store when the iphone was first released) I really can't speak intelligently about safari. However, I have been using opera mobile and I love it.

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    Picsel Browser is really good but gets ignored.

I am with equus on this one... each of these devices does what it does and none of them "do it all" with the ease and simplicity each of us would like to see. I was personally very happy with my Samsung Blackjack but got the iPhone as a late Father's day present and have not looked back. As always, everything depends on requirements vs. wants. My iPhone has been very steady and with Apple's updates being pushed, it is even better and something the WM community should certainly be demanding from MS.

The Safari browser rocks! I particularly use the zoom feature a lot, as it offsets my need for reading glasses (getting older after LASIK is a PITA!)

John