+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: i760 as a Modem

Quick Question!

Hi Guys!

I have been a "fly on the wall" in this forum now for over 8 months! Have enjoyed all of the info and "bantering." Like you, I can't wait until the 760 arrives! One question that I do have, I just downloaded the 760's user manual pdf file SCH-i760.pdf - FileFront.com and have read thru the entire manual. Maybe I missed it, but I did not find any info regarding the 760's ability to be used as a modem, i.e. "Aircard." I can currently use my I-730 as a modem for my laptop, but I have to use aftermarket or "hack" software to do this. It was my understanding that the 760 would have this feature "built in" so that I could use the 760 to access the internet using my broadband plan instead of an aircard. Could someone please clarify this for me? Thanks in advance for the info! (^_^)

Quote Originally Posted by riponfire View Post
    Hi Guys!

I have been a "fly on the wall" in this forum now for over 8 months! Have enjoyed all of the info and "bantering." Like you, I can't wait until the 760 arrives! One question that I do have, I just downloaded the 760's user manual pdf file SCH-i760.pdf - FileFront.com and have read thru the entire manual. Maybe I missed it, but I did not find any info regarding the 760's ability to be used as a modem, i.e. "Aircard." I can currently use my I-730 as a modem for my laptop, but I have to use aftermarket or "hack" software to do this. It was my understanding that the 760 would have this feature "built in" so that I could use the 760 to access the internet using my broadband plan instead of an aircard. Could someone please clarify this for me? Thanks in advance for the info! (^_^)
    You can review the 6800/Mogul forums to see how it works for Sprint. There are two third-party applications that can be used or you can leverage DUN natively.

I assume the i760 will be similiar to the Mogul (both are WM6), but only time will tell on how VZW may have crippled this. Any guesses now will be premature, unless your Equus.
    i760 VZW

Quote Originally Posted by wallst View Post
    You can review the 6800/Mogul forums to see how it works for Sprint. There are two third-party applications that can be used or you can leverage DUN natively.

I assume the i760 will be similiar to the Mogul (both are WM6), but only time will tell on how VZW may have crippled this. Any guesses now will be premature, unless your Equus.
    The VZW 6800 has the modem software built in. It is called "modem link". The i760 is supposed to be the same.

Epic Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by sclevan View Post
    The VZW 6800 has the modem software built in. It is called "modem link". The i760 is supposed to be the same.
    But only if you pay the extra $15 for the tethering plan. Otherwise you will need to use a 3rd party app.

I'd be convergered if only ... wodin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by riponfire View Post
    Hi Guys!

PDANet Vs. 1.8 works with WM 6 on my HTC Mogul with Sprint. I've been told that earlier versions do not work with WM 6.

I also tried USBModem, but since I needed to tether a Linux box, that didn't work for me. I'm told it works fine for a Windows box though.
    Last edited by wodin; 09-11-2007 at 07:49 PM.
    Don't mess with old futs...age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! B. S. and brilliance only come with age and experience!

Help?

Hello,

This is my question:

You guys keep saying there are apps so you do not have to pay per month. I do not know what these apps are though.

Can you please list all of the possible apps for use with the Samsung SCH-i760? Also if there are any free ones that would be great.

Thanks,

SCHi760

Quote Originally Posted by SCHi760 View Post
    Hello,

This is my question:

You guys keep saying there are apps so you do not have to pay per month. I do not know what these apps are though.

Can you please list all of the possible apps for use with the Samsung SCH-i760? Also if there are any free ones that would be great.

Thanks,

SCHi760
    You still have to have a data plan. You can't get free data unless you strictly use WiFi. The discussion here is starting (although it is WAY preemptive) is to find out how to use the i760 as a modem for a computer, using the data that you pay $45/month for, which is also called tethering. In the past Verizon has finally started allowing people to do this at an additional cost of $15/month, but if you use a piece of software called PDANet, then you can bypass this charge, and the software essentially makes the phone's data connection "shared" to your laptop for use.

This MIGHT work on the i760, but again, it is WAY to early to tell. The device isn't out yet....

Thanks But...

Quote Originally Posted by mrailing View Post
    You still have to have a data plan. You can't get free data unless you strictly use WiFi. The discussion here is starting (although it is WAY preemptive) is to find out how to use the i760 as a modem for a computer, using the data that you pay $45/month for, which is also called tethering. In the past Verizon has finally started allowing people to do this at an additional cost of $15/month, but if you use a piece of software called PDANet, then you can bypass this charge, and the software essentially makes the phone's data connection "shared" to your laptop for use.

This MIGHT work on the i760, but again, it is WAY to early to tell. The device isn't out yet....
    Thanks for the info I appreciate it. I did however know that I needed a data plan. I do have several questions though:

1. Is there anyway I can get a pay as you go data plan or a data plan where I burn my minutes?

2. PDANet sounds cool but are there any other alternatives?

Thanks
    SCHi760

P.S. I do not know if this is the forum for this but I am knew to the Windows Mobile world. Are there any other apps I should know about? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SCHi760 View Post
    Thanks for the info I appreciate it. I did however know that I needed a data plan. I do have several questions though:

1. Is there anyway I can get a pay as you go data plan or a data plan where I burn my minutes?

2. PDANet sounds cool but are there any other alternatives?

Thanks
    SCHi760

P.S. I do not know if this is the forum for this but I am knew to the Windows Mobile world. Are there any other apps I should know about? Thanks
    Take some time and read the other Windows Mobile forums, especially the FAQs for the i730 in the i730 forum. This will help bring you up to speed, and will mention quite a few apps to checkout. We like to help here, but do expect people to look and read and help themselves first.

1. Sure you can get Pay as you go, but you pay per KB used, which if memory serves was like $1.50/MB of use. There used to be a plan called MOU (minutes only used), but it's no longer around and was cancelled when EVDO appeared. There is Q2N (quick2net), which uses minutes and not data, but is limited to 14.4 kbps speed. Search in the Windows Mobile forums for "quick2net" and you will find a lot of discussion on it, including if it really uses minutes.

Simply put, if you plan on using ANY amount of data, get the data plan. The data racks up to quick...

2. As posted above, PDANet and USBModem...

Quote Originally Posted by depressedVZWuse View Post
    But only if you pay the extra $15 for the tethering plan. Otherwise you will need to use a 3rd party app.
    That's what bugs me about VZW. You pay for the phone with the features, then you have to pay extra to use the feature on the data network you're already paying for.

-Pat-

I'd be convergered if only ... wodin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PatD View Post
    That's what bugs me about VZW. You pay for the phone with the features, then you have to pay extra to use the feature on the data network you're already paying for.

-Pat-
    Yes, but VZW is not unique in this; all of the major carriers have similar policies. You may be able to find a local carrier that does not, but (sigh) there are none where I live.

The options for me are to either pay for the service or steal it.
    Don't mess with old futs...age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! B. S. and brilliance only come with age and experience!

I am another i730 user and am wondering if I will be able to use it as a modem via bluetooth? Just ordered a new laptp w/ bluetooth and hoping I dont have to tether.

Dean

After further reading, I think I am going to stick with the i730 since mine is working fine these days and I dont want to go with the extra $15 bucks for tethering. I am paying enough to VZW these days.

What is PDANet and where does one get it?

I've used my i730 as a USB modem using instructions I found online (http://www.slashphone.com/7/2248.html). Is PDANet business similar to this?

Does VZW have a way to tell we've been using PDANet and will they freak out over it? I can imagine using something like this would be against all that fine print in the contract.

VZW doesn't even allow tethering for $15/month I think.

I looked up PDANet...looks like it doesnt work on a Mac but if one follows the instructions posted on slashphone (http://www.slashphone.com/7/2248.html), that allows tethering with a Mac too - infact Mac tethering was was easier than PC as the modem software was already instealed on OSX. But again, what sort of risk might we be taking if we use this or PDAnet?

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wodin View Post
    PDANet Vs. 1.8 works with WM 6 on my HTC Mogul with Sprint. I've been told that earlier versions do not work with WM 6.

I also tried USBModem, but since I needed to tether a Linux box, that didn't work for me. I'm told it works fine for a Windows box though.

Over in HOFO they are saying that PDANet 1.8 works on the i760.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_A_K View Post
    Over in HOFO they are saying that PDANet 1.8 works on the i760.

Yes, must use 1.8. 1.73 does not work with WM 6

...That Funky Monkey brassMONKEY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by levinda View Post
    Yes, must use 1.8. 1.73 does not work with WM 6
    I can confirm that 1.8 does work!! -free to upgrade, just reinstall at: PdaNet -- Use your Treo smartphone as a Wireless Modem for your PC and once you connect (either through data cable or active sync) your i760 pdanet will automatically install on your phone! niiiiiiice!

Bluetooth Connection Speed

First of all - thanks for all of the info. I've been wanting to set my 730 up as a modem since I got it over 2 years ago but it's been so buggy I've resisted. Now I'm going to try a lot of things with the 760 that I wasn't comfortable trying on my very unstable 730 (no, I never went through MRailing's setup - I know, shame on me!!).

Anyway - back to the modem issue - I recall reading somewhere that the connection speed of BT is pretty slow. I vaguely recall someone mentioning that the syncing cable for this phone is USB (is that the original USB or USB2?).

I would like the option to use both to connect but I'm wondering about connection speeds. The most likely answer will be that the connection speed on the network will be so much slower than either BT or even USB but I thought I would ask if either of these would be a bottleneck (or even noticeable).

Thanks in advance!!

Jay
    If it ain't broke. . . break it!!

Bluetooth, yes, you are limited on the maximum speed, around 300kbps I think... USB is most likely 1.1, which is around 11mbps, which is FAR slower than EVDO, and even EVDO Rev A. So you would be better off using the USB connection when tethering, but Bluetooth is nice to have and use because of the no cable connection...

Quote Originally Posted by GadgetNut View Post
    First of all - thanks for all of the info. I've been wanting to set my 730 up as a modem since I got it over 2 years ago but it's been so buggy I've resisted. Now I'm going to try a lot of things with the 760 that I wasn't comfortable trying on my very unstable 730 (no, I never went through MRailing's setup - I know, shame on me!!).

Anyway - back to the modem issue - I recall reading somewhere that the connection speed of BT is pretty slow. I vaguely recall someone mentioning that the syncing cable for this phone is USB (is that the original USB or USB2?).

I would like the option to use both to connect but I'm wondering about connection speeds. The most likely answer will be that the connection speed on the network will be so much slower than either BT or even USB but I thought I would ask if either of these would be a bottleneck (or even noticeable).

Thanks in advance!!

Jay

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast