+ Reply to Thread

Is the i760 officially obsolete?

I know the i760 is a Pocket PC but does this smrtphone just blow its doors off?

http://msmobiles.com/news.php/6691.html

No touchscreen, still running WM6 standard, which doesn't work for many of my custom apps... So no, i760 isn't obsolete...

full spec sheet: http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2007/...ple/#more-1708

mrailing, several people have scaled back from a PPC to the PN-820 smartphone and said they lost few functions. I think superdave said it was one of, if not the best phones he's ever used. so in some cases smartphones can be competitive with ppc's. and this phone seems like an exceptionally loaded smartphone.

Quote Originally Posted by DIAR View Post
    full spec sheet: Full Pantech C810 specs, people! | The Boy Genius Report

mrailing, several people have scaled back from a PPC to the PN-820 smartphone and said they lost few functions. I think superdave said it was one of, if not the best phones he's ever used. so in some cases smartphones can be competitive with ppc's. and this phone seems like an exceptionally loaded smartphone.
    Superdave also mentioned recently he was bored with the 820 and made the move back to the i730....

The need for a PPC or Smartphone is up to each individual user. I for one have had a smartphone OS device, and happily went back to a touch screen device. I have owned well over 30 PDAs over the years (probably starting around 1998 or 1999). I have used them with and without a touchscreen, and I must say, I find a touchscreen easier to use.

I do like the smartphone OS (now WM6 Standard), but I find it limiting in many areas, including custom database applications, like my billing software. Even though I don't use it much, I do find document editing, as well as some of the other tweaking functionalities better on the PPC.

As in the past, the PPC phones are a PDA first and phone second, and the smartphone is a phone first with PDA functionalities. Some people don't need what WM6 Professional will offer and will get by just fine with a WM6 Standard device, and might even find it being a better device, however I am in the opposite camp, and find them to be limiting... But I guess different phones for different people are why there are so many different phones.

But I also don't think comparing a WM6 Standard Device and a WM6 Professional device is fair, or should one make the other obsolete. WM7 or whatever the next one will be called, is suppose to combine the two in to one device with similar feature sets, so we shall see. Comparing the two different WM6 devices is like comparing a Ford Ranger to a Ford F350 SuperDuty. Sure both are trucks, both can haul stuff, both do similar stuff, just one has a little more capabilities than the other, and you just have to decide what your needs are...

Many people who buy the i760 won't use nearly half of the features, and it will be too much of a device, and having something like the 820 or this AT&T smartphone would be better for them, and possibly should wait for the 5800 (smartphone from Verizon). But I can't see a smartphone ever making a PPC device obsolete, it's just not as capable of a device... (IMO)

Mrailing- I know I posted this in the 760 rumor section a week ago, but can you have a look at this unit? I know it's an incarnation of the ipaq- but it looks terrific (functionwise, that is.) Do you know much about it?
    It's the IPAQ 900 business series messenger. Here is a link-
    http://mobilitysite.com/2007/09/meet...ess-messenger/
    Nadine

mmm.... dual slider....

Throw in touchscreen, full GPS, 5MP camera, SDHC (not mini or micro), WVGA screen, perhaps a trackball (a la BB) and maybe a clutched encoder wheel... I'd be in heaven. When will we be able to order cell phones from manufacturers like we order computers from Dell? Wouldn't that be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by verysleepy View Post
    Mrailing- I know I posted this in the 760 rumor section a week ago, but can you have a look at this unit? I know it's an incarnation of the ipaq- but it looks terrific (functionwise, that is.) Do you know much about it?
    It's the IPAQ 900 business series messenger. Here is a link-
    http://mobilitysite.com/2007/09/meet...ess-messenger/
    this is nice...and it's lighter and seems smaller than the kaiser. and you can reply to e-mails - and I imagine text messages - without typing. wow. i'm not crazy about the screen, but this thing is loaded.

it would be nice if that e-mail voice reply app could be hacked for other devices.

Epic Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by LxMeister View Post
    mmm.... dual slider....

Throw in touchscreen, full GPS, 5MP camera, SDHC (not mini or micro), WVGA screen, perhaps a trackball (a la BB) and maybe a clutched encoder wheel... I'd be in heaven. When will we be able to order cell phones from manufacturers like we order computers from Dell? Wouldn't that be nice.
    You can, you just have to be on AT&T to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by mrailing View Post
    But I also don't think comparing a WM6 Standard Device and a WM6 Professional device is fair, or should one make the other obsolete. WM7 or whatever the next one will be called, is suppose to combine the two in to one device with similar feature sets, so we shall see. Comparing the two different WM6 devices is like comparing a Ford Ranger to a Ford F350 SuperDuty. Sure both are trucks, both can haul stuff, both do similar stuff, just one has a little more capabilities than the other, and you just have to decide what your needs are...
    (IMO)
    I think we all want a Ford F650 PDA phone.

F650 SuperTruck
    i760 VZW

Quote Originally Posted by wallst View Post

F650 SuperTruck
    Not sure how "pocket-able" it would be though....
    Jeremiah 29:11

Quote Originally Posted by mrailing View Post
    Superdave also mentioned recently he was bored with the 820 and made the move back to the i730....

The need for a PPC or Smartphone is up to each individual user. I for one have had a smartphone OS device, and happily went back to a touch screen device. I have owned well over 30 PDAs over the years (probably starting around 1998 or 1999). I have used them with and without a touchscreen, and I must say, I find a touchscreen easier to use.

I do like the smartphone OS (now WM6 Standard), but I find it limiting in many areas, including custom database applications, like my billing software. Even though I don't use it much, I do find document editing, as well as some of the other tweaking functionalities better on the PPC.

As in the past, the PPC phones are a PDA first and phone second, and the smartphone is a phone first with PDA functionalities. Some people don't need what WM6 Professional will offer and will get by just fine with a WM6 Standard device, and might even find it being a better device, however I am in the opposite camp, and find them to be limiting... But I guess different phones for different people are why there are so many different phones.

Many people who buy the i760 won't use nearly half of the features, and it will be too much of a device, and having something like the 820 or this AT&T smartphone would be better for them, and possibly should wait for the 5800 (smartphone from Verizon). But I can't see a smartphone ever making a PPC device obsolete, it's just not as capable of a device... (IMO)
    I agree, a better comparison is this Pantech vs. the Q9m or BlackJack... It does look nice; I've got to see that dual slider. It makes it 22.86mm thick (2.86 mm thicker than the i760, and nearly 11 mm thicker than the Q9m). I've gotta say, the thickness is a key for me! (er....maybe that came out wrong....). But in fairness the screen is bigger than the Q (specs on that not listed, but it looks the same as the i760. Also, no wifi (unlike the i760, but like the Q9m).

Pantech: 58.42 mm x 109.2 mm x 22.86 mm
    i760: 60 x 110 x 20 mm
    Q9m: 117 x 65 x 11.9 mm
    Jeremiah 29:11

I'd be convergered if only ... wodin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wallst View Post

F650 SuperTruck
    I went with PeterBuilt!
    Don't mess with old futs...age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! B. S. and brilliance only come with age and experience!

sofa king we todd did superdave's Avatar
    It is true I was bored with the pn820, mostly because everything worked right. Too me though the smartphone OS is much better suited for a device that is a phone. I am working now to make the i730 more like it, I already have the no power off working. I like having the touchscreen, but, I still want to be able to do everything without using it. Another reason I am using the i730 is because of the keyboard. I love the form factor of the i730, if its not going to be a flip then I think it is the best. If it had gps , a cam and a better os it would be perfect. I wish they would have just upgraded the i730 and kept the same form factor, but, I guess i'll just have to get used to the H keyboard.

,Dave

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    It is true I was bored with the pn820, mostly because everything worked right. Too me though the smartphone OS is much better suited for a device that is a phone. I am working now to make the i730 more like it, I already have the no power off working. I like having the touchscreen, but, I still want to be able to do everything without using it. Another reason I am using the i730 is because of the keyboard. I love the form factor of the i730, if its not going to be a flip then I think it is the best. If it had gps , a cam and a better os it would be perfect. I wish they would have just upgraded the i730 and kept the same form factor, but, I guess i'll just have to get used to the H keyboard.

,Dave

Hey Superdave. I couldn't agree with you more. Wait.. how did you get it to not power off?
    Make some nice money from home:
    http://www.tvtravelbiz.com/ds9916

sofa king we todd did superdave's Avatar
    I disable the power management driver which stops the power button from turning off the phone. I then remap a button to my phonelock app which manages locking the phone and turning off the display. Phonelock also does repeat call/etc notification and full screen caller picture. It does reduce standby time a bit, but, its certainly manageable and more stable. I think I may even be able to get that a little better. After a bit more testing ill post something on the i730 thread.

,Dave

Dunno, a dual slider makes me think that there is just more things that can go wrong. I don't want to slide a phone out to make a call. Maybe if you make it purty on the outside like an iPhone or the HTC Prada or something, I dunno. Interesting concept though.