+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Must have programs for your i760

I have never had a PDA or smartphone so can you guys please help me? What are some of the MUST have apps and programs out there to make the most out of our/my i760 (well I don't have it yet)
    Thank you

Start off by searching the i730 forum for programs, and also check out the i730 setup guides, specifically the 2003 setup guide, as I mention some programs in there. Also check out the major sellers of software, and look at their top 10 software packages. Luckily with PDA devices, almost all software packages have a trial period before you have to buy (and I highly suggest you use it, as I have personally wasted over $500 on software I no longer use).

But some key ones for me (and this might change with WM6):

phoneAlarm (pocketmax.net)
    SPB Pocket Plus
    Voice Command (which comes with the i760)
    Pocket Quicken
    abcDB
    eWallet
    IM+
    SMS Threader (chat style SMS, there are many out there)
    SPB Phone Suite

Those are the majority of the software I run. I try to keep the device simple, as the more software you install, the more unstable it gets.

I have been a PDA Phone user for the last 3 years. Started with the i730 then moved to the xv6700 for the camera.

THe programs that I definitely recommend are as follows...

PhoneAlarm - must have as it notifys you of your missed calles, texts, email ect
    Dinar MemMaid - nice program that helps clean the PktPc of garbage
    Dinar HandySwitcher - actually closes the programs and does not just minimize
    SPB Pocket Plus - nice add-on especially the quick dial for contacts
    IM+ - great for instant messaging but expensive ($40.00)
    Resco Explorer - better file exploring program, with registry editor
    WeatherPanel - best weather software out there, don't know if it
    works with WM6 though????

A lot of programs are out there, depending on what you want them to do and how much you want to spend.

Here's a third shoutout for SPB Pocket Plus. The ability to actually close a program with the x button is very useful for smooth running. Actually closing programs frees up resources that your next program can use.

I'm confused about the phone alarm thing? Sorry if this is dumb question (remeber I've never had a pda phone) but isn't it like a reg. phone and it says missed calls etc? Also where do u guys go to get your programs? Lastly don't hate me but anyone thinking of getting like a iphone or HTC touch home theme?

One of the other features SPB Pocket Plus offers is opening multiple windows in Internet Explorer. This is great when your on a webpage with multiple links. Here's a Pocket Plus tip about Pocket Internet Explorer that will help you from being frustrated with the multiple window feature; After you install SPB Pocket Plus hold down your stylus on the spot were the x would be and choose Options from the list you'll see. Now highlight Pocket Internet Explorer and click on Feature Options then change the "Close button" should close option from All opened PIE windows to Only current one. This way you'll still have that webpage full of links to click on until you close it.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnP007 View Post
    I'm confused about the phone alarm thing? Sorry if this is dumb question (remeber I've never had a pda phone) but isn't it like a reg. phone and it says missed calls etc? Also where do u guys go to get your programs? Lastly don't hate me but anyone thinking of getting like a iphone or HTC touch home theme?
    Hey John. Believe it or not, this is one of the bigger complaints about the ball drop by Microsoft on WM5. It's ridiculous that you can't get USEFUL notifications about # of voicemails or a beep if you've missed a call. The Treos have had it since day one and I had a hard time when I switched.

In all honesty, the only thing I don't like is a missing call reminder as there will always be a visual indication if you have a voicemail, missed call or text message. But if you have your phone downstairs and you miss a call overnight - you won't know it until you actually go over and look at your phone. The add-on programs offer options to do this.

Hope that helps!

Jay
    If it ain't broke. . . break it!!

My "must-haves" are (in no particular order):
    1. Total Commander 2.0 (replaces File Explorer and is freeware)
    2. Spb Backup
    3. Spb Diary
    4. Sbp Insight (newsreader)
    5. Spb Mobile Shell
    6. Spb PocketPlus
    7. Spb Traveler (I used to use Spb Weather and Spb Time, but now I only use Traveler)
    8. Spb Wallet (just switched from Ilium's eWallet)
    9. Microsoft Voice Command (as MRailing mentioned, this will be included with WM6 on the i760)
    10. phoneAlarm
    11. XCPUScalar or SuperDave's Autostep
    12. MemMaid
    13. SK-Tools (really only need either MemMaid or SK-Tools
    14. PDNNet
    My "I could live without, but life would be no fun" list is:
    1. Slingplayer Mobile
    2. Aces Texas Hold'em
    3. Pocket Grandmaster (chess)
    4. TomTom Navigator 6
    5. Vito Ringtone Editor (great for taking clips of MP3s and WAVs and turning them into ringtones
    6. WisBar Advance (for skinning the Today screen)
    7. Spb Phone Tools.
    8. Spb Mobile DVD (this is installed on your PC, not your PPC, and is used to convert DVDs to a file format that easily can be watched on your PPC)
    9. WebIS VoiceMinder (allows you to easily e-mail yourself voice notes)
    10. Aces Blackjack
    Believe it or not, I've skipped a lot of the software I once had installed on my i730.

Hope this gives you some ideas as to what's out there.
    Last edited by iProb8; 09-15-2007 at 11:59 AM.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

Hello Everyone, I have a basic PDA question for you. If the ROM is only 128meg and the system is already probably using half of it, how can there be enough room to download all these additional programs? Sorry about the newbie question, but I am getting the i760 and it would be my first PDA. Thanks, S

Quote Originally Posted by SHIVA View Post
    Hello Everyone, I have a basic PDA question for you. If the ROM is only 128meg and the system is already probably using half of it, how can there be enough room to download all these additional programs? Sorry about the newbie question, but I am getting the i760 and it would be my first PDA. Thanks, S
    After an install of WM5, approximately 58.5 MB is available for program storage in the Device (Storage). The programs themselves range from a couple of KB each to a few MB each. In addition, SafeStore, which is approximately 21.8MB, can be used for installation of programs. Lastly, a lot of programs can be installed to a Secure Digital card. Generally, if a program runs all the time (such as Spb Diary, PocketPlus, or phoneAlarm), I install it to
    Device (Storage). If it's something that doesn't need fast access time and isn't always being used (such as TomTom, SlingPlayer Mobile, or games), I install to my SD card.
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

Thanks...

I am currently using a LG VX9800 the V and this has a very cool feature that it announces all calls or IMs or Voice Mails. I'm sure you guys are familiar with this.

For example when I get a call from a number that's not in my address book, instead of ringing it says: "call from 212-555-1212" and then it repeats it until it goes into VM.

And if the number is in my address book, it says "call from Jane Doe."
    or "new voice message"
    or "message from so and so"

Is it possible to install a program on i760 to make it announce calls and callers?

Thanks, S

I use Magic Button on the XV6700 for forcefully closing applications instead of minimizing. It's a nice non intrusive UI for the most part. Not sure if it works on WM6 though. If not, hopefully he will update it.

- Joe
    Last edited by mihalich; 09-16-2007 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SHIVA View Post
    Thanks...

Is it possible to install a program on i760 to make it announce calls and callers?

Thanks, S
    Microsoft Voice Command does this. I've seen a few posts that say the 760 comes with it. If not, you can buy version 1.6 which supposedly works on WM 6.

I believe it will also announce them over bluetooth headsets. Not positive of this, as I dumped my bluetooth headset and went back to wired.

- Joe
    Last edited by mihalich; 09-16-2007 at 10:32 AM.

MRailing
    Having PhoneAlarm and Spb Phone suite seems like duplication... Do you really have both on the same unit? What are the differences between the two?
    TKD2004

thanks mihalich, if you care about sound quality BT is not ready for prime time. S

I got in the habit of buying everything at pocketgear.com.

Can't go without:
    BatteryPackPro (Does a lot of the stuff the SPB suites do, but a lot of people don't like BatteryPack. It's badly named, too, it's way way more than a battery meter. Happens to be my preference.)
    HudsonMobile PhoneDashboard (30 days of call history, tracks peak vs. off peak, projects if you'll exceed your plan minutes at your month-to-date call rate, shows total usage for the day, last phone event)

Can go without, but not happily:
    Resco Explorer
    eWallet (store passwords and credit cards)
    StyleTap (runs Palm apps)

Can do without, but worth having:
    FVC&PB Metro (all the major subway systems in the world, plots the fastest route between two stations or tourist attractions, observes day of week and time of day scheduling differences, downloadable route and timetable updates, user community supported accuracy)
    Slingplayer Mobile
    Resco Sudoku

Downloaded, tried, and deleted:
    Most of Spb's stuff
    Most of Sunnysoft's stuff
    Wisbar Advance (couldn't get it to Feng Shui with everything else)
    Omega Bar
    -s

Jed
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleeve View Post
    Can do without, but worth having:
    FVC&PB Metro (all the major subway systems in the world, plots the fastest route between two stations or tourist attractions, observes day of week and time of day scheduling differences, downloadable route and timetable updates, user community supported accuracy)
    Sounds interesting -- can you tell me where I might download that?

Quote Originally Posted by Jed View Post
    Sounds interesting -- can you tell me where I might download that?
    Hehe, yeah, it's a bit tough to find because it's free. You'll find commercial subway software on the usual WM sites, but this was all I needed. The site may look a little amateur, but I can assure you there is no need to worry about malware.

MetrO

Another nice thing is that each of the now 350 cities it supports is a separate file, so you can save space and only load your home city, then load others and temporarily take up some space when travelling. It also has tourist and native versions of the biggest cities so that if you live in New York, you don't have to carry around the 400kb database, you can use the 110k one with just the basics.
    -s

There is a fun GUI that is in development (it's still in alpha stages) that has a lot of potential. It's called "freestyl" (formerly called "who needs an iphone" interface.) It is a GUI that has some of the same concepts of the iphone interface (it is NOT an iphone clone!) It uses flash and works on top of the today screen; and it uses very little resources. You can find it at WhoNeedsAniPhone.com - A new interface for Windows Mobile designed in Flash Lite! or just check my sig. I use it on my i730 and plan on using it on the i760 when I get it tomorrow.
    Last edited by ruasoh; 09-16-2007 at 11:18 PM.
    Looking forward to http://www.whoneedsaniphone.com/ talk about the best of both worlds...

SlingPlayer works fine for me in portrait mode, but has a fuzzy screen in landscape/full screen mode (unwatchable). I'll continue to test it out...
    Jeremiah 29:11

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast