+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Geek

Can keyboard handle multiple key presses?

How is the keyboard? On my i730 if I press keys too quickly it doesn't register them because it can't handle anything even remotely resembling multiple key presses. Does the i760 have this problem as well?
    JDS

I would be excited to know this as well.
    Xbox Live PdaPhoneHome.com Leaderboard: Add your gamertag to the new community leaderboard!

Smartphone and Pocket PC Magazine 2007 Annual Best of Software Awards Judge.

I'm dying to know, too. This is a critical feature for games and emulation, and nice even if that's not your thing.

Fully Converged
    Hmm so far it seems ok. I will be testing more later with FSPEce will post results after.
    XV6900 Custom WM6.1, 8GB microSDHC
    History:WM6.1 XV6800w/GPS,XV6700 WM6.1,Samsung i760,Moto Q9m,Moto Q,XV6700,VZW Treo 700WX, Treo 700W,Samsung i730,XV6600,Treo 650,Treo 600,Kyocera 7135

Thanks for the input Neman!
    Xbox Live PdaPhoneHome.com Leaderboard: Add your gamertag to the new community leaderboard!

Smartphone and Pocket PC Magazine 2007 Annual Best of Software Awards Judge.

Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemanracing View Post
    Hmm so far it seems ok. I will be testing more later with FSPEce will post results after.
    If you press 2 keys at once, what happens? Both come out, one comes out, none come out...
    JDS

Quote Originally Posted by JDSX View Post
    If you press 2 keys at once, what happens? Both come out, one comes out, none come out...
    It looks to me like the answer is no. Or at least not for all keys.

When I press d and h simultaneously, I see only the d key. But when I press a and l simultaneously, I see either al or la on the screen.

It appears to be certain key combinations that have problems, such as two keys on the same row. It appears sets of keys are grouped together by the keyboard handling hardware.

Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by ambient-sky View Post
    It looks to me like the answer is no. Or at least not for all keys.

When I press d and h simultaneously, I see only the d key. But when I press a and l simultaneously, I see either al or la on the screen.

It appears to be certain key combinations that have problems, such as two keys on the same row. It appears sets of keys are grouped together by the keyboard handling hardware.
    Then I guess for fast typers it'll be as crappy as the i730.
    JDS

Did you ask the right question?

Then I guess for fast typers it'll be as crappy as the i730.
    Being a fast typist is one thing... pressing keys simultaneously is another. And I don't know of any device/keyboard that can reconcile simultaneous keypresses (other than shift-key presses, and the like) the way you seem to want.

Perhaps a better question would be: "How responsive is the i760 keyboard? Does it support fast typing?"

No, the simultaneous presses is for game playing.... It appears it doesn't accept them..
    Jeremiah 29:11

Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by Dzanda View Post
    Being a fast typist is one thing... pressing keys simultaneously is another. And I don't know of any device/keyboard that can reconcile simultaneous keypresses (other than shift-key presses, and the like) the way you seem to want.

Perhaps a better question would be: "How responsive is the i760 keyboard? Does it support fast typing?"
    Most devices can reconcile them. My previous Treo did and I tested a friend's 8525 which also did. I haven't done a survey of Samsung phones but so far it's the only brand I've encountered with this problem. I'm sure I'm not the only i730 user here and I bet others have experienced the dropped keystrokes from typing so quickly that they begin to overlap.

It's not a big deal because I've already decided to pass on this phone and go for the Tilt but I couldn't help but ask. I know everyone's all worked up about this upgrade but I think it's a huge disappointment.
    JDS

Please enlighten me, because this is news to me!

Most devices can reconcile them. My previous Treo did and I tested a friend's 8525 which also did. I haven't done a survey of Samsung phones but so far it's the only brand I've encountered with this problem. I'm sure I'm not the only i730 user here and I bet others have experienced the dropped keystrokes from typing so quickly that they begin to overlap.
    If I understand what you're saying, you're reporting that other devices (except for Samsungs as far as you know) will correctly reconcile a truly simultaneous pair of keystrokes??!!?? I've certainly been wrong before (!), but I have a very hard time believing this!

And your remark about the i730 does nothing to change my opinion; stating that the i730 drops keystrokes when when one is typing very fast indicates that the typist is either exceeding the keyboard's response speed, or outpacing the keyboard buffer, etc.. But I don't see how that can be interpreted as an issue with simultaneous keystrokes?? Again: simultaneous is not the same thing as close together.

Geek
    If I understand what you're saying, you're reporting that other devices (except for Samsungs as far as you know) will correctly reconcile a truly simultaneous pair of keystrokes??!!?? I've certainly been wrong before (!), but I have a very hard time believing this!

And your remark about the i730 does nothing to change my opinion; stating that the i730 drops keystrokes when when one is typing very fast indicates that the typist is either exceeding the keyboard's response speed, or outpacing the keyboard buffer, etc.. But I don't see how that can be interpreted as an issue with simultaneous keystrokes?? Again: simultaneous is not the same thing as close together.
    I can't speak for every non-Samsung device because for all I know it happens on every device I've never tried it on. I can say that my previous Treo and my friend's 8525 would output simultaneous keystrokes although I don't know how it resolved precedence. I can also say that my i730 is not only reliable in this respect -- which is extreme -- but a person typing fast enough to "crowd" keystrokes will lose enough to make the whole effort a frustrating one. It doesn't have to be very fast, just fairly fast. I know I'm not unique because my coworker who also owns an i730 has complained of it too. This is also important for video games as someone mentioned above and the i730 didn't support it.

Rather than doubt me with (seemingly) no firsthand experience of your own, how about you go to the Verizon store, pick up an i730, and write out a paragraph at your top typing speed? Then go over to AT&T and write the same paragraph at the same speed on an 8525. Let me know how that goes.
    Last edited by JDSX; 09-16-2007 at 06:18 PM.
    JDS

Rather than doubt me with (seemingly) no firsthand experience of your own, how about you go to the Verizon store, pick up an i730, and write out a paragraph at your top typing speed? Then go over to AT&T and write the same paragraph at the same speed on an 8525. Let me know how that goes.
    The reason I doubt what you're saying has far less to do with my "firsthand experience" with these or any other devices than with my issues with your use of language!

My point is that you apparently do not understand the semantic difference between "simultaneous" and "closely spaced" or "crowded" keypresses. Even in your most current remarks (quoted above), you suggest that I try typing at my "top typing speed", even though that has absolutely nothing to do with simultaneous keystrokes! I have acknowledged that some devices accept faster typing input than do others, and asked you for clarification on so-called simultaneous keystrokes.

Games are an entirely different critter, since simultaneous keypresses are common (e.g. on screen movement, shooting, etc.); but this discussion started off being about typing. And for what it's worth, I know by "firsthand experience" that some devices implement this sort of functionality much better than do others.

Frankly, I still think that you're confusing two issues, and erroneously attributing dropped keystrokes to a device's presumed ability to resolve simultaneous keypresses. I already know that I can cause some devices to drop characters by typing rapidly; our difference of opinion has to do with whether or not simultaneous strokes has anything to do with it. There's no doubt that I might be way off base here, but I really don't think so.

It's clear that for whatever reason you and I are unable to resolve this question, so perhaps someone else will chime in? Or, we could simply drop it.

Fully Converged
    I have had no problems trying to play some emulators on the i760. As far as FPSEce i have yet to find an overclock program that works with this processor. FPSEce seems to work better at 520Mhz and best at 624Mhz on my XV6700. Also there is a program to fix the multiple keypress issue on the XV6700 so maybe some one could do something similar for the i760.
    XV6900 Custom WM6.1, 8GB microSDHC
    History:WM6.1 XV6800w/GPS,XV6700 WM6.1,Samsung i760,Moto Q9m,Moto Q,XV6700,VZW Treo 700WX, Treo 700W,Samsung i730,XV6600,Treo 650,Treo 600,Kyocera 7135

The reason I doubt what you're saying has far less to do with my "firsthand experience" with these or any other devices than with my issues with your use of language!

My point is that you apparently do not understand the semantic difference between "simultaneous" and "closely spaced" or "crowded" keypresses. Even in your most current remarks (quoted above), you suggest that I try typing at my "top typing speed", even though that has absolutely nothing to do with simultaneous keystrokes! I have acknowledged that some devices accept faster typing input than do others, and asked you for clarification on so-called simultaneous keystrokes.

You don't have to initially depress two keys at the EXACT precise moment in time to have a simultaneous keypress. For instance, if you depress the "A" key on a keyboard, then shortly after and without releasing the first key depress "B." The second key is depressed while the first key is still held down. This happens regularly with quick typing. Your regular PC will generally display those strokes as "AB," registering them both, even though the "B" was depressed prior to the first finger releasing the "A."

The question here is, what happens on the i760 if a second key is depressed before the first is released? The concern is that it would not register the second key at all when the keypress is initiated "simultaneously" with another.

Geek
    Exactly. That's what I meant when I used words like overlap and crowd.
    JDS

The best way to test this is to load an emulator app and test it during a game... Testing with a notepad will lead to results that may not be precise.

I give up... really!

Quote Originally Posted by JDCJ View Post
    You don't have to initially depress two keys at the EXACT precise moment in time to have a simultaneous keypress. For instance, if you depress the "A" key on a keyboard, then shortly after and without releasing the first key depress "B." The second key is depressed while the first key is still held down. This happens regularly with quick typing. Your regular PC will generally display those strokes as "AB," registering them both, even though the "B" was depressed prior to the first finger releasing the "A."
    Here's yet another person who doesn't understand the distinction between the words 'simultaneous' and 'sequential'.

But, if this is what you people mean when you say 'simultaneous', then fine. I'm done.

Here's yet another person who doesn't understand the distinction between the words 'simultaneous' and 'sequential'.

But, if this is what you people mean when you say 'simultaneous', then fine. I'm done.
    I think now you are just being belligerent. Simultaneous: "1 : existing or occurring at the same time : exactly coincident"

As in, the "A" and and "B" keys were depressed simultaneously in the scenario I just described above. (It can be an adverb, too.)