+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

i760 and SlingBox HD

I have been reading on Phonescoop.com about how w/Verizon you can not use Slingbox and you can get thrown off of Verizon Wirless for using it... When I tired to order my i760 last night 1st of 6 tries the agent was like oh if you get the the $20 data plan added to your voice you can use it no problem. Now I know everyone on this site sticks to the rules but my question is do any of u guys use it? Should I get it or should I not????? I figured when it was dead in work I could catch up on some of my tivo

Searching for Perfect Converged Dev
    I've used Slingbox mobile on my i730 a bit without any issue. Technically it's a violation of their TOS, but I think you're fine if you don't abuse it by streaming several hours each day. I find the picture quality to be severely lacking on the i730 - it's small and of poor quality, so don't use it much but YMMV.

For the $20 data plan, you will use the data in a heartbeat. I would only use it with the "unlimited" plan.

Also if you do use it, you need to go direct to your house. I have heard Verizon is working on blocking the "lookup" servers that Sling uses to figure out your IP. But if you change the port, and go direct to your house, then how can Verizon know you are using Sling?

When I get my i760, remind me, and I will do a writeup about it and give detailed steps on going direct.

Thank you.. but the girl told me that the $20 plan was the unlimited plan.... plus youtelling me to go direct to my house is like garbel talk I have no idea.. funny thing is in a few months I'll be w/all you guys and be talking all the tech talk I CAN'T WAIT

Quote Originally Posted by JohnP007 View Post
    Thank you.. but the girl told me that the $20 plan was the unlimited plan.... plus youtelling me to go direct to my house is like garbel talk I have no idea.. funny thing is in a few months I'll be w/all you guys and be talking all the tech talk I CAN'T WAIT
    Think again, the $20 is LIMITED to like 20 MB. The $45/month plan is the "unlimited" (limited to 5GB per month).

Might want to check in to that, because you WILL hit your limit if you have a $20 plan, unless Verizon lowered their top tier rate down.

she told me total $100 for both data and phone was w/unlimited data..

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mrailing View Post
    For the $20 data plan, you will use the data in a heartbeat. I would only use it with the "unlimited" plan.

Also if you do use it, you need to go direct to your house. I have heard Verizon is working on blocking the "lookup" servers that Sling uses to figure out your IP. But if you change the port, and go direct to your house, then how can Verizon know you are using Sling?

When I get my i760, remind me, and I will do a writeup about it and give detailed steps on going direct.
    Thanks Michael,

I would be very interested in this. I am slinging the SOX and the YANKS on my PC as I type this.

A Geek, Of The Female Variety! gigglebyte's Avatar
    Michael,

How about the HAVA? With WiFi you don't need the data plan do you? Can't I just access the HAVA unit over the Wifi and stream it. I have the HAVA in my pc room and it just connects to my home network. I doesn't even use the internet. But when I go to my daughters can't I just access it thru her wireless network to my HAVA like she does now???? I do hope that I am making sense.
    One of the first "40" and am having fun playing with my new PDA phone the Samsung SCH-i760
    Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to authority is not using his intelligence; he is just using his memory. Leonardo da Vinci

WiFi is different, with WiFi you aren't using Verizon's network, unless of course the WAP is connected to Verizon DSL....

But with WiFi, it's using whatever ISP the WAP is on...

A Geek, Of The Female Variety! gigglebyte's Avatar
    Thank you Michael for letting me know that I was correct. So my understanding is that Wifi is for home, work, or hotspot, but on the way to those places you have to use data, and thus connecting to Verizon. Do you know how one goes about changing the port for HAVA? I just got my HAVA last week and it is great. Now I'm just waiting for my phone to arrive on Monday.

Again I'm so sorry that you unable to get your phone
    Last edited by gigglebyte; 09-15-2007 at 11:31 AM. Reason: adding more info
    One of the first "40" and am having fun playing with my new PDA phone the Samsung SCH-i760
    Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to authority is not using his intelligence; he is just using his memory. Leonardo da Vinci

Quote Originally Posted by JohnP007 View Post
    Just to further what Michael said, if you have a SB right now and are using it behind a company firewall at work, you would typically have to connect directly to the SB through your router's IP address and port number because many companies filter out Sling's lookup servers.

What?

One of the only reasons I want a Windows Mobile device is for Slingbox to stream REAL TV to my phone... My questions is...

With the Unlimited Data plan can I watch unlimited Slingbox? If not can I wantch it with other carriers? If so, which?

Quote Originally Posted by SCHi760 View Post
    One of the only reasons I want a Windows Mobile device is for Slingbox to stream REAL TV to my phone... My questions is...

With the Unlimited Data plan can I watch unlimited Slingbox? If not can I wantch it with other carriers? If so, which?
    You need to read the specific carriers terms of service for using their data networks. It specifically states what you can and can't do with their data plans. Using Slingbox on ANY carrier violates the TOS, and can result in immediate blockage of all Data and potentially voice plans.

Also with carriers you need to see what amount of data they allow. Verizon allows 5 GB of monthly transfer, and if you go over it they warn you, and if you do it more than once, they can/will cut you off (especially two consecutive months).

So, using Slingbox, you can use it, and any other data, on the 1x/EVDO network up to the 5GB of monthly transfer, and at that point, you either need to wait for another month, or potentially lose service.

There are two different ways to use Sling, one is direct to your IP and port. This is still in violation of TOS, since you are directly connecting to another server, and still streaming multimedia information. Second you can connect to Sling's servers which relay what your current IP is based upon your Finder ID. This is what Verizon will potentially block, or watch, since they know Slings' Finder ID servers.

So if you are planning on using Sling, once I write my guide, you will be able to connect directly to your Sling's IP, and bypass the finder ID server, and this will make it harder for Verizon to track your usage just via IP and port information.

Still you are limited by 5 GB of monthly transfer no matter which way you do it on Verizon's data plan, and potentially they may block the Finder ID servers on Sling's network.

Quote Originally Posted by mrailing View Post
    You need to read the specific carriers terms of service for using their data networks. It specifically states what you can and can't do with their data plans. Using Slingbox on ANY carrier violates the TOS, and can result in immediate blockage of all Data and potentially voice plans.

Also with carriers you need to see what amount of data they allow. Verizon allows 5 GB of monthly transfer, and if you go over it they warn you, and if you do it more than once, they can/will cut you off (especially two consecutive months).

So, using Slingbox, you can use it, and any other data, on the 1x/EVDO network up to the 5GB of monthly transfer, and at that point, you either need to wait for another month, or potentially lose service.

There are two different ways to use Sling, one is direct to your IP and port. This is still in violation of TOS, since you are directly connecting to another server, and still streaming multimedia information. Second you can connect to Sling's servers which relay what your current IP is based upon your Finder ID. This is what Verizon will potentially block, or watch, since they know Slings' Finder ID servers.

So if you are planning on using Sling, once I write my guide, you will be able to connect directly to your Sling's IP, and bypass the finder ID server, and this will make it harder for Verizon to track your usage just via IP and port information.

Still you are limited by 5 GB of monthly transfer no matter which way you do it on Verizon's data plan, and potentially they may block the Finder ID servers on Sling's network.
    How many hours is 5 GB

Quote Originally Posted by SCHi760 View Post
    How many hours is 5 GB
    I apologize for hijacking this thread since I am a bit of a noob on the board, but I asked a similar question on Sling's community forum when making my decision to wait it out for a Win Mo phone with VZW and this is one of the answers I got...

I am currently using slingplayer on my XV6700. To give you an example of what my usage is. I watch my slingplayer approximately 3 to 4 hours a week. For the period 7/16/07 to 8/1/07, 2 weeks worth, I had approximately 340mb of internet use which was comprised of about 90% to 95% of TV viewing. So for about 8 hours of viewing I used a third of a gig. Based on the above usage if you used the player 8 hours per day you would reach the 5gig limit within 15 days. It all depends on how much you plan on using your slingplayer if you will reach the limit or not. I hope this helps.

Epic Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by cutty15 View Post
    I apologize for hijacking this thread since I am a bit of a noob on the board, but I asked a similar question on Sling's community forum when making my decision to wait it out for a Win Mo phone with VZW and this is one of the answers I got...

I am currently using slingplayer on my XV6700. To give you an example of what my usage is. I watch my slingplayer approximately 3 to 4 hours a week. For the period 7/16/07 to 8/1/07, 2 weeks worth, I had approximately 340mb of internet use which was comprised of about 90% to 95% of TV viewing. So for about 8 hours of viewing I used a third of a gig. Based on the above usage if you used the player 8 hours per day you would reach the 5gig limit within 15 days. It all depends on how much you plan on using your slingplayer if you will reach the limit or not. I hope this helps.
    Not hijacking, thats good info. I use mine some but it's so sporadic that I really can't judge what my usage is.

Another thing to keep in mind is the bandwidth of your internet connection. If you say have DSL 256 up your usage is going to be lower than someone who say has Verizon Fios 15Mbit down / 2Mbit up as the slingbox adjusts the quality and frame rate based on your connection speed.

Epic Geek
    While we are talking about the slingbox here and tethering vs. not.

If the TOS doesn't give me anymore data, nor does it offer any different terms, why should I pay them $15 a month to tether my phone when I can do it for free with a 3rd party app.

Where is the incentive for me to hand them $15 more a month. $15 so they can sanction my tethered connection as approved?

Quote Originally Posted by depressedVZWuse View Post
    While we are talking about the slingbox here and tethering vs. not.

If the TOS doesn't give me anymore data, nor does it offer any different terms, why should I pay them $15 a month to tether my phone when I can do it for free with a 3rd party app.

Where is the incentive for me to hand them $15 more a month. $15 so they can sanction my tethered connection as approved?
    That is many of our reasoning. The only difference is that you are in violation of the TOS when tethering without the $15/month tethering fee.... But check out PDANet....

As far as usage, I am pretty sure we figured it being about 100MB/hour as a rough figure of using Slingbox on the i730. This was in an EVDO area, so you can probably make that assumption for the i760 as well.

When you have a Slingbox stored in your SlingMobile directory, does the client still hit the Sling servers for GUID to IP resolution to deal with DHCP lease life?
    -s

Sleeve, this depends. If you don't have a static IP or use DDNS, then you need to use the Finder ID.

In the writeup that I will work on the last week of September while I am on vacation, I will include information on how to create a DDNS, and use it instead of the Finder ID. Basically the Finder ID acts as a DDNS, but it uses Slings servers to find the IP, instead of using some publicly available ones that Verizon won't block...