+ Reply to Thread

One handed operation?

I've seen this post, but I am curious about how the i760 is for one-handed phone and PDA lookup use. e.g., getting to the dial screen, looking up a contact, checking email, etc. I rarely use the QWERTY for one-handed, so I'm not too worried about the wide slide-out keyboard.

Thanks!

I'm coming from a Treo 700WX and frankly I am a bit concerned about how I'm going to like using the i760. I do a lot of texting, yes, some 1-handed, on the Treo and that is my main concern about the i760.

Quote Originally Posted by mrpacs View Post
    I'm coming from a Treo 700WX and frankly I am a bit concerned about how I'm going to like using the i760. I do a lot of texting, yes, some 1-handed, on the Treo and that is my main concern about the i760.
    I haven't used the Treo 700w(x) much, but so far the text entry looks on the i760 looks quite capable.

Typing on the i760 numeric keypad while on the Today page launches the phone dialer and starts predictive selection from your contacts list. For example, if you type 5-3-6, it finds the names Jennifer, Ken, and Lenora in my contact list. This also works using the slide-out keyboard.

Predictive selection from the numeric keypad in apps like Notes isn't quite as good as some other smartphones. For WM6 Pro (including the i760) you must press the button until the letter you want is displayed (8-4-4-3-3 for the word "the"). As expected, a popup appears with common words starting with the current text input. True T9 style input would be better as you could type the same word with three key presses (8-4-3).

Windows Mobile 6 Standard can switch from multipress to T9 using *, but it looks like it will take a third-party utility to do it in Windows Mobile 6 Professional.