+ Reply to Thread

what is behind VZW's stubborn refusal to release the phone?

for the life of me, I don't understand VZW's refusal to release the phone. They've already got it in stock, as evidenced by the fact that a number of people on this forum were able to order it. And while they might have wanted to release it as of a certain date, now that it's been out, what in the world would be their motivation in waiting any more time before they do, in fact, finally put it up for sale?

I'd be convergered if only ... wodin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ronss View Post
    for the life of me, I don't understand VZW's refusal to release the phone.
    A Moto Q 9m 30 day excusive maybe?
    Don't mess with old futs...age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! B. S. and brilliance only come with age and experience!

What is behind Microsoft's stubborn refusal to release Halo 3 until the 25th?
    -s

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleeve View Post
    What is behind Microsoft's stubborn refusal to release Halo 3 until the 25th?

Sleeve,

Is Halo 3 a CDMA phone?.......lol

Call of Duty 4 will be out in November for PC's.

Quote Originally Posted by wodin View Post
    A Moto Q 9m 30 day excusive maybe?
    The irony is that, although the Q 9m and the i760 are in the same family, they're really very distant cousins. The Q 9m doesn't have a touch screen. Thus, IMHO, it plays to a totally different audience than the i760. I have no desire to own a phone without a touchscreen. So, any exclusivity arrangement regarding the Q 9m has absolutely no impact on my desire or decision to acquire an i760. Now, if the 6800 were released before the i760 and if there were an exclusivity agreement for the 6800, that would make more sense.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I think the exclusivity agreement for the Q 9m is overbroad. It should be limited to only other non-touchscreen PDA phones. Feel free to discuss amongst yourselves. . . . .
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

Das Uber Tech Geek
    Agreed. A Q9m has no impact on my i760 decision. Unless a 9m has a touchscreen it's not even in the ballpark.

From what I have heard, the Q9 has a 30 day exclusive on PDA Phone releases. This means no other PDA Phone. This is common in the world of carriers, and even though it's ready, they can't sell...

so, my (probably overly cynical) question is . . .

when the 24th comes and goes and still no release info, what will the next reason be for putting it off?

If the Q9m "exclusivity window" theory is true (and it appears somewhat speculative), it has nothing to do with the smartphone vs PPC debate.

What it's about is "mindshare." Monopolizing VZW's new release calendar helps MOT call attention to its latest and greatest, the Q9m and RAZR II.

An exclusivity period would only occur if MOT were desperate enough to have made material price/promo concessions to VZW in exchange.

Sadly, MOT's bobble-head twins aren't about to turn around this misguided supplier. With the skills and resources to lead the industry (including the PPC segment), MOT insists on shooting itself in the foot. As a result, CEO Ed Zander's in trouble.

To summarize, if i760's latest delay owes to Q9m exclusivity, then MOT bought it foolishly; it has precious little to sell.

--BAM
    Last edited by KBAM; 09-18-2007 at 03:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KBAM View Post
    If the Q9m "exclusivity window" theory is true (and it appears somewhat speculative), it has nothing to do with the smartphone vs PPC debate.

What it's about is "mindshare." Monopolizing VZW's new release calendar helps MOT call attention to its latest and greatest, the Q9m and RAZR II.

An exclusivity period would only occur if MOT were desperate enough to have made material price/promo concessions to VZW in exchange.

Sadly, MOT's bobble-head twins aren't about to turn around this misguided supplier. With the skills and resources to lead the industry (including the PPC segment), MOT insists on shooting itself in the foot. As a result, CEO Ed Zander's in trouble.

To summarize, if i760's latest delay owes to Q9m exclusivity, then MOT bought it foolishly; it has precious little to sell.

--BAM
    OUCH! That was harsh!

I read this threads title beyond the immediate delays... Q9 exclusivity aside I wonder why the phone was not released months ago... Was it to add a browser link that goes nowhere to the Today screen? I think not, That's the question I want to know the answer to... I think our Equus will be able to answer some of that when his NDA evaporates.
    Mark
    Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.

--BAM
    BAM, your post leads me to ask the question: Why hasn't MOTO put out a PDAPhone with a touchscreen?
    -Jay
    The Fine Print:Nothing in this post (or any of my other posts) is intended to constitute legal advice or the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For purposes of this forum, I'm just another nerd like you. :-)

politics are to blame for delay

I asked my friend who works for VZW (in Corporate) what the status of the i760 and also the SMT5800, and he said, "Delayed due to 'software issues.' Targeting mid Nov launch. I think Motorola paid us to let the new Q be the only device thru to the start of the holiday rush. Politics, not hardware, are the main problem."

Well, my contract is up at the end of November. So if I don't have a new VZW phone and contract renewal by then ... maybe I'll just have to take a second look at AT&T. With the ability to use jsut about any GSM phone and their coverage map showing good coverage (both basic and 3G) in my area ... the only issue I'd have keeping me from going to them is that all my friends and family are on VZW and they'd start being charged when ever we spoke over the cell phones (since I'd no longer be "IN").

pat----

Qualcomm vs. Broadcom

Maybe this has been brought up over the past several months, but it seems to have been forgotten. Could it be that in the interest of releasing a phone that is not immediately obsolete, Verizon held off on releasing the i760 until the Qualcomm/Broadcom suit was settled? I know there was an injunction keeping them from producing phones using the disputed chips, and I believe they were specifically attributed to the ability to use Rev. A. Samsung likely built the phone with the chips, didn't want to reengineer them just so that an early release might happen... yet they were legal held from distribution. Verizon, in the interest of preserving this phone and others, payed off Broadcom $200 mil just to use the disputed technology, and now Samsung can ramp up production.

Unless I am totally off base with this line of thought, I would bet that the i760 will be Rev. A upgradeable. This could also be the grounds for the FCC withholding of the build sheets.

Thoughts?

I won't go into the details, but...

Quote Originally Posted by bekman View Post
    Maybe this has been brought up over the past several months, but it seems to have been forgotten. Could it be that in the interest of releasing a phone that is not immediately obsolete, Verizon held off on releasing the i760 until the Qualcomm/Broadcom suit was settled? I know there was an injunction keeping them from producing phones using the disputed chips, and I believe they were specifically attributed to the ability to use Rev. A. Samsung likely built the phone with the chips, didn't want to reengineer them just so that an early release might happen... yet they were legal held from distribution. Verizon, in the interest of preserving this phone and others, payed off Broadcom $200 mil just to use the disputed technology, and now Samsung can ramp up production.

Unless I am totally off base with this line of thought, I would bet that the i760 will be Rev. A upgradeable. This could also be the grounds for the FCC withholding of the build sheets.

Thoughts?
    ...this has been discussed nigh unto death already (do a forum search if you want to read the details). The consensus among those apparently in the know around here is that the i760 was not impacted by the QC/BC mess. Your remarks about both Rev. A and the FCC are also not in line with what has been said to date, and there's plenty of discussion of those issues in the forum as well.

@beckman,

Believe the i760 was grandfathered as of the 06/07 cutoff date. This would be so if the device were "held for sale" at that time. (There was apparently no requirement that it be 'released' and available for purchase.)

The BRCM-QCOM dispute concerns power management IP; this affects 3G, but is not uniquely related to Rev A-capable devices. In any case, VZW's settlement with BRCM does not explain what will become a six month interval between FCC approval and release.

If the i760 has a Rev A chipset, then it had this architecture when submitted for FCC Equipment Authorization early this year.

@iProb8,

Technically, MOT has put out WM PPCs (GSM and iDEN/Nextel only), as it owns Symbol Tech. Still, Symbol's products are specialized, not very consumer friendly and fairly expensive. This is now starting to change.

It will probably be another year before MOT/Symbol can get it together for a competitive PPC.

Would add that, until the time of its purchase of Symbol (Fall '06), MOT was distracted with a misguided fight for global market share (vs Nokia) at the expense of 'solutions.' Its stumbles with the Q, over-reliance on the RAZR, and poor business results are ample evidence of a discouraging 3-year odyssey.

--BAM
    Last edited by KBAM; 09-19-2007 at 09:36 AM.

@iProb8,

Technically, MOT has put out WM PPCs (GSM and iDEN/Nextel only), as it owns Symbol Tech. Still, Symbol's products are specialized, not very consumer friendly and fairly expensive. This is now starting to change.

It will probably be another year before MOT/Symbol can get it together for a competitive PPC.

Would add that, until the time of its purchase of Symbol (Fall '06), MOT was distracted with a misguided fight for global market share (vs Nokia) at the expense of 'solutions.' Its stumbles with the Q, over-reliance on the RAZR, and poor business results are ample evidence of a discouraging 3-year odyssey.

--BAM
    Not to get too far off-topic, but I would think that MOT being a large company with lots of resources would see the wisdom investing in some R&D for a touchscreen PPC device and competing against Samsung and HTC. Guess thing if you or I were running the company.
    -Jay