Poll: Rate your i760!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    ...That Funky Monkey brassMONKEY's Avatar

i760 RATINGS AND REVIEWS!

Okay, if you HAVE the phone and would like to rate it and post a review, please do it here.

I rate the phone a 8 out of 10. Here is my review (revised as of 9/20/07)...

Size and Design
    Coming from a i730 I was really hoping that the next gen sammy would be considerably smaller/thinner and better designed than it's predecessor. I was hoping for more of a CDMA version of the i760's GSM cousin the "Ultra".
    While I LOVE the numeric keypad on the front, I think they really missed the mark on the horizontal slider. I became a pro at one-handed usage with the i730 and we took a step in the wrong direction here. I like the new placement of the stylus, but the stylus itself feels "cheaper", almost plastic-like. I like the placement and functionality of all of the buttons. The touch screen is different/better. There is more "play" in the screen, it's hard to explain, but I like it quite a bit better. 7 out of 10

Bluetooth
    As far as I can tell VZW did not disabled any bluetooth profiles! I've synced with my PC, laptop, headset and best of all my car. Syncing with my '07 BMW 550 was seamless and there were several features added that were not there when my i730 would sync. My phone and car are now talking perfectly (DUN profile) and it seems I have full functionality. 10 out of 10

Memory/Micro SD Card
    I purchased the 4GB card from Verizon for $75 (includes Merits discount). As has been previously posted, the phone would not read the card initially. I had to install the new drivers nemanracing posted and restart the phone to get the phone to read the card. Once I did, everything worked great. I moved most of my programs over from my old SD card and every is working perfectly. Plenty of room for my favorite apps, tunes and a few flicks! 9 out of 10

Tethering
    I've only tried pdanet and it did not work at first. -Once you upgrade (upgrade is free) to 1.80 (PdaNet -- Use your Treo smartphone as a Wireless Modem for your PC) everything works great! The included data cable DOES NOT charge your phone while it's connected. 8 out of 10

Speed and Stability
    Thus far the processor is great. There doesnt seem to be near the lag in the device as in it's predecessor. I've already installed several apps and no problems. No resets yet! A few minor quirks I've noticed are if you type really fast, it might take a minute to process. Also, when switching from landscape to portrait occasionally part of the screen will freeze from the previous view. Not a big deal. 8 out of 10

User Interface
    WM6 seems to work quite a bit better than WM5/WM2003. The OS works well and the lay out is quite a bit more "logical" than in previous versions. I really like the functionality of all of the buttons (i730 buttons didnt make much sense to me). Again, I LOOOOOOVE the numeric keyboard on the front of the device. This is definitely more of a great phone/PDAcombo, whereas the i730 was a great PDA with a lousy phone attached.
    It took me some time, but I love being able to dial contacts by name (after bringing up the phone dialer, pressing "726" brings up "Randy's" home, office and cell; all one-handed without opening the slider). I also enjoy being able to text (SMS) from the front dialer. -Just like you would on your RAZR or regular phone. 9 out of 10

Call/Voice Quality
    Sounds every bit as good as my RAZR2, which is the best I've owned. Speaker phone through bluetooth in my car is a little quieter/softer, but still good. 9 out of 10

Speaker Phone (internal speakers)
    Sounds great, much better than before. No complaints. 9 out of 10

Camera/Camcorder
    Pictures and video look about as you'd expect. Nothing great but does the job. An upgrade from the no cam/video on the i730, but not as good as it could/should be for this type of device. 6 out of 10

Battery
    Battery life is big time improvement over weak i730 standard. The super thin extended batter is awesome! A HUGE improvement over the HUGE i730 extended battery. 8 out of 10

Satisfaction/Enjoyment of Use
    MUCH easier/more enjoyable to use than the i730. I dont know if ANYTHING would have been worth the wait since we first saw this sucka at CES waaaay back in January, but I am impressed and enjoying every i760 minute! 8 out of 10

Cost/Value
    I paid $300 which included my NE2 and advanced device discounts. There was also a $50 MIR included, so that brings the final cost down to $250. While I would have happily paid twice as much, this price point seems to be right in line with other comparable devices. No cradle/charger and no holster definitely sucks. 9 out of 10
    Last edited by brassMONKEY; 09-20-2007 at 02:44 AM.

Good, but not great. Of course, time will tell as I use it more. I'll post more of a review tomorrow if my call is slow.... Biggest downside to me is turning it on and off. That little button on top just doesn't cut it...
    Jeremiah 29:11

Thanks for the review, brassMONKEY. Looking forward to insights from others to tide us over!

...That Funky Monkey brassMONKEY's Avatar
    I'm going into my third day and I have to admit it just keeps getting better and better! With the exception of email (and SMS) I can do just about everything one handed! The key for me was the predictive text for bringing up contacts in the phone's dialer. For example if I want to call my attorney, Randy, I bring up the dialer and dial 726 for "RAN" and then select Randy's home, office or cell number. I'd still perfer the vertical slider, but I am definitely getting used to everything. This sucka is a huuuuuge improvement over the i730! In fact, assuming we can get the tethering work around fixed, I'd changed my rating to an 8 out of 10...

Wanna bet half the people voting don't actually have one yet?

The more I use the phone the more I like it...It is so much different than the I730, When you first get it you try and use it the same way but it took about 2 days to learn all the new buttons.

Fully Converged
    So far i have rated the phone good but not great... I like the phone and probably would use it more if... I did not already have a higher aku wm6 on my xv6700. I had to use drivers from a different device to get SDHC to work as it does not out of the box. The memory on the rom/ram is not upgraded in size from the i730. The camera is only a 1.3mp cam, while most new devices now have a 2.0mp(my LG VX8700 with 2.0MP cam took awesome pix). The i760 is not EVDO Rev A upgradeable. And only time with tell if the AGPS gets unlocked to be used with VZNav when it becomes availiable for pda's... Now with the imminent release of the XV6800 with a better processor(dual core 133mhz for phone and 400mhz for pda), more rom(256mb), SDHC out of the box, 2.0MP cam, upgradeable to EVDO Rev A and AGPS unlocking for use with VZNav in a future OS release. I will be passing on the i760 when the XV6800 is released. So if anyone wants dibs on a like new i760 pm and we'll talk about price... Otherwise it'll be on ebay when the XV6800 is out...

All that said... The Samsung i760 is a very solid device that performs well, just should have been released 6 months or so ago to be great...
    Last edited by Nemanracing; 09-19-2007 at 02:12 AM.
    XV6900 Custom WM6.1, 8GB microSDHC
    History:WM6.1 XV6800w/GPS,XV6700 WM6.1,Samsung i760,Moto Q9m,Moto Q,XV6700,VZW Treo 700WX, Treo 700W,Samsung i730,XV6600,Treo 650,Treo 600,Kyocera 7135

Good luck with that 6800... it probably won't really be any more updated that the i760 when released by VZW... HOWEVER... there is aways the community that will take care of everyone with newer rom updates thanks to HTC.

I may end up there some day myself.. I am pretty satisfied so far, but even the best device will wane in my eyes because I like shiny new stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by brassMONKEY View Post
    The key for me was the predictive text for bringing up contacts in the phone's dialer. For example if I want to call my attorney, Randy, I bring up the dialer and dial 726 for "RAN" and then select Randy's home, office or cell number.
    Can you do the same by using the front/vertical hard buttons or is that what you are referring to?

does anyone think the call quality is bad? everyone sounds "tinny" and scratchy...

The i760 is not EVDO Rev A upgradeable.

Can someone please explain this to me? I'm axiously awaiting the i760, can't seem to get any info on it in NH, even from the Verizon company stores.

Thanks!

I have not had issues with call quality. In fact it seems to be on par with the previous phones I have had, if not better than a few like the Q.

I have heard in fringe areas where you are seeing 1 or less bars of signal, the quality seems to drop and sound more "compressed".

Quote Originally Posted by cgilbert View Post
    The i760 is not EVDO Rev A upgradeable.

Can someone please explain this to me? I'm axiously awaiting the i760, can't seem to get any info on it in NH, even from the Verizon company stores.

Thanks!
    It is mentioned in MANY threads here. EVDO Rev A is the new standard of data transmission. It will be a tad faster on download, and faster on uploading data. A device must have a EVDO Rev A radio in it to be compatible with EVDO Rev A. EVDO Rev A is backwards compatible with EVDO Rev 0 (which is what the i760, i730, 6700, and other EVDO devices have in them). Which means even though Verizon has upgraded their towers to EVDO Rev A, we can still connect.

Currently as what has been reported, the 6800 will have EVDO Rev A radio in it, but it won't ship with the ability to use EVDO Rev A, you will be stuck at EVDO Rev 0 speeds. This in the future will be upgradable to EVDO Rev A with a firmware update, that will happen whenever Verizon deems it ready for an upgrade. The i760 however will always be stuck at EVDO Rev 0 speeds, since it can't be upgraded to EVDO Rev A.

I don't mind this personally, because I think in the next year we will see LOTS of other devices coming out, better PDA Devices, all with EVDO Rev A. I see the i760 as a intermediate device, much like I saw the i730 (but I did have it for 2 years, and am still using it). So I could see myself using the i760 for about a year, possibly longer, and when better devices are released, I could see myself upgrading at that point. The i730 is the longest I have kept a phone...

Now with EVDO Rev A, the download speeds are marginally better. We aren't talking a HUGE upgrade, and download is what the majority of people will be using it for. Upload speeds are almost double, but I don't see a lot of people using upload directly on their i760, unless they are tethering to a PC.

We have yet to see the benefits of EVDO Rev A on a PDA device. Who knows, the PDA itself might be a limiting factor in the speed and it just can't process the information as fast as it comes in. EVDO Rev A currently isn't on an handhelds (I should say "active" on any handhelds), and once it becomes active, we will see the difference, but who knows when this will be.

Personally I wouldn't pass up a device just because it did NOT have EVDO Rev A, but it would be one of the things on a short list I would like to see on my next PDA Phone, but it isn't required. EVDO suits me fine for what I do. I don't browse much on the web. I can sling just fine over EVDO Rev 0, I get my e-mail at a decent speed, and tethering is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by one028 View Post
    does anyone think the call quality is bad? everyone sounds "tinny" and scratchy...

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y11.../IMG_0982.snip
    How is the call sound quality compared to the i730? I remember when my x6700 keyboard died and I switched to the i730 the i730 definitely sounded very "tinny" compared to the x6700.

Michael, thanks for the terrific explaination. My main concern was whether or not I should wait. I've had a Q for a couple of years and even though I've been involved with the Q forum, I've never heard of EVDO rev #. I guess I've been using rev 0 with the Q without a problem.

Thanks again!

Does the I760 work in Europe

Can't get it yet here (24th is release date they say), so I'll need to take the I830 and then replace it if the I760 is GSM compatible. anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by barbi View Post
    Can't get it yet here (24th is release date they say), so I'll need to take the I830 and then replace it if the I760 is GSM compatible. anyone know?
    No, currently they are only offering two PDA devices that are GSM capable, the i830 and a blackberry (which one I don't know, I don't follow BBs).

They aren't compatible with GSM in the USA, just over seas...

I830 & I730 replaced with I760?

thanks
    I had heard they were replacing the I830 & I730 with the I760 and it would be GSM equiped. any plans for that? How about the XV6800, will it be GSM?

I've only had mine for about a day but there are a couple things that I haven't seen anyone comment on that I thought I'd post. First off, I think brassMONKEY was pretty spot on with his review. The only disagreement I have is about the horizontal slider. I personally LOVE the new slider, but I think that will always be subjective to the person reviewing.
    -The first thing I noticed right off is if you use a leather case like I do, you NEED to use the software locker function. I never used it on my i730, I always just used the physical lock. With the i760, when you hit the power button to lock it, it will unlock as soon as the slider moves slightly (and it does that constantly with a horizontal case.)
    -The picsel browser DOES work for the internet. It's exactly like the i730 version. You can't initiate the data connection with it, but once you use IE to start the connection, you can use picsel browser on the internet.
    -The IE homepage has changed to a VZ interface with quick links. Although most people won't care, I'm a sports nut and I went crazy with my i730 because I never took the time to set it up to have easy access to scores and such. Now I can access all of the scores and even my fantasy team in two clicks.
    -The screen is soft like people have said before, but it looks very crisp and the softness adds the the ease of use. As brassMONKEY said, it's hard to describe, but I think it works well.
    -I really like the new feature where you can have your software phone pad colors match your theme. It doesn't make much difference now that we have an external keypad, but it's still a nice touch (and you don't have to hack anything to do it!)
    These are just a few things that stuck out in my mind. I'm sure more people will come up with things good and bad that I forgot.
    Looking forward to http://www.whoneedsaniphone.com/ talk about the best of both worlds...

I went from the i730 to a brief stint with a Q9m and now to the i760. I really got used to the one handed use of the Q and almost didn't miss the stylus. This gives me a good ability to test the "one-handedness" of the i760 in comparison.

I naturally use a pda/phone left handed. I am right handed, but for some reason that is the way I do it. I think it is more naturally set up for a right hander with the placement of the wheel and numbers. However, I think it is just fine for me. I actually like the buttons, with the exception of the soft tab buttons just above the silver wheel. It's fine, but you have to get used to their placement in correlation to the location of the soft tabs on the screen.

On the right side, the top button is for start, and if you press-hold it activates voice command. Middle button is for OK (more about that later), and bottom button is for camera. On the top is the power button, and on the left side is the volume rocker.

The only mappable buttons are the start button/voice command (short and long press), the camera button (long press), and the mail button on the keyboard. Cannot map the OK button, or modify short/long presses on the rest. (at least for now.... That limits some of the one-handed shortcuts I enjoyed on the i730. I haven't tried any of the button mapping programs yet.

The silver wheel works well and navigates easily. Button in the middle of the wheel is nicely responsive IMHO. Dial pad works as you would expect. They are tightly placed, but the only issue is sometimes I hit the 4 instead of the 5. But the clear button above the wheel is nicely placed!

You can do basically anything in portrait mode, but for email or sms--you are going to use the muti-tap presses like a typical cell phone. But it can be done, and more importantly, one-handed. No T9 typing, though

The keyboard takes a little getting used to. Keys are a little different. I'm actually not used to something so big, coming from the i730 and Q9. But you can type fast once you get the hang of it. But you can't use it one handed, at least not comfortably. Screen lags one second going to landscape, but not too bad.

Send/End not a problem for me--I've not accidentally called or hung up on anyone...yet.

Biggest downside to me is the power on/off button on top. It is small and flush, but I guess it has to be to avoid accidental hitting. However, it is the only way to turn it on--short of sliding it open in the unlocked mode. And it is the only way to turn it off without letting it time out. My exchange server requires a locking code every 10 min, but it is an easy numeric number used by the key pad on front.

It does have a "numlocker". Yea!

Locking it doesn't seem to provide much, except accidental presses if it slides open on you. Once off, no touches activate the phone unless you slide it open or receive a call, or connect a BT device. To me it is a bit cumbersome to hit the little button on top one handed.

Boot up is significantly shorter for me vs. the i730. When you have to soft reset as often as I had to with the i730, that is a nice thing!

I loaded:
    Pocket Bible
    SlingPlayer (doesn't work in landscape/full screen mode)
    SPB Products: Mobile Shell, Phone Suite, Time, Pocket Plus, Backup
    Thunderhawk (puts the screen in the wrong orientation)
    Live Search
    TCPMP
    eWallet
    ePocrates
    LogMeIn's plug-in
    WM6 Remote Desktop (haven't worked out the kinks yet...)

These run fine except the above comments.

Can't use the i730 accessories. Bummer. Cradle (purchased separately) is a beast, but will double charge (phone and extra battery) if you buy another charging cord (i.e. it requires its own travel charger). I cradle at work (charge and sync) and charge at home, therefore I need 2 charging cords.

Can't really comment on battery life, but using the standard battery and regular use---it's going to suck the battery. I have to charge nightly, and I can tell with heavy use---I'll have to charge more and keep the spare battery handy. But I am "playing around" a lot with it right now...

Speakerphone works great. Camera is really nice---better than any 1.3 MP cameraphone I have seen. Controls are available from the numeric pad---that's a really nice feature---and present on the screen. Zooming in and out is easy from the silver wheel--but only digital, so take that for what it is worth. Camcorder is so-so.

The OK button on the side only minimizes, it doesn't actually close programs. Even if you have Pocket Plus installed like I do. That's why I would love to be able to map that button to "close" (one of the mappable functions of Pocket Plus).

Overall, I like the device. Speed seems sufficient, but I wouldn't say it is a lot better than the i730 (of course I ran SD's Autostep!). Boot up much quicker. One-handedness seems fine for me. Keyboard is good for emails and long SMSing. Form is good---fits in the pocket way better than the i730, but it is still a mini-brick. Top power button is a big downer--maybe that will improve with use, but that is my biggest complaint. Mini-stylus is fine for me.

I kinda miss my Q. If I didn't have a ton of programs, a few of which are much better on the PPC, I would go back. I loved the thinness and simplicity of it. But, it doesn't do all the functions the PPC can do. As far as PPCs, this is the best VzW has to offer (I'm married to their CS and coverage/quality) and is a step up, if for form only, from the i730. (and I do miss my portrait keyboard...)
    Jeremiah 29:11