+ Reply to Thread

i760 vs. Treo 700WX

Any lucky owners of i760 who also have used the Treo 700W/WX , please post your comparisons between the 2 phones especially with regard to size and phone clarity, BT. Thanks!

bump............

Quote Originally Posted by mrpacs View Post
    Any lucky owners of i760 who also have used the Treo 700W/WX , please post your comparisons between the 2 phones especially with regard to size and phone clarity, BT. Thanks!
    I havea 700wx and just got the i760.

Size and thickness is similar overall, if you lop off the treo extrernal antenna. i760 about an ounce lighter. i760 screen is clearl bigger though with a better resolution.

My issue with it so far is one-handedness I got used to on the Treo. I could do everything one-hand on the treo.

The front dialpad makes this a fine one-hand device as a PHONE, in comparision to say a 6700. However, it does not touch the Treo in one-hand use as a PDA. Need to open the slider for SMS or email typing which kills the one-handedness.

Call quality and volume are better than the treo I would say. BT stack also seem much better (2.0 with every prefile imaginable - this thing bonds with anything and holds it like a mother lion protecting her cubs).

In short it has a lot of great features - bigger screen, wi-fi, html email..

If 1-hand use is only important to you for a PHONE I'd say go for it. If you need complete 1-hand use, it may not meet your expectations.

Having said all this, much the one-handed issues may end up being fixed by 3rd party software or hacks. However, who knows.. by then the 800w might be out. I have 30 days to make up my mind.

Hey everyone!

Well I was indeed one of the lucky ones to get their hands on a i760 sooner than I was supposed to. I received the phone yesterday and have used it a over the last 2 days now. I have some thoughts on functionality, etc coming from / currently still owning a Treo 700wx.

Here are my thoughts:

- Front Dial Key Pad: This is one of the main reasons I bought this phone. To have Windows Mobile functionality and bigger buttons for numbers with text on them for vanity numbers, etc.

- Screen: Bigger than the Treo and much brighter and more Crisp! Love the screen!

- Looks: The phone is actually very appealing looks wise.

- Form Factor / Build: Phone fits nicely in my hand, but the Treo was nice too. Both feel similar in weight with i760 being slightly lighter. i760 seems to have a better metal-like build quality to it. Overall dimensions are similar.

- Camera: Has tons of options for a cell phone camera, a flash, and is almost like a regular digital in you can take Sepia, black and white pics, etc. Kinda fun!

DISLIKES:

- Front Dial Key Pad: While I like the fact they are there, for whatever reason I was under the impression they might be bigger or more legible. Also, I REALLY dislike how the "Soft Key" buttons are off-centered to the left side as is the clear button. I really find it hard to get used to and quite annoying. The Treo "Soft Keys" are perfect in that they are right under the menu buttons they correspond with on the screen. Same goes for the "Soft Keys" on the slide out keyboard. They just feel out of place. 700wx layout just feels more natural...

- Send & End Keys: Really awkward place... they are easy to hit when handling the phone, yet when I do want to use them they feel hard to get to and press. Another very annoying thing when compared to 700wx that I feel has keys in perfect area.

- Windows & OK Keys: Again, maybe I'm just REALLY used to the 700wx, but on the i760 they are both little black buttons on the side of the phone and I feel like I'm searching for them when trying to press them... again, more annoying than anything else. I like the fact those buttons are front and center on the 700wx right under my main menu "soft key" buttons.

- Slide Out Keyboard: While I kind of like the slide out keyboard functionality, I don't like the soft mushy keys. Feels like I have to press harder on them to get input on screen and I can already see the keyboard wearing out quicker (Ex: letters wearing off keys, soft plastic wear, etc.) Again, I never thought I would say I like the Treo keyboard better and am used to the one handed text typing with it... I can even do 2-handed text typing with my Treo also comfortably.

- Phone Call Functionality: This is going to be the deal breaker for me. When you type in a contact's name on the front dial pad, you get your list of contacts as you should which is fine. However it only lists their main/ default / last called number On the 700wx when you start typing a name, it brings up the contacts with ALL of their numbers underneath it so I can just scroll down to the number I need without having to open the contact, etc. I looked through all the setting and view options and didn't see a way to make the i760 display all the numbers when spelling a name from the Today screen like my 700wx, but I could have missed something and be totally wrong on this. Was this part of the special Today screen Palm created with WM5? In any event, this is something Ive grown to LOVE on my 700wx and don't want to "go back" in call functionality.

CONCLUSION:

I REALLY wanted to love this phone and have been following it for almost a year like many of you on here. The bottom line is I want a phone first and a PDA second, this still falls short of the Treo 700WX for ease of one-handed use and WM call features. If there is something I'm missing to make this more 700wx like on the Today screen, please let me know ASAP and I will give this phone more time to try. While I understand there will be a learning curve with any new phone or technology, the layout of the buttons and the call functionality kill it for me... but thats just personal opinion. For those that haven't used a Treo 700w/wx, this might be just what you were looking for! Its not a bad phone at all! Just not gonna fit my needs, likes or preferences.

I might take a look at the XV5800 when it hits Verizon as the non-touch screen isn't a deal breaker for me, but the buttons are centered on the front dial pad and I think there are OK and Windows keys on the front as well, but again I could be wrong. If not... it looks like I'll be waiting on the rumored 800w... and that might not even be any good... who knows!

Hope this is informative to some! Feel free to ask questions, I'm happy to answer!

GREAT replies all thank you.

Epic Geek
    Quote Originally Posted by HKINGS View Post
    - Phone Call Functionality: This is going to be the deal breaker for me. When you type in a contact's name on the front dial pad, you get your list of contacts as you should which is fine. However it only lists their main/ default / last called number On the 700wx when you start typing a name, it brings up the contacts with ALL of their numbers underneath it so I can just scroll down to the number I need without having to open the contact, etc. I looked through all the setting and view options and didn't see a way to make the i760 display all the numbers when spelling a name from the Today screen like my 700wx, but I could have missed something and be totally wrong on this. Was this part of the special Today screen Palm created with WM5?
    Yes, the Palm contact integration with WM5 is something they implemented exceptionally well. And anyone who has not used a Palm WM device would not understand exactly how well that works.

I am really disappointed to read this portion of your post (not in you personally but in the revelation) in that I really hoped that the WM6 implementation of contacts would be much improved over WM5.

I am really souring on this phone, and it appears that Verizon may be sorely disappointed that they didn't just allow the phones to go, because the reality of this device does not appear to be anywhere in the vicinity of the hype it has caused.

Question and if i need tostart a new post then so be it.

With the new 700wx updater is anyone reconsidering keeping their 700wx in leau of an i760? Tech. support has offered to exchange my treo for the i760, but with the updater most of my issues are now gone and i may consider waiting for the 800w. Any thoughts

I'm going to try the i760 once it's REALLY available to the general public and see how it compares to the 700WX. If I feel that it suits my needs better than the WX does, I'll keep the sucker. If not, it's going back to VZW.

Quote Originally Posted by copperharbor2 View Post
    Question and if i need tostart a new post then so be it.

With the new 700wx updater is anyone reconsidering keeping their 700wx in leau of an i760? Tech. support has offered to exchange my treo for the i760, but with the updater most of my issues are now gone and i may consider waiting for the 800w. Any thoughts
    Tech support has offered this to you NOW? The i760 is not supposed to be released till Monday. Can you PM the name of the person you talked to? Thanks!

BTW - sorry, but I have neither the Treo nor the i760, so I can't answer your question.