+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MMS Messaging

MMS Messaging

I am wanting to use the MMS feature with the i760 but I do not want to pay for a data plan. I am not sure how to do this. We should be able to send and recieve MMS just like SMS if we just have the unlimited messaging plan which I do. Any advice?

According to an earlier post in another thread. You need to have the data plan in order for the MMS to work. I am sure there is a work around but unfortunately with not that many phones being in the wild yet you'll have to wait to see how to do it?

Another question? Why have this phone without Data? Isn't that the main reason for having this?

I am almost always in range of a WiFi spot so I don't want to spend the $50 per month for the data. I never needed it with the i730.

Well, since the MMS message comes across Verizon's data network, and if you have data blocked, and it requires data, I would say that to use MMS, you will need some type of data through Verizon.

If the MMS come through the Verizon Data, then how does a phone like the Razr get MMS? I can send and recieve MMS just fine with my Razr and no data package, just unlimited text package. I hope once there are more phone out, we can figure out a way to send and recieve MMS without data. Thanks for all your help.

I assume "normal" phones use the data network. Razr's have that little EV symbol by the signal for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorf View Post
    I assume "normal" phones use the data network. Razr's have that little EV symbol by the signal for a reason.
    You would be correct!

You are incorrect sir.

The e815, i730, i760, V3m, etc all use the same data network.

Verizon bills feature phones and smartphones differently. For example on an EnV if you connect to say mobile web you will be billed airtime. This is known as MOU or minutes only use. When people send a picture on the feature phones it gets billed as normal airtime (or your allotted minutes each month).

Verizon bills smartphones on a kilobyte basis. For example if I connect to the internet on a pay as you go plan instead of getting a data plan it will not be billed as airtime, but instead as the expensive per kilobyte rate.

Verizon did this so they can rake in huge sums of money from business users that need a fast and consistent internet connection. Other then that you're SOL in terms of MMS on your device.

On my Treo 650 i have data blocked. When I get a picture message it gets sent to pixplace and I get a message telling me to log onto www.vzwpix.com to retrieve it. Not fun, but it's better then 45$ a month.

There is a work around for it as far as i know,
    if u have a plan that includes intent messages and picture messages then the data that is used for MMS messages is not counted in the cost of the bill. This say u send 15 mms messages u it counts as "x" many kilobytes though when u get a bill the "x" number of kilobytes that are used for mms messaging is subtracted from the bill because u have unlimited texting.

(at least thats what the Verizon Rep. told me)

Yeah, good luck getting that correctly billed every month...

Quote Originally Posted by cybrwulf View Post
    Yeah, good luck getting that correctly billed every month...
    The funny thing is... i do (well at least for now)

Ok, so I figured I would give it a try and sent and recieved some MMS messages. My I760 showed I was using the EV data network. I checked my account on line and it showed pix/flix sent and recieved, no data used. So I guess they do know how to differentiate it.

I plan on getting this phone without the Data plan, does this sound like bad idea? I mean I can still use my unlimited text, pix, and flix messaging plan that's 10 bucks a month right? I want this phone mainly because I want the function of a solid PDA and at school I have Wi-fi everywhere, so i have no need for the data plan, even if it is faster.

yea I got the same situation as you jayizdaman. I'm living at a school ware it is impossible to not be in a wifi hot spot. Not getting a data plan saves a lot of money. I don't really see any reason why I would need one, can anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by frenchie View Post
    You are incorrect sir.

The e815, i730, i760, V3m, etc all use the same data network.

Verizon bills feature phones and smartphones differently. For example on an EnV if you connect to say mobile web you will be billed airtime. This is known as MOU or minutes only use. When people send a picture on the feature phones it gets billed as normal airtime (or your allotted minutes each month).

Verizon bills smartphones on a kilobyte basis. For example if I connect to the internet on a pay as you go plan instead of getting a data plan it will not be billed as airtime, but instead as the expensive per kilobyte rate.

Verizon did this so they can rake in huge sums of money from business users that need a fast and consistent internet connection. Other then that you're SOL in terms of MMS on your device.

On my Treo 650 i have data blocked. When I get a picture message it gets sent to pixplace and I get a message telling me to log onto www.vzwpix.com to retrieve it. Not fun, but it's better then 45$ a month.
    Are you sure? Those phones can still be using the data network, but Verizon does not charges you via the txt/mms plan you have. The MMS message are still travelling over the datanetwork, they just do the billing different for phones...

Are you sure? Those phones can still be using the data network, but Verizon does not charges you via the txt/mms plan you have. The MMS message are still travelling over the datanetwork, they just do the billing different for phones...

I'm very sure. It's all about control. On a PDA you can install Opera Mini and Slingmobile and pull a ton of data. On a normal phone you can install install what Verizon tells you to (GIN). So they want people who have choice to pay the premium for that and they know what device you are using through the ESN.