+ Reply to Thread

Thumbs down Samsung i760 Mini-Review (compared vs 700wx)

Hey everyone!

Well I was indeed one of the lucky ones to get their hands on a i760 sooner than I was supposed to. I received the phone yesterday and have used it a over the last 2 days now. I have some thoughts on functionality, etc coming from / currently still owning a Treo 700wx.

Here are my thoughts:

- Front Dial Key Pad: This is one of the main reasons I bought this phone. To have Windows Mobile functionality and bigger buttons for numbers with text on them for vanity numbers, etc.

- Screen: Bigger than the Treo and much brighter and more Crisp! Love the screen!

- Looks: The phone is actually very appealing looks wise.

- Form Factor / Build: Phone fits nicely in my hand, but the Treo was nice too. Both feel similar in weight with i760 being slightly lighter. i760 seems to have a better metal-like build quality to it. Overall dimensions are similar.

- Camera: Has tons of options for a cell phone camera, a flash, and is almost like a regular digital in you can take Sepia, black and white pics, etc. Kinda fun!

DISLIKES:

- Front Dial Key Pad: While I like the fact they are there, for whatever reason I was under the impression they might be bigger or more legible. Also, I REALLY dislike how the "Soft Key" buttons are off-centered to the left side as is the clear button. I really find it hard to get used to and quite annoying. The Treo "Soft Keys" are perfect in that they are right under the menu buttons they correspond with on the screen. Same goes for the "Soft Keys" on the slide out keyboard. They just feel out of place. 700wx layout just feels more natural...

- Send & End Keys: Really awkward place... they are easy to hit when handling the phone, yet when I do want to use them they feel hard to get to and press. Another very annoying thing when compared to 700wx that I feel has keys in perfect area.

- Windows & OK Keys: Again, maybe I'm just REALLY used to the 700wx, but on the i760 they are both little black buttons on the side of the phone and I feel like I'm searching for them when trying to press them... again, more annoying than anything else. I like the fact those buttons are front and center on the 700wx right under my main menu "soft key" buttons.

- Slide Out Keyboard: While I kind of like the slide out keyboard functionality, I don't like the soft mushy keys. Feels like I have to press harder on them to get input on screen and I can already see the keyboard wearing out quicker (Ex: letters wearing off keys, soft plastic wear, etc.) Again, I never thought I would say I like the Treo keyboard better and am used to the one handed text typing with it... I can even do 2-handed text typing with my Treo also comfortably.

- Phone Call Functionality: This is going to be the deal breaker for me. When you type in a contact's name on the front dial pad, you get your list of contacts as you should which is fine. However it only lists their main/ default / last called number On the 700wx when you start typing a name, it brings up the contacts with ALL of their numbers underneath it so I can just scroll down to the number I need without having to open the contact, etc. I looked through all the setting and view options and didn't see a way to make the i760 display all the numbers when spelling a name from the Today screen like my 700wx, but I could have missed something and be totally wrong on this. Was this part of the special Today screen Palm created with WM5? In any event, this is something Ive grown to LOVE on my 700wx and don't want to "go back" in call functionality.

CONCLUSION:

I hate to return the i760, but that's what I'm going to end up doing. I REALLY wanted to love this phone and have been following it for almost a year like many of you on here. The bottom line is I want a phone first and a PDA second, this still falls short of the Treo 700WX for ease of one-handed use and WM call features. If there is something I'm missing to make this more 700wx like on the Today screen, please let me know ASAP and I will give this phone more time to try. While I understand there will be a learning curve with any new phone or technology, the layout of the buttons and the call functionality kill it for me... but thats just personal opinion. For those that haven't used a Treo 700w/wx, this might be just what you were looking for! Its not a bad phone at all! Just not gonna fit my needs, likes or preferences.

I might take a look at the XV5800 when it hits Verizon as the non-touch screen isn't a deal breaker for me, but the buttons are centered on the front dial pad and I think there are OK and Windows keys on the front as well, but again I could be wrong. If not... it looks like I'll be waiting on the rumored 800w... and that might not even be any good... who knows!

Hope this is informative to some! Feel free to ask questions, I'm happy to answer!

PM me before you return the phone.

Enterprise Data Architect Mark_A_K's Avatar
    Hey,

YOu do relize that you have posted this post twice on HOFO and twice on PDAPHONEHOME?

I think we get it you dont like the device.

Sell it to someone like me or better yet MRailing that will appreciate it!!!!!!!!!!

I couldn't imagine going back to my 700wx after using this... Everyone is entitled to their opinion though.

People that need a phone before the pda features need to stick with the Smartphone/Windows Mobile Standard platform...

Doh! Sorry!

Yeah, I know I posted it twice, but just hoped the info would be appreciated. I wasn't trying to rag on the phone, just offer insight on my experience and comparison with another phone.

From the few PMs Ive received it looks like I might sell it to one of you guys but my contract was extended 2 years already for buying it, so thats the only downfall, plus I used my "New Every 2" on it.

Thanks for the comparison, HKINGS. I switched to the 700wx after my 730 died. I was planning on dumping it as soon as the 760 came out but I've grown to really like the one-handed use and the well thought out layout of the buttons. I also use the lookup feature often and would hate to lose that functionality. From what I've been reading so far about the 760, and it's certainly VERY early, I've decided to wait a few months after the release and see what everyone's experience is with these issues - especially since I'll have to pay full retail for it.

I have a couple of questions about a few things that bother me about the 700wx and was wondering if these were resolved in the 760:

1. The bluetooth connection sometimes drops when I put the phone in standby (hit the end button so that the screen turns off). Does the 760 do this?

2. How does internet explorer work compared to the 700wx? Do you see any difference in how it renders a standard web page? How does it do with Flash and other embedded video?

3. Have you tried email? How does html email work?

4. The wifi on my 730 was a bit hinky. Have you had any problems with connecting to a wireless router? Can you send and receive calls with the wifi connected?

5. Have you tried a bluetooth connection to a car? A Lexus by any chance? Will it show the battery and signal strength on the car? Does Voice Command work over bluetooth?

6. Have you tried stereo over bluetooth?

7. Bluetooth DUN without having to use a third party app works very well on the 700wx. It appears that pdaNet 1.8 will work on the 760 based on another post I read but have you tried setting up a DUN profile with bluetooth without using a third party app?

8. I read in another post that Slingplayer in landscape mode doesn't work on the 760. Have you tried this by any chance?

I might be inclined to jump to the 760 if bluetooth is rock solid and works fully in my car and if the html email works well.

The Kid
    I also own a 700wx. One of the things I dislike the most is the inability to dial from my bluetooth headset via Voice Command. Unless someone has come up with a fix, this is one of the main reasons I have been toying with the idea of selling it.

I like the today screen lookup feature, but the other is way more important to me.

JC

You were incorrect about how typing a name only brings up one number for each contact. When I type in "2, 6, 3" (AND) I get first the most recently called number of my brother (andrew) and then his other number, and then everyone else, including all of their numbers.

I'm a'thinkin HKINGS might perhaps be a plant for AT&T aka 'bad reception' ....

The Kid
    From what I heard, the i760 is supposed to have FULL smartphone functionality along with the PDA functionality. That being said, it should do what remnant says. It did the same thing with my i600.

JC

Quote Originally Posted by navarroj View Post
    From what I heard, the i760 is supposed to have FULL smartphone functionality along with the PDA functionality. That being said, it should do what remnant says. It did the same thing with my i600.

JC
    Huh? I don't understand what you mean, "the i760 is supposed to have FULL smartphone functionality along with the PDA functionality."?

It's a PDA. Don't all PDA's have full functionality of Smartphones?

Quote Originally Posted by HKINGS View Post
    Hey everyone!

Well I was indeed one of the lucky ones to get their hands on a i760 sooner than I was supposed to. I received the phone yesterday and have used it a over the last 2 days now. I have some thoughts on functionality, etc coming from / currently still owning a Treo 700wx.

Here are my thoughts:

- Front Dial Key Pad: This is one of the main reasons I bought this phone. To have Windows Mobile functionality and bigger buttons for numbers with text on them for vanity numbers, etc.

- Screen: Bigger than the Treo and much brighter and more Crisp! Love the screen!

- Looks: The phone is actually very appealing looks wise.

- Form Factor / Build: Phone fits nicely in my hand, but the Treo was nice too. Both feel similar in weight with i760 being slightly lighter. i760 seems to have a better metal-like build quality to it. Overall dimensions are similar.

- Camera: Has tons of options for a cell phone camera, a flash, and is almost like a regular digital in you can take Sepia, black and white pics, etc. Kinda fun!

DISLIKES:

- Front Dial Key Pad: While I like the fact they are there, for whatever reason I was under the impression they might be bigger or more legible. Also, I REALLY dislike how the "Soft Key" buttons are off-centered to the left side as is the clear button. I really find it hard to get used to and quite annoying. The Treo "Soft Keys" are perfect in that they are right under the menu buttons they correspond with on the screen. Same goes for the "Soft Keys" on the slide out keyboard. They just feel out of place. 700wx layout just feels more natural...

- Send & End Keys: Really awkward place... they are easy to hit when handling the phone, yet when I do want to use them they feel hard to get to and press. Another very annoying thing when compared to 700wx that I feel has keys in perfect area.

- Windows & OK Keys: Again, maybe I'm just REALLY used to the 700wx, but on the i760 they are both little black buttons on the side of the phone and I feel like I'm searching for them when trying to press them... again, more annoying than anything else. I like the fact those buttons are front and center on the 700wx right under my main menu "soft key" buttons.

- Slide Out Keyboard: While I kind of like the slide out keyboard functionality, I don't like the soft mushy keys. Feels like I have to press harder on them to get input on screen and I can already see the keyboard wearing out quicker (Ex: letters wearing off keys, soft plastic wear, etc.) Again, I never thought I would say I like the Treo keyboard better and am used to the one handed text typing with it... I can even do 2-handed text typing with my Treo also comfortably.

- Phone Call Functionality: This is going to be the deal breaker for me. When you type in a contact's name on the front dial pad, you get your list of contacts as you should which is fine. However it only lists their main/ default / last called number On the 700wx when you start typing a name, it brings up the contacts with ALL of their numbers underneath it so I can just scroll down to the number I need without having to open the contact, etc. I looked through all the setting and view options and didn't see a way to make the i760 display all the numbers when spelling a name from the Today screen like my 700wx, but I could have missed something and be totally wrong on this. Was this part of the special Today screen Palm created with WM5? In any event, this is something Ive grown to LOVE on my 700wx and don't want to "go back" in call functionality.

CONCLUSION:

I hate to return the i760, but that's what I'm going to end up doing. I REALLY wanted to love this phone and have been following it for almost a year like many of you on here. The bottom line is I want a phone first and a PDA second, this still falls short of the Treo 700WX for ease of one-handed use and WM call features. If there is something I'm missing to make this more 700wx like on the Today screen, please let me know ASAP and I will give this phone more time to try. While I understand there will be a learning curve with any new phone or technology, the layout of the buttons and the call functionality kill it for me... but thats just personal opinion. For those that haven't used a Treo 700w/wx, this might be just what you were looking for! Its not a bad phone at all! Just not gonna fit my needs, likes or preferences.

I might take a look at the XV5800 when it hits Verizon as the non-touch screen isn't a deal breaker for me, but the buttons are centered on the front dial pad and I think there are OK and Windows keys on the front as well, but again I could be wrong. If not... it looks like I'll be waiting on the rumored 800w... and that might not even be any good... who knows!

Hope this is informative to some! Feel free to ask questions, I'm happy to answer!

I too have been using the i760 coming from the 700wx. I wanted to comment on some of your observations;

1) As far the front dial buttons, I was much more disapointed that they do not support t9 than anything else. I also dont like the fact that the directional pad has not lighting to help you see it the dark. From a smartdling stand point, I really am not concerned about it. Its just an extra press to get to the number you like. The fact that you can voice dial over bluetooth is enough to offset the reduced functionality. The offset buttons are rediculous quite frankly. Stupid really. but after using it for a day and half its already second nature to hit them.
    2) Send and end keys-again, stupid placement, but again, I am used to them already and I have not hit them once by accident.
    3) Windows and ok keys-sounds like a broken record, but again, stupid placement. Especially without a scroll wheel. A scroll wheel would have made it much easier. but again, after two days of usage, its not as bad as my first impression.
    4) Slide out keyboard-before my Treo I was using the 6700 so I knew what to expect with the slide out keyboard. I am still adjusting to it. The keys are so far apart its like learning to type all over again. If I needed to send 10 texts a week one handed that was a lot. Its one of those things that each person need to evaluate based on thier usage. The keyboard is bit cramped in width, that would be the only negative as far as its layout/quality.

My conclusion as of t+36 hours.

A2DP-The A2DP is great. My treo skipped all the time becuase of the weekness of the bluetooth, I have not yet experienced this. I did have WMP shut down on me a couple of times which I dont know was caused by the fact I am using a 4gb microsd card with the HCSD drivers hack. I use my device for music alot which is one of the main reasons I upgraded. so I will be watching this closely.
    Memory-My WX had between 38-40 mb of free ram and soft reset. More than enough to run pretty much every app I have at once without slowdown. I was a bit concerned with the 28-30 mb on the i760 at soft reset. After a day of use I am much less concerned. It seems the device is managing memory usage quite well and I have had no slow downs with many apps running at once.
    BT Voice Dialing-this is a huge plus.
    Battery performance-Seems to be about 30% more than my Treo, using the i760 extended battery. Although I went from 55% to 35% in about three seconds about an hour ago. but still, I had the i730 for about a week and the extended battery would last about three hours and it would be almost dead. So this is a big improvment.

Overall I would take full advantage of Verizons trial period before you send it back. some of the shortcoming you wrote about may not be as important when you really get a chance to use all the functions. With that said, I am not totally sold, but look forward to trying everything else out. I can tell you that it actually hurts my ear when I hold the phone next to my head. The fact that the speaker at the top is so close to the edge, I feel like its digging into my head. And why a phone with WM6 and just released doesnt support hcsd cards is pathetic.

Day 1 with i760 - also coming fro Treo 700WX and so far so good. Again GOD AWFUL hard button placement of Send/End Keys WTF? It is a tad bit slower than the Treo 700WX in both vanilla & with same 3rd Party App's installed. I like the size and fell of the phone. Haven't tried pairing with Jaw Bone but that is next.